Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 12:21 PM

5,770 posts, read 3,219,640 times

Advertisements

Speed up and plow through them. Then turn around and make a second pass to get those that I missed. Hey we just stumbled on a good movie of the week plot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 12:48 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post

What do any of these things have to do with gangs on foot surrounding your car??

THAT was the question, not "general road hazards".

The question was What would you do if a gang began approaching your car while you were driving?

I think it's a mistake for you to make a GENERAL statement that that kind of thing never happens in the boonies just because it doesn't happen in the apparently more sheltered and less populated boonies where you are. These days a gang of thugs (or a group of angry marching protestors or looters or other kind of human road blockade) on foot or in cars or motorcycles or bicycles approaching and surrounding your car ARE a road hazard like any other road hazard anywhere, the boonies being no exception.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:11 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
I'd step on the gas and whoever was dumb enough not to get out of my way only have themselves to blame.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:30 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
There is not 1 bear within 800 miles of here, yet there remains a can of bear spray in my car.
When you drive in bad neighborhoods, space yourself when stopped at red lights to leave an exit.

If in a very bad area late at night---WTH are you doing there in the first place GET OUT by any means, legal or illegal.

Do NOT slow down or stop for red lights or stop signs. Watch traffic very carefully, but do NOT stop.

Do NOT pull over to read a map You might as well put up a sign--I'm lost, alone, come get me

Your life matters more than obeying traffic laws. Once I was lost in Downtown Detroit, just me and my friend. I wanted to get back on the freeway, I could see it right in front of me but no way to get on it, except go the wrong way down a one-way street, which is what I did. I figured a ticket was well worth it, and if the maneuver brought out a cop so much the better!

Always keep all doors and windows locked

Know your area and where you're going

Avoid bad areas

Like the AP said, don't let yourself get wedged in at traffic lights

Don't be afraid to do what you have to, including running reds, stop signs, ignore one-way signs if that's the only way out

If surrounded, floor it! Don't worry about hurting someone, just worry about yourself!

But first and foremost--Stay out of bad areas!

Old 11-18-2017, 01:59 PM

3,976 posts, read 1,988,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue20 View Post
I have seen this quite a few times on TV, and of course when the gang surrounds the car, the victim stops the car. Then the gang signal to each other and smash the windows in and drag the victim out and beat them. I never have had this happen to me and never intend to put myself in that position, but personally, what would you do if you were minding your own business when all of a sudden a gang began surrounding your car with the intent to hurt you. I'm curious about what everyone's approach would be to this situation.

Seems a bit of a far fetched "what if" scenario unless there is massive social unrest, or you live in a very high crime area.

But this is a product designed to combat carjacking, designed in South Africa where car jacking is a very big problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLhWzMOccTg

Other than something like that, personally I would drive out of the situation if possible. I would not get out of the car.

Old 11-18-2017, 02:06 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
Keep on movin' on...go about your business.

Stay out of the cities. This never happens in the boonies.
LOL!! Where have you been?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT9b9iDRdjI

Old 11-18-2017, 02:06 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times
First off, I wouldn't permit an angry mob to stop my car. If they gave me no doubts about their intentions to seriously harm me or my occupants, I'd press my foot to the gas pedal and leave the area. If any of them got crushed under my tires that's their problem for standing in front of a moving vehicle.

Old 11-18-2017, 02:26 PM

25,689 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
Folks, the things you see on television are not a good representation of reality.
Then where are they filmed? In a movie production company back lot?

Lot's of things hardly ever happen. But when they do happen... well that's when you see the either dead, injured, or crying victims on TV the next day (you know, that incident that wasn't reality).

The best defense against that sort of thing is to reside (and STAY) in an area where that has never happened and does not have the "ingredients" that would even make it a possibility.

On the other hand, if I were in that situation... accelerator pedal to the floor.

Old 11-18-2017, 02:33 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
The best defense against that sort of thing is to reside (and STAY) in an area where that has never happened and does not have the "ingredients" that would even make it a possibility.
ChrisC, good to see you back! Been overrun with urbanites, liberals, millennials, and wacko topics lately. Could use the old crew back here!

Old 11-18-2017, 02:59 PM

25,689 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Quote:
ChrisC, good to see you back! Been overrun with urbanites, liberals, millennials, and wacko topics lately. Could use the old crew back here!
I do pop in every once in awhile. Just can't resist.

I have noticed some rather, shall we say, "wild" topics at times. Urbanites, liberals, and millennials. Sounds like an Excedrin headache in the making.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness