Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 08:27 PM

639 posts, read 374,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
At various times, many of us have speculated what the consequences would be of an epidemic here in the US. It may be ebola, bird flu, swine flu, plague, or a resurgence of an old disease, such as polio, smallpox, yellow fever, malaria - that may occur after a natural disaster.

But we do have an epidemic raging right now, called Obesity. You can't catch it, so nobody is panicking. But they should be. It will likely catch you. Over one third of Americans are obese, and upwards of 75% are overweight. Even children are not spared - 30% of children from ages 2 to 19 are overweight or obese. And the numbers keep climbing each year. If you shop at Walmart or walk through a mall, you already know about this.

The consequences? Diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, cardiac ailments, arthritis, shortened lifespan, stroke...not to mention the $ billions spent each year on medical care. Pretty sobering stuff.

Please take the time to examine yourself and your loved ones to determine where on the weight spectrum they fall. Odds are excellent that someone reading this will be affected. Make the effort to lose some weight, and get back into shape. You can't be a survivor if you're dead!

It's disgusting how American's aren't taking care of themselves. I'd joke that the Chinese buffet is a way for the Chinese to subversively take over the country.

We'd all be too FAT to get up off the couch to stop an invasion.

It's pretty pathetic how soft everyone has become.

I know for myself, I keep myself in shape. I study self defense and don't have any intention on depending on ANYONE.

It starts with my health.

Too many are on the fast track to COPD and CVD it's sad..

That will not be me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 08:55 PM

32,846 posts, read 36,153,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackberryMerlot View Post
I don't see 6 to 10 servings of carbohydrates on the USDA food plate. Its 1/4 protein, 1/4 cabs and 1/2 fruits and vegetables last time I looked. It says 6 servings of carbs, yet it also says "Half of your plate should be vegetables and fruits. About one-quarter of your plate should be grains and one-quarter protein. Drink fat-free or low-fat (1%) milk and water instead of soda, sports drinks, and other sugary drinks. Avoid oversized portions." My Jersey cow is fixing to calf. She does not produce 1% fat milk I guarantee.
It doesn't seem natural to me. Every once in a while, I can find real milk. That's the only time I drink it. Other than that, I use cream.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:57 PM

48,446 posts, read 34,627,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It doesn't seem natural to me. Every once in a while, I can find real milk. That's the only time I drink it. Other than that, I use cream.
What do you mean, "real milk"?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-21-2018, 10:24 AM

32,846 posts, read 36,153,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
What do you mean, "real milk"?
Milk from cows that have been fed grass and non GMO grain, vat pasteurized (lower temperature), and not homogenized.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:34 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,560,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Milk from cows that have been fed grass and non GMO grain, vat pasteurized (lower temperature), and not homogenized.
That's interesting. It means raw milk where I live.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:57 PM

423 posts, read 287,278 times
The fatness, or body condition, of pregnant dairy cows is tricky to manage. You don't want them fat late in pregnancy because that calf will likely be to big to give birth to unaided. If shes too thin when she gives birth, within the first 2 or 3 months when she goes into 'milkus maximus' she will get too thin to sustain a good output in the rest of her lactation. In addition, if shes too thin from heavy milk production she won't come back into heat, get bred and start on that next years calf. With women who become mothers, they need to gain that baby weight in order to have a healthy baby. But seems like often they don't loose the baby weight and with each baby they add on more weight. In addition, they are cooking big family dinners and/or taking them to fast food restaurants. Soon, she is big as a house.

Old 02-21-2018, 04:05 PM

For those who believe carbs are the reason for the obesity problem, how do you explain Japan and Korea, cultures who eat large amounts of rice and noodles, having only 6% obesity and being some of the healthiest countries on the planet. Just curious.

Old 02-21-2018, 04:17 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,560,595 times
Quote:
For those who believe carbs are the reason for the obesity problem, how do you explain Japan and Korea, cultures who eat large amounts of rice and noodles, having only 6% obesity and being some of the healthiest countries on the planet. Just curious.
They don't eat as much.

Old 02-21-2018, 04:24 PM

37,328 posts, read 61,154,439 times
Quote:
Their carbs are not from GMO grains.

GM grains have modified proteins that our bodies are not readily accepting. [increased incidents of wheat allergies, etc]

Old 02-21-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
They don't eat as much.
Absolutely. But that is not an anti-carb stance, it is an anti-gluttony stance.

I find US portions to be obnoxious. Quantity and no quality.

I noticed in San Fran a lot of places were starting to do smaller portions, of high quality food at a reasonable price.

If we eat out (I love to cook), DH and I usually split an entree and it is more than enough food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness