Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2017, 11:57 AM

857 posts, read 959,004 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at a property that has a year round creek. I am wondering if creek water can be taken and fed through the same filtering and ozone treatment, to produce drinkable water?

This is up in the Sierras, so it probably doesn't have industrial contamination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2017, 12:13 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,643,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
I'm looking at a property that has a year round creek. I am wondering if creek water can be taken and fed through the same filtering and ozone treatment, to produce drinkable water?

This is up in the Sierras, so it probably doesn't have industrial contamination.
About 98 percent of the time, yes. If it emerges from a spring, or flows for miles on its way to you, you should probably have it tested once, though, just to be sure it doesn't flow though any toxic mineral deposits (an unlikely, though not impossible, source of contamination).

Old 11-26-2017, 12:33 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,578,245 times
The big thing to watch for in free flowing mountain streams is beaver fever, aka giardia. Carried through animal feces, it can show up anywhere animals can drink.
Filters can get the cists out of the water, but a full treatment is a good idea for long term safety.

Old 11-26-2017, 12:40 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,303,298 times
Being the nanny state of CA I thought they might have strict water rights laws not allowing you to even look at the water on your land.

According to this https://www.waterboards.ca.gov/water..._process.shtml though you do have the right to use, but not divert any riparian water flowing on or adjacent to your land. Much friendlier than CO water laws.

Property with live water on it is nice. Good luck!

Old 11-26-2017, 12:51 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,643,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
The big thing to watch for in free flowing mountain streams is beaver fever, aka giardia. Carried through animal feces, it can show up anywhere animals can drink.
Filters can get the cists out of the water, but a full treatment is a good idea for long term safety.
You are absolutely right, but he said he was going to treat it
with ozonation, so I wasn't too worried about that.

Ozonation is something I have been meaning to look into.
Sounds promising, for preppers.
Water Research Watershed Center - Ozonation in Water Treatment
Quote:
Ozone has a greater disinfection effectiveness against bacteria and viruses compared to chlorination. In addition, the oxidizing properties can also reduce the concentration of iron, manganese, sulfur and reduce or eliminate taste and odor problems. Ozone oxides the iron, manganese, and sulfur in the water to form insoluble metal oxides or elemental sulfur. These insoluble particles are then removed by post-filtration. Organic particles and chemicals will be eliminated through either coagulation or chemical oxidation. Ozone is unstable, and it will degrade over a time frame ranging from a few seconds to 30 minutes. The rate of degradation is a function of water chemistry, pH and water temperature.

Old 11-29-2017, 02:04 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Rather than ask us on here, by all means get a sample of the water to a lab and get it tested. I would expect mountain spring water to be good enough to "make" into drinking water, but one test is worth more than a whole book of speculation.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:06 AM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
I use water from a creek and have done so for ten years. While I might not have a degree in water sciences, I made it a point to be informed.

Ozonization alone is insufficient.

Giardia cysts are filtered out by 1 micron ceramic filters. Those cysts are tough and can survive a lot.

I'm aware of what is upstream on my creek, and the watershed is small and controlled, with much of the water coming from springs that enter the creek. An important point is that the area is limestone, shale, and chert. All of those are relatively benign. In the west, there is a larger chance that there are more toxic minerals, up to and including uranium, and there may be mining runoff from old mines.

M3 Mitch is correct that testing would be prudent, but be prepared to pucker up when you read the cost of the tests required to insure safety. They AIN'T cheap, and a single test is insufficient. You want at least one set of tests from low water and one from high water.

I use creek water with chlorination for household and shower use, but I distill my drinking water and then polish it with a carbon filter I might add a seashell or bit of coral from time to time to the distilled water, and I'll use Doulton filtered water if I am cooking veggies, but I regard the chlorine treated creek water as unsuitable for actual drinking without at least ceramic and carbon treatment.

Old 11-30-2017, 02:40 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
I have a dug well about 30' from the creek, so the water filters through sand and gravel to get to the well. I have a 1 micron paper filter on the well, which needs changing about once every 3 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness