Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 08:23 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,080,965 times

Advertisements

There is not 1 bear within 800 miles of here, yet there remains a can of bear spray in my car.
When you drive in bad neighborhoods, space yourself when stopped at red lights to leave an exit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 09:13 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,265,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Keep on movin' on...go about your business.

Stay out of the cities. This never happens in the boonies.
BS! Try on Holden,Mo. I don't know if they still do it; but the rednecks used to hangout at a wide spot in the road on the south side of town and would chase and harass anyone they decided too. Been there and had it happen to me.

Growing up in Mo next to the Ks stateline i saw with my own eyes in both states.. You could go to any small town on a Friday night and meet willing women that would date you. Just be damn sure that you aren't there on Saturday night. The boy friend of the woman you met last night and his buddies will be cruising the town looking for you. Their introduction won't be friendly.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:22 AM

2,309 posts, read 905,361 times
Floor it and high tail it out of there. If that's not an option carry a firearm.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:31 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,582,530 times
Drive faster?

Old 11-18-2017, 10:01 AM
KCZ

4,689 posts, read 3,694,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
There is not 1 bear within 800 miles of here, yet there remains a can of bear spray in my car.
When you drive in bad neighborhoods, space yourself when stopped at red lights to leave an exit.
Hmm. Is it feasible to use bear spray (or pepper spray) from inside a car and directed toward someone trying to get in? I would be concerned about some of the spray being disseminated in the car and incapacitating the driver. Maybe I'll try this with a can of air freshener and see how much remains in the car.

Last edited by KCZ; 11-18-2017 at 10:50 AM..

Old 11-18-2017, 10:13 AM

4,573 posts, read 5,691,585 times
Lightbulb You've got a 3,500 blunt instrument, use it!

If you can't avoid an incident, then the important thing with a vehicle is to keep moving. Slow down if you must, but try to maintain a steady pace -- people will usually get out of your way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Hmm. Is it feasible to use bear spray (or pepper spray) from inside a car and directed toward someone trying to get in? I would be concerned about some of the spray being disseminated in the car and incapacitating the driver. Maybe I'll try this with a car of air freshener and see how much remains in the car.
Unlike air freshener, many defense sprays are designed to emit a "stream" rather than a cloud, but if your aim or the wind is wrong, you'll get blowback.

Pistol caliber "buffalo bore" doesn't have this problem, is designed for "intermediate barrier" penetration (windshields, car doors, etc).

Old 11-18-2017, 10:26 AM

6,355 posts, read 4,944,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Revv engine.... Rack the slide of a semi auto pistol....
Wouldn't need to rack my slide. Mine is DAO. Always ready to fire.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:49 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,112,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Keep on movin' on...go about your business.

Stay out of the cities. This never happens in the boonies.

Boonies just present other dangers that require you to be alert and ready to turn and high tail it out of there if necessary. Well, maybe your boonies don't offer sudden dangers but mine sure do so you won't catch me being complacent about my boonies.

A group of bush-beater mud trucks surrounding you with drunk redneck country punks behind the wheels, sudden mudslides, snow avalanches, rock slides, flash floods, wildfires, wind storms and downed and crashing trees, sink holes, collapsed bridges and torn up road surfaces, a herd of stupid deer jumping out in front of you, a family of skunks crossing the road ..... a foul tempered bull moose challenging you in the middle of the road licking his lips at you and ready to charge head on at your truck. Any of these can happen suddenly out in the boonies, not to mention other vehicles on an icy road suddenly losing control directly in front of you.

Old 11-18-2017, 11:21 AM

4,908 posts, read 2,703,906 times
easy fix......trunk monkey..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AidAXgq9dWc

Old 11-18-2017, 11:27 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,508,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
BS! Try on Holden,Mo. I don't know if they still do it; but the rednecks used to hangout at a wide spot in the road on the south side of town and would chase and harass anyone they decided too. Been there and had it happen to me.
That's not the boonies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
A group of bush-beater mud trucks surrounding you with drunk redneck country punks behind the wheels, sudden mudslides, snow avalanches, rock slides, flash floods, wildfires, wind storms and downed and crashing trees, sink holes, collapsed bridges and torn up road surfaces, a herd of stupid deer jumping out in front of you, a family of skunks crossing the road ..... a foul tempered bull moose challenging you in the middle of the road licking his lips at you and ready to charge head on at your truck.
What do any of these things have to do with gangs on foot surrounding your car??

THAT was the question, not "general road hazards".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness