Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 10:33 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times

Advertisements

It tastes good and it's good for you. An eighteen month supply takes up little space. I like it both with salt, pepper, oil, powdered or grated cheese, and other flavorings (probably not all at the same time) or with cream for breakfast. Some people add sugar, honey, or various syrups as well. It's available in a variety of sizes, flavors, and packaging. Special storage methods aren't necessary if it's used in a reasonable time. Have a basket to use on a cook stove in case of trouble, but use an electric when you want it in five minutes or less.

Preparedness needn't always be complicated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 10:36 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
a can of gas lasts 18 months too, with it you can drive away from your disaster area and to somewhere nice

or do you want to make ethanol out of that corn?

Old 01-14-2018, 11:02 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
I like popcorn because it enables a person to consume high nutritional value foods in small quantity and not feel hungry. If you eat an energy bar, you'll probably feel hungry in short order. Down some popcorn with that energy bar and the hunger is gone. Makes performing task much easier when your mind isn't on your stomach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I like it both with salt, pepper, oil, powdered or grated cheese, and other flavorings (probably not all at the same time) or with cream for breakfast. Some people add sugar, honey, or various syrups as well. It's available in a variety of sizes, flavors, and packaging.
Yep, just like rice and mash potatoes, popcorn can take on a smorgasbord of taste with simple flavorings. Those little grated cheese packets from the pizzeria are probably the easiest to have and hold (not to mention free) and they probably have a shelf life of a few millennium.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:05 PM

25,725 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
a can of gas lasts 18 months too, with it you can drive away from your disaster area and to somewhere nice

or do you want to make ethanol out of that corn?
And whose yard are you going to squat upon... bang, bang, you're dead.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:52 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,304,690 times
Agree that popcorn is a highly overlooked item. It also has other potential uses. Make sure to buy non GMO popcorn seeds. You don't want to be ingesting roundup while indulging .

I love fresh kettlecorn from the county fair as much as the next guy, but in a survival/ration situation I'm grinding my popcorn kernels up into cornmeal and making corn bread and tortillas. You can do this with regular "popcorn seeds" DIY Cornmeal from Popcorn | Serious Eats

Cornbread could be an entire filling meal with another added ingredient or two. For my body, it's going to fill and sustain me longer than popcorn. Popcorn definitely wins on the quick and easy factor though. Although cornmeal and cornbread certainly aren't hard to make.

Anyone ever see any bulk popcorn kernels for sale online? Link?

Old 01-14-2018, 11:57 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
And whose yard are you going to squat upon... bang, bang, you're dead.
I'd invite myself over for some of your popcorn

you wouldn't turn me away would you?

Old 01-15-2018, 12:27 AM

You can also use popcorn kernels to grind up and make Pinole. The tarahumara people who eat Pinole run 50-100 miles at a time just for fun on basically just this, chia seeds and cigarettes if they are available. Here's a Pinole recipe Tarahumara Pinole and Chia Iskiate Recipe

Old 01-15-2018, 09:27 AM

25,725 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
I'd invite myself over for some of your popcorn

you wouldn't turn me away would you?
Ehhh, my popcorn isn't Orville Redenbacher brand. And to make matters worse, I opened up a bucket of tainted rye the other day. I've been on a witch hunt ever since... so you'd probably be best off down at the FEMA camp where they offer free charging stations. We're a little busy with trials here at the compound, anyway.

Last edited by ChrisC; 01-15-2018 at 09:47 AM..

Old 01-15-2018, 09:33 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Agree that popcorn is a highly overlooked item. It also has other potential uses. Make sure to buy non GMO popcorn seeds. You don't want to be ingesting roundup while indulging .

I love fresh kettlecorn from the county fair as much as the next guy, but in a survival/ration situation I'm grinding my popcorn kernels up into cornmeal and making corn bread and tortillas. You can do this with regular "popcorn seeds" DIY Cornmeal from Popcorn | Serious Eats

Cornbread could be an entire filling meal with another added ingredient or two. For my body, it's going to fill and sustain me longer than popcorn. Popcorn definitely wins on the quick and easy factor though. Although cornmeal and cornbread certainly aren't hard to make.

Anyone ever see any bulk popcorn kernels for sale online? Link?
Sure enough. And you want to avoid Alien Corn too. Who knows what those gray saucer people put in our food?

There is no such thing as GMO popcorn.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:01 AM

Thanks for pointing that out to me. Since a great deal of corn is GMO I figured that popcorn would probably be in on that bandwagon but evidently not at all and a different kind of corn altogether. Who knew. Those popcorn marketing bas***** tricked me by labeling and selling GMO free popcorn when all popcorn is GMO free.

Not sure what point you were trying to make with your aliens comment but I personally don't like to consume lots of GMO corn. Glad I don't have to worry about it with popcorn.

Last edited by 6.7traveler; 01-15-2018 at 10:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness