Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 02:55 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,479,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
You are not eating grass if you eat a cow.
Yes, you are.

About 30% of the earth's land surface is grasslands. Only grazing animals with 4 stomachs (ungulates) are able to digest grass well enough to gain nutrients from it. Grasslands produce immense quantities of nutrients and proteins, which are inaccessible to humans and other species which cannot digest it. Feeding off the ungulates is the only way that those nutrients and proteins can be distributed to other species.

See All Flesh Is Grass, by Gene Logsdon

and, 1 Peter 1:24 "For, all flesh is grass, and all its glory like flowers of the field, the grass withers and the flowers fall."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 05:21 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,589,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Yes, you are.

About 30% of the earth's land surface is grasslands. Only grazing animals with 4 stomachs (ungulates) are able to digest grass well enough to gain nutrients from it. Grasslands produce immense quantities of nutrients and proteins, which are inaccessible to humans and other species which cannot digest it. Feeding off the ungulates is the only way that those nutrients and proteins can be distributed to other species...
No, you are eating what was once grass when you eat a cow. When you eat a tomato you are not eating carbon dioxide and water plus a few other molecules. Chemical processes change substances into other substances. You can't build a house of mud and straw either, but you can build it of brick. The elements are the same in both, but they are not in the same arrangement. Some ancient writers have commented that plants grow by eating soil. They were wrong. Photosynthesis had not yet been discovered.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:57 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,308,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Crickets are an easy healthy source of fresh protein, vitamins and minerals anyone can do. Pound for pound they have twice as much protein as beef without all the calories and fat. They are almost half protein dried weight. The best part is they are incredibly easy to raise. Even someone renting an apartment with a spare $50 can start their very own cricket farm.

This would also be great for those crazy Elon Musk fans who think someone is actually going to go to mars. They better bring a whole bunch of crickets with them if they want to thrive. They are the ultimate transportable space protein.
So that's where all the crickets have gone. I haven't heard crickets in my area for, literally years. Cicadas yes, crickets, no.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:14 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,298,756 times
He should have send some cricket eggs to mars by now to get started but instead only launched his cherry red telsa complete with mannequin driver though. The image of it with Earth in the background could be the greatest car picture of all time.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post

I still prefer to put my grasshopper, worm or grub on a hook, and use them to catch a fish for a larger, tastier meal.
I can't argue with your method!

Cricket flour definitely seems like a more palatable way for most people to try crickets. Out of sight out of mind.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:03 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,146,026 times
Quote:
Crickets are an easy healthy source of fresh protein, vitamins and minerals anyone can do. Pound for pound they have twice as much protein as beef without all the calories and fat. They are almost half protein dried weight. The best part is they are incredibly easy to raise. Even someone renting an apartment with a spare $50 can start their very own cricket farm.
And how many crickets must be consumed to reach a calorie intake of 1750 calories?

Quote:
Each female cricket lays 5-10 eggs a day so you can quickly be swimming in crickets.
How do you tell females from males?

Old 02-11-2018, 07:04 PM

343 posts, read 229,232 times
I don't know why but I think eating crickets as survival food is about the only way I'd want to eat them. I've had grubs which most would think is really nasty but crickets- I couldn't do the crunch- not out of curiosity or for recreation. I'll keep it in mind if the need ever arises but I sure hope it does not! Yes cricket flour would be more palatable to me certainly.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:35 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,819,899 times
But but but, I'm a vegan.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
But but but, I'm a vegan.
Unfortunately vegans can't even eat crickets. Here is an article explaining why crickets are our friends, not food.
https://www.peta.org/living/food/cri...gs-eat-plants/

Old 02-11-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

How do you tell females from males?
The male ones sing and chirp and females don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness