Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 05:17 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
In other words, eat less food and endure more hunger pangs.....
You just contradicted yourself. How do you CUT something out of your diet without eating less?
You cut out one macro and substitute another. In this case, you would cut out carbs (bread, pasta, cereal, etc) and replace it with protein (yum, juicy steak!) and fat (mmm, garlic butter on the steak!). No need to eat less, or to suffer. Carbs and sugar cause an insulin response, thus add to weight gain. Fats cause no insulin response, and protein only a very mild amount. People everywhere are losing weight while eating more - and hetter - food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The real question is whether people should be hungry all of the time but live longer lives.
No need to be hungry all the time. Read my response above.

Both of you guys -- it's time you both caught up with the times and the new scientific research on obesity, diabetes, the new ways to reduce body fat, and improve health and longevity at the same time. If you don't want to do any research, fine - but don't come over here and try to tell me such things do not exist. They DO exist, in spades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 11:12 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,654,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Modern wheat is an appetite stimulant that can cause definite hunger pangs. Remove all wheat from diet and eat the remainder of the items you were consuming before. You will very likely be satiated for far longer and not wonder when the next time to eat is. No more "starving" sensations at all.
Source- myself based on personal experience
My personal experience is different. For breakfast I have a boiled egg and a slice of Dave’s 21grain wheat bread, slathered with peanut butter, then sprinkled with some local kick butt granola and topped with a sliced banana. That’s my big meal of the day.

My lunch is lighter- lots of leafy greens, fruit and either wild game, fish or chicken and some Tillamook yogurt, then dinner lighter still with a salad and maybe 2oz wild game.

Very predictable, protein rich, nut fat enriched and makes for impeccable regularity.

Ha-ha.

Old 05-31-2018, 06:46 AM

3,122 posts, read 2,066,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
There's only one way to lose weight: Suffer.

* eat less food and endure the hunger pangs
* eat food you don't like
* exercise which causes great suffering to those who didn't exercise before

People don't want to suffer. Hence, we have obesity.

I would think that obesity causes a great deal more suffering.

Agree with Nor'. Either eliminate or reduce refined carbs. They cause blood sugar spikes and crashes which cause those hunger pangs that lead to overeating. Look up the glycemic index and choose foods with low glycemic values to replace the refined carbs. They will stabilize blood sugar and eliminate the spikes and crashes. And you will lose both the hunger pangs and the weight.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:07 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,255,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Carbohydrates, and carbohydrates alone.
My Cardiologist says the same thing. He wants me to drastically limit my intake of carbohydrates. I’m working on it, and so far I’ve dropped two jacket sizes in a year. I know, that doesn’t sound like much, but it sure feels good!

Old 07-21-2018, 10:25 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,272,846 times
I am on a weight reduction plan under the supervision of a doctor. The plan is fully balanced, but does not contain refined foods or sugar. He also required me to work on the reasons for my overeating. I exercise at my local Y daily. I have gone from 235 to 187, headed for 140.

My doctor said losing more than a pound a week can be health hazardous. He is strongly against a diet that contains a severe reduction in anything. He told me that there is a starvation syndrome. If a person's body thinks it is starving, it will slow down metabolism, try to get as much nutrition as possible from each bite. The result can be a reduction in the amount of weight lost, or no weight loss at all.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/8...arvation-diet/

It is difficult to lose only one pound a week. I want to hurry it up.

I miss my chocolate.

Old 07-21-2018, 12:02 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
I have gone from 235 to 187, headed for 140.
Congratulations! Keep up the good work!

Quote:
If a person's body thinks it is starving, it will slow down metabolism
This is true. It's a protective mechanism during lean times (in history) when food was not available. It enabled us to survive the lean times. It's also one reason why we often have such a tough time losing weight.

Quote:
I miss my chocolate.
I hear ya! But you can still eat some once in awhile, just not every day. Try the dark chocolate, such as 86% cocoa. Not so sweet, but very chocolatey!

Try not to lose too quickly. As we get older, our skin does not 'snap back' as quickly, and we can end up looking saggy and wrinkly for awhile, which is not so awfully attractive.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:31 AM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Modern wheat is an appetite stimulant that can cause definite hunger pangs.
Seems to be the exact opposite for me. When I eat wheat (foods made from wheat), oats, barley, rice, spelt, amaranth, quinoa, millet, etc, (which the largest part of my diet is), that seems to "fill me up" faster than anything else. When I eat primarily meat or veggies... I want to keep eating forever. I'm by no means a vegetarian, but I'm really not all that fond of meat. It's mainly grains and dairy for me, with smaller quantities of meat, vegetables, and fruits.

As with most everything else, I try to keep diet simple. I eat the things I like to eat. If I find I am gaining unwanted pounds, I eat smaller quantities of those foods, or move more, or both. I take the simple mathematical approach--calorie count.

As for slowing metabolism? That's good! It happens to me every winter, pretty much. I don't see that as a bad thing. I can eat less. Saves money and prep time, no?

Old 07-23-2018, 07:26 AM

236 posts, read 195,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
At various times, many of us have speculated what the consequences would be of an epidemic here in the US. It may be ebola, bird flu, swine flu, plague, or a resurgence of an old disease, such as polio, smallpox, yellow fever, malaria - that may occur after a natural disaster.

But we do have an epidemic raging right now, called Obesity. You can't catch it, so nobody is panicking. But they should be. It will likely catch you. Over one third of Americans are obese, and upwards of 75% are overweight. Even children are not spared - 30% of children from ages 2 to 19 are overweight or obese. And the numbers keep climbing each year. If you shop at Walmart or walk through a mall, you already know about this.

The consequences? Diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, cardiac ailments, arthritis, shortened lifespan, stroke...not to mention the $ billions spent each year on medical care. Pretty sobering stuff.

Please take the time to examine yourself and your loved ones to determine where on the weight spectrum they fall. Odds are excellent that someone reading this will be affected. Make the effort to lose some weight, and get back into shape. You can't be a survivor if you're dead!
The battle of the bulge is real! If people valued their health, they would work harder at keeping it cuz when it goes, life is very gloomy and sad! I went through several yrs of hard rehab after a car wreck and it taught me that lesson well. When I regained my ability to walk and think it was truly a miracle. In our American culture we spend way too much time sitting and not moving. In Europe they walk all the time since their society and environment is structured that way, which I really love. I'm not trying to get on any soap box but if you want to retain health as you age, you have to cut out certain foods or you will begin to feel the pain! After I turned 55 I started noticing how much better I would feel overall without alot of starchy foods and desserts. Sadly the weight loss experts dont talk about a crucial factor in weight loss and that is self control. Just like forcing yourself to exercise so many times a week, changing your diet takes self control. How bad do you want to feel good and whats it worth to you? Take care of your bod and life is much more enjoyable.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:04 AM

8,040 posts, read 10,632,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I think if the majority of overweight people stopped eating processed, fast food and chain restaurant food, they would lose weight.
Most of the food at these places is ultra processed "frankenfood" that comes in frozen. Once you start cooking your own fresh food at home, you realize how awful it is. The problem with cooking yourself is that it's time consuming, thus the popularity of the chains I guess. But there are people that think it's good. Like Th Olive Garden, oh yeah, that's real italian cuisine there.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:07 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I think if the majority of overweight people stopped eating processed, fast food and chain restaurant food, they would lose weight.
How is their weight relevant in your life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Most of the food at these places is ultra processed "frankenfood" that comes in frozen. Once you start cooking your own fresh food at home, you realize how awful it is. The problem with cooking yourself is that it's time consuming, thus the popularity of the chains I guess. But there are people that think it's good. Like Th Olive Garden, oh yeah, that's real italian cuisine there.
How is their preference for what you don't like a matter of concern?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness