Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 09:03 AM

25,684 posts, read 18,773,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Lots of people still do dishes by hand...
Well, we are not all THAT uncommon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 10:09 AM

423 posts, read 288,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I used Dawn years ago for awhile, but it leaves a slimy film on your skin, that has to be scrubbed and rinsed repeatedly, to be removed.

Another problem with using it for shampoo, is that it is too effective in washing out all the oil on your hair. This stimulates your oil glands to produce even more and you'll eventually have to shampoo twice a day, to keep your hair from being greasy and matted.

I had a bad case of this problem and had to make a major change. I now use no soap on my hair, but wet part of a towel with warm water and rub my hair vigorously. Then I use another part of the towel to rub it dry. This takes away the dirt and excess oil, but does not stimulate the production of more oil.
Was this original Blue Dawn or the ' new improved' Blue Dawn? I used it on myself last night, washed hair and everything and I came out squeaky clean, no residue.

I've never had a dishwasher in my whole life.

Last edited by BlackberryMerlot; 03-09-2018 at 10:18 AM..

Old 03-09-2018, 10:29 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
It's great because it breaks down grease and oils. It works really well for that, for dishes, for animals that have been doused in oil. However, it strips both the unnatural and natural oils from hair and skin, and done repeatedly or often, more often than the body can restore these oils, it would cause drying and cracking.

If you're only washing your hair once a week, and it's short, so it won't tangle. you might get away with this. I wouldn't recommend it for every day, unless you plan to also buy some kind of moisturizer to add back.

Old 03-09-2018, 11:01 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,301,121 times
You can join the "no poo" movement of people who never use shampoo in their hair. After your hair and scalp get used to being free from the daily natural oil stripping ritual of shampooing, it will balance out and be better than ever. There's a lot of people who are grossed out by the no shampoo idea, and there is a greasy transition phase until it balances out, but it does work wonders.

You wouldn't eat any of the hard to pronounce chemicals that are in shampoo, so why rub them on your scalp? A natural homemade shampoo would be a good compromise for someone who isn't ready to go full "no poo" just yet.

Humans didn't use daily shampoo for most of our history. Its a relatively new marketing phenomenon that's worked perfect. Using shampoo creates the need for ever more daily shampoo, when in reality you don't need the product at all once you stop using it.

Old 03-09-2018, 03:55 PM

423 posts, read 288,658 times
I am thinking of a storage in case of SHTF. The most all purpose and cheap. Its a milder detergent if you dilute it, making that gallon jug last even longer. Look on the bottom shelf in the grocery store. There are gallon jugs of Original Blue Dawn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness