Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 01:02 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times

Advertisements

I am reading Lucy Irvine's "Castaway"
https://www.amazon.com/Castaway-Lucy...=castaway+lucy

and have gotten to the part where her husband (it's complicated) has returned from a job of fixing engines for the native islanders and was given coffee.

"Coffee!?!" is Lucy's reaction, having been so long without it and G, the husband, explains that it was from a jar which indicates to me as being instant.

Which comes down to the question here.

In primitive conditions, wouldn't ground coffee be more prevalent or is that something like you will take what the suppliers give and it is easier for them to bring instant coffee?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 02:00 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
Quote:

In primitive conditions, wouldn't ground coffee be more prevalent or is that something like you will take what the suppliers give and it is easier for them to bring instant coffee?
In that situation, you'll be lucky to have sufficient food and clean water. Caffeine addicts, tobacco addicts, drug addicts, and alcoholics will all have their crosses to bear. Smart survivalists and preppers will avoid addiction and stock up on this stuff to sell or barter with.

Old 01-26-2018, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
In that situation, you'll be lucky to have sufficient food and clean water. Caffeine addicts, tobacco addicts, drug addicts, and alcoholics will all have their crosses to bear. Smart survivalists and preppers will avoid addiction and stock up on this stuff to sell or barter with.
Okay, then let's approach the question from this angle.

You are rushing off the SS Esperanto with your haul before it falls off the reef and off the continental shelf. On your way out, you pass by the stores and there are cans of coffee and jars of instant. You have seconds to decide which to grab. Which is it?

In my mind, I would grab the cans because it is probably better sealed, more resistant to moisture and maybe it can be used for other things than just drinking. At least the can can probably be used for other things.

Is my line of thinking, however, correct?

Old 01-26-2018, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I wouldn't know. I don't drink coffee. One less bad habit to pay for!

Old 01-26-2018, 02:46 AM

Quote:
There was a case on "The New Detectives" where a husband knocked off his wife (I think) by putting cyanide in the office water cooler. She didn't drink coffee and just filled her water bottle. Others in the office did drink coffee, used the water cooler water for the pot, and didn't die.

Assuming that they all got the same dosage, be it in a few swallows or in a mug, what was the difference? Was it that the coffee grounds filtered the cyanide? That the coffee filter did? That the heating of the water destabilized the cyanide? A combination of all items?

I don't know and I have never gone back to research it.

Considering for a moment the days of the old west, were the cowboys isolated from water organisms by the consumption of coffee (like wine in the days of the Bible) ....or was it just the boiling of the water? Perhaps it is more than just getting the taste and caffiene out of the grounds, but also an exchange factor to some extent.

Things to ponder on.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:51 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,057,869 times
Quote:
You are rushing off the SS Esperanto
Or in this case, the SS Expresso!....

Quote:
In my mind, I would grab the cans because it is probably better sealed, more resistant to moisture and maybe it can be used for other things than just drinking. At least the can can probably be used for other things.
I agree, cans would most likely be more useful in a variety of circumstances over jars in a castaway situation.

Quote:
Actually, drinking coffee may not be all that bad of a habit given certain beneficial properties it provides, and how do you get through those Maine winters without it...?

Old 01-26-2018, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Or in this case, the SS Expresso!........
It's a play on a ship in Red Dwarf.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_t...ty_(Red_Dwarf)

Old 01-26-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Actually, drinking coffee may not be all that bad of a habit given certain beneficial properties it provides, and how do you get through those Maine winters without it...?
I have a wife and 3 big dogs to keep me warm!! Coffee just doesn't measure up!

Old 01-26-2018, 08:07 AM

731 posts, read 678,427 times
But in a survival situation, even if you didn't drink coffee it would be a good trade item.

Those addicted to caffiene will suffer a withdrawl head ache for a couple of days. Then they will be free of the addiction and coffee in whatever form could use it for barter. Its like black gold.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:07 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Okay, then let's approach the question from this angle.

You are rushing off the SS Esperanto with your haul before it falls off the reef and off the continental shelf. On your way out, you pass by the stores and there are cans of coffee and jars of instant. You have seconds to decide which to grab. Which is it?

Definitely jars of instant - don't need brewing and are already dehydrated and thus take up less space, are lighter, and have a shelf life of forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness