Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 08:27 PM

639 posts, read 376,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
The OP is a male and his SO, approaching retirement age. Lives in AZ, which he claims to hate, but undecided whether to move to Maine, Appalachia, Missouri, or the American Redoubt (PNW inland). Cannot understand why he's considering the van option, unless he's just unsure where he'd like to settle, and wants to "try it out" first.

No one should be contemplating retirement unless they have some assets to invest in property, IMHO.
The northeast will be COLD, which is a challenge for conversion van living. It's a tough idea for those that are older.

I'm mid 30s, looking to make bank working a traveling position while doing it, etc..

The system is designed to take away my money to give to others, so I don't feel the least bit bad about using the system to help me get to a point of where I can actually start saving for retirement.

Instead of simply paying for everyone elses.

I will be in the southern Cali area. Better temps than the north. It is and can be done, but requires a bit of a different setup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 10:42 AM

423 posts, read 289,055 times
Here is an interesting article on van and RV living without an actual home.
'Castaways' in motor homes feel stranded on society's fringe

Old 03-04-2018, 02:58 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo_Lorem View Post
I'm mid 30s, looking to make bank working a traveling position while doing it, etc..
If you are really mid-30s, you haven't a clue what it's like for older people. Not as bad as you probably think. I'm double your age (70) and could outlast you on the road. Most of here, could do so.

Old 03-09-2018, 04:49 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
I enjoy marking my own territory. Men and male animals of all kinds are great markers of territoty, but women also enjoy this. In order to mark territory, land is required. Yes you can roam around but I think it is more deeply satisfying to return to home base.
Yep, when I first decided to move away from big crowded state, and smog, I got people saying rent an apartment.... Ugh. hate the things. I want to feel like its mine.

When looking for an old little house, found one, price was negotiated and it was mine. But I have painted, built shelves, put up a fence, and so on. Its mine. It's home. I've got greater plans, but am not in a hurry. What matters is I'll do the stuff when its fully materialized in my imagination.

I'm looking at the tiny houses and small ones as a key to finishing it up. Technically it qualifies as one already by size. To some, storage is clutter. I'm working on making it organizaiton, maybe making the one small one mostly set up this way. I tend to buy things in bulk online so it would work well.

I'm more doing multi use rooms that just one too. I'm trying to set up things centrally used as having the stuff used near and the back log and less used stuff organized elsewhere it can be gotten to easily.

Sort of a half tiny plan. But its my home for me so if I don't make it look 'ordinary', all the better.

You can go out in the smaller towns in the midwest/Oklahoma area and buy them really cheap as well and be in a small town. Just keep your car.

Old 03-09-2018, 05:06 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtm100912 View Post
I'm a big fan of Bob Wells. He also has a web site and forum Cheap RV Living.com-Home
Also, this lady doesn't live in a van but a small RV and some of her info is very helpful Carolyn's Full Time RV LIfe (She also has a YouTube channel by same name)
Also:
Class B Forums
http://vagabloggers.com/
Mobile Kodgers
Carliving.info - Free information about living in cars, vans and campervans. (directs you to a page where a myriad of topics of van life and solutions are listed)

And I'm sure there are many others but this is just a few.

There are many other You Tubers out there like him out there these days who are very helpful.

Enigmatic Nomadics https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_W...xwpSOaqMjOOBTg. Jamie hosts a Van Build party every winter. (he also has a blog: Enigmatic Nomadics

There are others giving advice on Solar, Boondocking, etc. And of course Bob hosts his RTR every winter.
For a while, I had a VW Van. It was older and had been fixed up and was running great. We used it for a camping trip before splitsville and it had been great. And I loved being higher up and able to see the whole road. When we split, and I got it I just wanted to get away. But someone broke a window and stole it.

It was nice since it wasn't as large as the biggest ones, but when you took out the seats, plenty of space. We'd camped in it a few times and it was very suitable. It was located sort of smashed up. It needed a little bit of work and would refuse to start, but it was easy to fix it if you knew. If only when it stopped they'd have just left it.... poor van.

My eyes don't focus right for distance now, and I don't drive because of it, but I can't help but think about how much I could do with my van.... I do love my home, but would love it more if I got away for a while.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:16 AM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
I've got a nice van down by the river - Matt Foley

Old 03-15-2018, 03:53 PM

423 posts, read 289,055 times
Nightbird, why don't you get some glasses?

My second car of my life was a white VW bus named Ignats. There were no seats in the back, it was a rolling barn. I kept my horse in a pasture across town when I first got out of High School. It had saddle, bridles, grooming equipment, hay bales and grain. For a while there was a rabbit living back there and also plenty of mice. The end of Ignats came when a college kid driving drunk sideswiped a whole row of cars. Ignats was totaled and I got $350 for it. I took the money and went to southern Mexico and rode the people's buses all over with the chickens and the goats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness