Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 07:55 AM

4,173 posts, read 2,571,303 times

Advertisements

Thanks Karl,

For the uninitiated, here is what my favorite go to fun dictionary has to say about "Wife Beaters". This is the first I've heard of the term. I don't get out much, lol.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...=wife%20beater

Maybe you were building muscle which has better blood flow bringing warmth along with it idk. But think of the money you save on winter clothes. Or maybe you have a high set point, a high metabolism that keeps you warmer than most. Anyway, you could probably do a "Polar Bear Plunge" some cold places have in the middle of winter where they jump into a freezing cold pond to benefit charity, or something?

Last edited by mlulu23; 01-04-2018 at 08:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 01:57 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Getting pounded with this winter storm!

I've been out in the pickup with the plow for much of the day. All 3 dogs with me!
Although this webcam is south of us, it looks like what's happening here:

Webcam: Four Corners, LaGrange | TRC

Old 01-04-2018, 05:37 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
Looks like my neck of the woods

Just heard on the radio this "cyclone bomb" is what used to be called a good old fashioned Nor'Eastah.....

Old 01-04-2018, 05:52 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post

I've been out in the pickup with the plow for much of the day. All 3 dogs with me!

Once upon a time, winters looked like that around here. Oh well. Maybe next year.

Old 01-04-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I enjoyed your post. Real estate promoters seem to be their own biggest clients. Whether they're selling town lots, farms, or factory sites they seem to get caught up in it. Lenders too: they were leading the charge in housing markets from 2000-2008 just as they were encouraging the purchase of Italian country estates almost exactly two thousand years earlier.

The more forgotten areas around Central City, Colorado are the home—or perhaps graveyard is a more accurate term—of some very odd-looking pieces of rusting machinery. These include many newly invented machines in the battle with refractory ores to get the gold out more easily. They never worked except in the minds of the inventors. The Central City District had easy ore near the surface. Simple milling removed most of the gold. However, as the mines went deeper, ll sorts of problems arose because of sulphides. That required smelting as well as shipping to Wales of copper matte for final refining. Marginal mines were closing. Dozens of promoters came out with their nutty but expensive gold extraction devices.

The early milling processes left far too much of the gold in the dump. I've actually smelted some stuff from the early days and pulled good values. There's still plenty of interesting stuff to see in that area as well as in other Colorado gold districts.

Promoters can often be swindlers, but my reading indicates that they were a happy bunch who generally believed their own tall tales. They weren't criminals; they were dreamers. I'd give anything to have been there.
Mining history around the inter-mountain west is a very interesting research topic. I was really pretty sad when the BLM came a few years back and blasted or capped so many of the old shafts--some of them very famous producers of the past. History gone. You have to look pretty hard to find one untouched these days around here. There are a few, though--most in really hard to get to areas.

Old 01-04-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Thanks Karl,

For the uninitiated, here is what my favorite go to fun dictionary has to say about "Wife Beaters". This is the first I've heard of the term. I don't get out much, lol.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...=wife%20beater

Maybe you were building muscle which has better blood flow bringing warmth along with it idk. But think of the money you save on winter clothes. Or maybe you have a high set point, a high metabolism that keeps you warmer than most. Anyway, you could probably do a "Polar Bear Plunge" some cold places have in the middle of winter where they jump into a freezing cold pond to benefit charity, or something?
It is interesting that some people just handle really cold or hot weather better than most. Those runners who compete in the Death Valley ultra-marathon, to me, are nutsoid. And some do actually collapse along the way and can't finish. But a few actually make it. I'd be dead as a door nail. I handle cold all right with the proper clothing, but really high temps? No way. Can't take that at all. Never could. At least not while trying to do anything physical. Even lying under the shade tree doesn't cut it. I just cook... misery at it's finest.

Old 01-04-2018, 06:01 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:

I am really close to LaGrange.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:31 PM

731 posts, read 678,780 times
Death Valley re-inactors! The official website of the Death Valley '49ers, Inc. - Wagon Train & Horseback Riders

In 2016, 10 covered wagons, two carts, 40 people, (some on horseback), plus 4 dogs crossed 100 miles in a week.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:33 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Mining history around the inter-mountain west is a very interesting research topic. I was really pretty sad when the BLM came a few years back and blasted or capped so many of the old shafts--some of them very famous producers of the past. History gone. You have to look pretty hard to find one untouched these days around here. There are a few, though--most in really hard to get to areas.
I can remember when they were all over Colorado. No one ever mentioned it, let alone complained.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:08 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,571,303 times
Quote:

Oh my gosh ! I've plumb forgotten what that was like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness