Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2018, 07:14 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,274,934 times

Advertisements

17 people died yesterday evening in my neck of the woods. They died of optimism and stupidity. A local amphibious lake touring craft went down on Table Rock Lake near Branson, MO, in high wind conditons which caused six foot waves on the lake. All afternoon, my radio on the jobsite was being cut into by the NWS alerts for severe thunderstorm warnings. Yet, 31 people thought it advisable to take a spin on a big lake in such conditions, because, "Hey, the sun is shining, and the tour operators wouldn't go out if it was going to be bad, would they?" And the operators, to include the "captain" ignored weather alerts and kept running. Well, surprise, surprise! A storm kicked up some 60mph winds, which made some healthy wave action, which swamped a craft not designed for rough water, and over half the people aboard died. Some were kids. The rest were idiots. Idiots get into a rusty amphibious vehicle to go riding on the lake in bad weather, because they put the responsibility for good sense and their own safety on someone they don't even know. And they die in complete shock at what is happening when the other humans they trusted to entertain them and keep them safe fail to do so. Sound like anyone you know? Wanna bet if I went there with friends or family infected with the same optimism and stupidity suffered by the rest, and decided to stay ashore, I might get teased and even heckled for being too afraid to go out because it might storm? That's what the folks who mock survivalists are. People who trust others to make sure life is always peachy for them. Sometimes it works out. Sometimes they die. You know why I attempt to be prepared for things not going as planned in my daily life? Because I don't want to die of optimistic stupidity. What a waste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 09:27 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post
17 people died yesterday evening in my neck of the woods. They died of optimism and stupidity. A local amphibious lake touring craft went down on Table Rock Lake near Branson, MO, in high wind conditons which caused six foot waves on the lake. All afternoon, my radio on the jobsite was being cut into by the NWS alerts for severe thunderstorm warnings. Yet, 31 people thought it advisable to take a spin on a big lake in such conditions, because, "Hey, the sun is shining, and the tour operators wouldn't go out if it was going to be bad, would they?" And the operators, to include the "captain" ignored weather alerts and kept running. Well, surprise, surprise! A storm kicked up some 60mph winds, which made some healthy wave action, which swamped a craft not designed for rough water, and over half the people aboard died. Some were kids. The rest were idiots. Idiots get into a rusty amphibious vehicle to go riding on the lake in bad weather, because they put the responsibility for good sense and their own safety on someone they don't even know. And they die in complete shock at what is happening when the other humans they trusted to entertain them and keep them safe fail to do so. Sound like anyone you know? Wanna bet if I went there with friends or family infected with the same optimism and stupidity suffered by the rest, and decided to stay ashore, I might get teased and even heckled for being too afraid to go out because it might storm? That's what the folks who mock survivalists are. People who trust others to make sure life is always peachy for them. Sometimes it works out. Sometimes they die. You know why I attempt to be prepared for things not going as planned in my daily life? Because I don't want to die of optimistic stupidity. What a waste.
The best planning can fail. No one can be sure of survival. The passengers on that boat had a reasonable expectation of a safe trip: that's what a court will certainly rule, but the people did die.

I was on this ferry. It travels rough water daily without mishap. However, take a look at the ferry timetable at the bottom of the linked page.

The Glenelg to Skye Ferry

Old 07-21-2018, 08:51 AM

643 posts, read 329,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post
.." they died of optimism and stupidity".

However the same can be said about those older "rugged individuals" whom the TV reporters seek out because they refuse to evacuate when hurricane warnings or even volcano warnings are given.

They use the excuse ....."I'm not scared"...just like those who went on the duck boats.

They also perish, yet many people admire them for their bravery instead of condemn them for their foolishness.

Harry Truman at Mt St Helens comes to mind.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:55 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,645,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
Either rules on this forum have become much more lenient in recent weeks or I have a fan in staff ranks here.. I have two infractions on my account for posts that are far more lenient that some here on the same subject matter..

One is for a two sentence post on avoiding over-development and HOA that has ZERO swear words in it and mentioned no user.. The other was criticizing calling the cops on people for driving cheap older used cars..

I'm talking post instantly deleted and instant strike on my account.. Some posts in this and some other threads are close to storm-front content and it's like people are asking who has good prices on kayaks..
There is NOTHING resembling Storm-Front in here
(unless it is posted by some snowflake that I have on
ignore, since I wouldn't see that) but the standard for what
is acceptable does vary somewhat from forum to forum.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchisedec View Post
.." they died of optimism and stupidity".

However the same can be said about those older "rugged individuals" whom the TV reporters seek out because they refuse to evacuate when hurricane warnings or even volcano warnings are given.

They use the excuse ....."I'm not scared"...just like those who went on the duck boats.

They also perish, yet many people admire them for their bravery instead of condemn them for their foolishness.

Harry Truman at Mt St Helens comes to mind.
You will not find those people "admired for their bravery" among preppers.

You apparently have 'preppers' confused with stupid people,
who are the bane of the "Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness" forum.

We prepare for disaster, we don't court it.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:21 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Either rules on this forum have become much more lenient in recent weeks or I have a fan in staff ranks here.. I have two infractions on my account for posts that are far more lenient that some here on the same subject matter..

One is for a two sentence post on avoiding over-development and HOA that has ZERO swear words in it and mentioned no user.. The other was criticizing calling the cops on people for driving cheap older used cars..

I'm talking post instantly deleted and instant strike on my account.. Some posts in this and some other threads are close to storm-front content and it's like people are asking who has good prices on kayaks..
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
There is NOTHING resembling Storm-Front in here
is acceptable does vary somewhat from forum to forum.
What does this have to do with the previous post?

Old 07-21-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
You will not find those people "admired for their bravery" among preppers.

You apparently have 'preppers' confused with stupid people,
who are the bane of the "Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness" forum.

We prepare for disaster, we don't court it.
2nd paragraph.......I recall some regular posters on this forum stating how you prevent anyone from trespassing on your land is you put up signs stating......." crossing this line costs $10,000"..

They then stated anyone caught doing so, a judge orders him to pay you $10,000.

It wasn't so bad that one regular poster posted that, but how many agreed that it actually worked.

Now, you were talking about " stupid people" ?

Old 07-21-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Either rules on this forum have become much more lenient ...
Some posts in this ... are close to storm-front content ....
Quote:
There is NOTHING] resembling Storm-Front in here
is acceptable
does vary somewhat from forum to forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
What does this have to do with the previous post?
I don't know...
You tell me ...
[/sarcsasm]

Old 07-21-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchisedec View Post
2nd paragraph.......I recall some regular posters on this forum stating how you prevent anyone from trespassing on your land is you put up signs stating......." crossing this line costs $10,000"..

They then stated anyone caught doing so, a judge orders him to pay you $10,000.

It wasn't so bad that one regular poster posted that, but how many agreed that it actually worked.

Now, you were talking about " stupid people" ?
No, actually, I am starting to wonder if I am talking
to someone who fishes with a small electric motor.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
No, actually, I am starting to wonder if I am talking
to someone who fishes with a small electric motor.
Did you ever collect on the $10,000 a judge awarded you due to a sign ?..SARC

I still laugh at all the stupid people on this thread who said that it really does work.

I thought I was reading a UFO thread from Roswell New Mexico when I read that foolishness and read other posters I thought were intelligent agreeing with the airhead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness