Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 04:41 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Their carbs are not from GMO grains.

GM grains have modified proteins that our bodies are not readily accepting. [increased incidents of wheat allergies, etc]
Almost everything we eat has been genetically modified, either in the lab or through selective breeding and cross pollination, etc. I haven't really seen any data to show problems. Celiac is the only wheat allergy I know of, and no rise in that really. Intolerances? Maybe.

We have a huge Japanese population where I live, and they eat the same rice and wheat as everyone else and no noticeable differences. It's when they switch to fast food, and high meat/dairy diets that they become obese also.

But again, that is not an anti-carb stance, it is anti-GMO.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 04:58 PM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Almost everything we eat has been genetically modified, either in the lab or through selective breeding and cross pollination, etc. I haven't really seen any data to show problems. Celiac is the only wheat allergy I know of, and no rise in that really. Intolerances? Maybe.

We have a huge Japanese population where I live, and they eat the same rice and wheat as everyone else and no noticeable differences. It's when they switch to fast food, and high meat/dairy diets that they become obese also.
Cultures that stick with their traditional cuisine, developed over millennia, are generally healthier than cultures that have succumbed to industrialized foods.

Old 02-21-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Cultures that stick with their traditional cuisine, developed over millennia, are generally healthier than cultures that have succumbed to industrialized foods.
Absolutely!!

I am very whole food, cook at home, grains and veggies, lots of spice and herbs, and variety, variety, variety.....

Old 02-21-2018, 06:44 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
At various times, many of us have speculated what the consequences would be of an epidemic here in the US. It may be ebola, bird flu, swine flu, plague, or a resurgence of an old disease, such as polio, smallpox, yellow fever, malaria - that may occur after a natural disaster.
I'm just not seeing it.

Yellow Fever, Malaria and Plague all require vectors. Smallpox has been eradicated for all intents and practical purposes. The vast majority of people who contract polio aren't symptomatic.

The real threat would be a new mutation of the Influenza virus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
But we do have an epidemic raging right now, called Obesity. You can't catch it, so nobody is panicking. But they should be. It will likely catch you. Over one third of Americans are obese, and upwards of 75% are overweight. Even children are not spared - 30% of children from ages 2 to 19 are overweight or obese. And the numbers keep climbing each year. If you shop at Walmart or walk through a mall, you already know about this.

The consequences? Diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, cardiac ailments, arthritis, shortened lifespan, stroke...not to mention the $ billions spent each year on medical care. Pretty sobering stuff.

Please take the time to examine yourself and your loved ones to determine where on the weight spectrum they fall. Odds are excellent that someone reading this will be affected. Make the effort to lose some weight, and get back into shape. You can't be a survivor if you're dead!
Surveys seem to show 7 of 10 Americans take at least one prescription drug daily, but there is little data concerning the type of medication taken. While the CDC does maintain data on adolescents and children on psychotropic drugs, and adults over age 40 using cholesterol medication, it doesn't have any data on the number of people taking life sustaining or life maintaining medications. Obviously, those who are on life sustaining or life maintaining medications will be among the first to go, when the medication no longer exists.

While the obese may be able to perform in a static defense, they are not capable of engaging in reconnaissance patrols, security patrols, offensive operations, or recovery operations, and may be limited further still in daily tasks or farming operations.

Without modern farming techniques, including mechanical implements, fertilizer, herbicides and pesticides, crop yields are reduced to 1 to 1.5 acres per person per year. You'll need 8-10 people to prepare, plant, maintain and harvest each crop acre, and it is very labor intensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Different people have ideas on what exactly is causing obesity. Salt? Sugar? Oils? processed foods? GMOs?
From what I've read, it began with the introduction of oil-based additives to the food supply, which began in the late 1980s. That would include artificial flavoring, artificial coloring, and artificial preservatives. These very complex hydro-carbon chains are very difficult for the liver to metabolize and interfere with the processing of complex carbohydrates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Tell that to the societies that have rice as their main staple. Food doesn't cause obesity.
Good point.

Old 02-22-2018, 02:51 AM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Quote:
Inducing ketosis works for weight loss. The long term health affects of that diet are more of concern to me.
I guess that explains the extinction of the north American Indians who survived on pemmican (80% fat, 20% protein). [/sarcasm]

Ketosis in the Bush
38 Days Of Pemmican – Ketosis In The Winter Bush
- - -

Old 02-22-2018, 09:15 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
The cure to obesity is 2 cheap Rx pills: an appetite suppressor & a metabolism booster (to prevent the body's natural reaction to less calories). You have to get the pills without mentioning they're for weight loss; it's illegal for doctors to prescribe an Rx from each class for that reason, after the travesty of the "Fen-Fen" trial (now an embarrassment to the legal system; the judge made himself the unsupervised head of a "charity" he created to take half of his multi-billion judgement!).

There are hundreds of safe Rx alternatives to the single "Fen" that the now-jailed Fen-Fen lawyers claimed was dangerous, but the big bucks are treating obesity problems. We have the solution, but each of us has to figure it out, then get around Big Gov't & Big Business roadblocks.
Or, you know, you could eat less and exercise more.

It works for me. You wouldn't call me slim, but I am fit. And I for sure don't need a scooter to get around Wal-Mart.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
I guess that explains the extinction of the north American Indians who survived on pemmican (80% fat, 20% protein). [/sarcasm]

Ketosis in the Bush
38 Days Of Pemmican – Ketosis In The Winter Bush
- - -

If you read actual history, and not diet based websites, you will find that the diet was much more diverse. Sure, if you don't HAVE a certain food to eat, you eat what you can. Some guy deciding to eat pemmican for 38 days is anecdotal at best.

Same with those who cite of Inuit's diet. They eat primarily an animal only diet, and are relatively healthy. Why? Because they eat the heck out of that animal. The meat and the fat are not preferred parts. They eat the eyeballs, liver, brains, and that stuff as good parts, and nutritionally they are packed with all the mineral and nutrients you would be getting from eating vegetables and grains. They are nutrient powerhouses. Eating the meat and fat is far less nutritious.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:01 AM

Low-Fat diets are killers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBb5...ature=youtu.be
Attack of the CARBS
- The rise in diabetes in thin people who eat ‘healthy’ low fat diets, exercise regularly and comply with all the dietary guidelines of the Status Quo.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
If you read actual history, and not diet based websites, you will find that the diet was much more diverse. Sure, if you don't HAVE a certain food to eat, you eat what you can. Some guy deciding to eat pemmican for 38 days is anecdotal at best.

Same with those who cite of Inuit's diet. They eat primarily an animal only diet, and are relatively healthy. Why? Because they eat the heck out of that animal. The meat and the fat are not preferred parts. They eat the eyeballs, liver, brains, and that stuff as good parts, and nutritionally they are packed with all the mineral and nutrients you would be getting from eating vegetables and grains. They are nutrient powerhouses. Eating the meat and fat is far less nutritious.
You might enjoy this TED TALK on the brain and diet.
http://www.ted.com/talks/suzana_herc...he_human_brain

Old 02-22-2018, 10:03 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
There are people who are genetically programmed to be insulin-resistant. These folks do not do well on a diet of grains. Perhaps this is rare among the Japanese, I don't know. But it's quite common among both black and white Americans. Such people tend to put on weight while eating grains, and suffer from insulin-related disorders. Looking at your own family will give you an idea of whether you inherited this tendency. Does/did your father have cardiac issues? Any diabetics or high BP sufferers in the family? Anybody on cholesterol medications (statin drugs)? Anybody obese? If the answer is yes, you may well be at risk.

Also, consider your age. Most younger people, say up to age 45 to 50, are unlikely to be bothered by insulin-related disorders. However, with middle age comes a slackening of this 'youth' protection. If you find yourself over 40 and putting on the pounds, and the usual 'low fat, high complex-carbohydrate' diet just isn't working for you, You may be fighting your own body's insulin-resistance. You owe it to yourself to try the low-carb option. It may just solve your problems for you.

People inherit different genes from their ancestors. The Japanese may not have the same insulin problems. And rest assured, obesity is all about insulin!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness