Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2018, 11:51 AM

7,650 posts, read 4,599,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
If you get that, they will use clubs, cars, gasoline, knives, fists, rocks, plastic bags, ropes, garrotes, wine bottles, broken wine bottles etc.

Where are you going to stop?

You CANNOT STOP EVIL!
Oh, but they have. Look no further than your small community stores. You can't have an owner with a gun or baseball bat tending the cashier anymore. You used to. And if you stole from those stores in those days you would need to have to worry about some angry s.o.a.b. going after you to defend his business.

Now you can't do that. You can't do anything like that. You are to call the police. You can't even manhandle a person to the ground and keep them restrained.

Look at your homes. As a kid, if you took someone snipe hunting, you made sure it was to a friendly farm so you didn't have some farmer shoot you thinking you were a cow rustler or just not supposed to be there. Now you can shoot an intruder, but only in the defense of your person. Guy grabs a Monet off the wall and runs and you shoot him in the back, you're in trouble.

In neither instance have they banned ownership of the weapons, but they have banned how they may be used, and when you have all of society outsourcing their personal protection to the police, from bratty kids that need a spanking and a serious run of hard chores to murderers....well, these guys must have the biggest, best funded most amazing problem solvers on the planet, backed by a modern and sophisticated restoration prison system.

But I can't help but think that when you're trained as a hammer, everything starts looking like a nail. And once you're a nail, you're always a nail, and most likely will then in turn become a nail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 01:39 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,649,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Never heard of “zerohedge.com”?? Perhaps you could post a more mainstream site.
I know A LOT about Zero Hedge.

Virtually everything he posts is accurate (except that once in a while
one of the "mainstream" sites will feed him bad information). The only
thing biased about him is that if you don't know much else about the
economy, reading his site will make you think the end is nearer
than it probably is.

Old 04-02-2018, 04:58 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I know A LOT about Zero Hedge.

Virtually everything he posts is accurate (except that once in a while
one of the "mainstream" sites will feed him bad information). The only
thing biased about him is that if you don't know much else about the
economy, reading his site will make you think the end is nearer
than it probably is.
Looking for this guy’s resume and experience, not just that you think his posts are accurate.

Old 04-02-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Looking for this guy’s resume and experience, not just that you think his posts are accurate.
Says a guy who hides his profile.

Old 04-02-2018, 05:28 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,259 times
Quote:
Never heard of “zerohedge.com”?? Perhaps you could post a more mainstream site.
I gave you a hyperlink. All you gotta do is click on it. So what if you've never heard of it. Lots of people read it every day. You being behind the curve does not make the material less credible. Yeah, it's not CNN or MSNBC. But you can simply click on the links to the sources used in the article if you want to further verify the story. I know you folks are used to just swallowing talking points and all, but you can click on some links yourself if you don't want to believe the site that posts it. You want to argue against a position put forth, it's on you to do the legwork to disprove it. Anybody who has had to debate or write a position paper knows this. Have fun.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:00 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
The wayward types I’m referring to are kids who are uncontrollable—doing drugs, getting drunk, stealing, skipping school, etc, Many parents can’t handle these situations or don’t care.
So then, in order to stop these "wayward types" from blowing a bunch of kids away, you seem to think that punishing the rest of us will attain that goal.

And you don't see the illogical, not to mention stupid, nature of that plan?

Wouldn't it be easier, rather than slapping their hands and saying "don't do that, honey," after the hundredth red flag and/or progressively more serious crime, to throw them in prison for about fifty years BEFORE they do this sort of thing, rather than taking my property from me?

Or are you just enamored with the idea of punishing the victim rather than the criminal? Take my stuff away because somebody else did something wrong??? Restrict me because some loon went postal???

Old 04-02-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
So then, in order to stop these "wayward types" from blowing a bunch of kids away, you seem to think that punishing the rest of us will attain that goal.

Wouldn't it be easier, rather than slapping their hands and saying "don't do that, honey," after the hundredth red flag and/or progressively more serious crime, to throw them in prison for about fifty years BEFORE they do this sort of thing, rather than taking my property from me?

Or are you just enamored with the idea of punishing the victim rather than the criminal? Take my stuff away because somebody else did something wrong??? Restrict me because some loon went postal???

Old 04-02-2018, 07:25 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post

You consider not being able to buy an AR-15 a “punishment?” Poor baby, I want to take your toy away. Keeping people alive is a whole lot more important than your hobby. I guess you don’t wear a seatbelt either? Or you walk across the street but not in a crosswalk, because both of these “infringe on your rights.”

So a kid should go to jail for 50 years so that you can purchase an assault rifle. Frankly, I’m more afraid of you going postal because I sense a nuttiness in your post. Obviously you have an AR-15 in your basement or maybe under your mattress?

Old 04-02-2018, 07:32 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,964,273 times
I have 5. And you can’t have any of them.

I’ll probably buy more too. As for hiding them, that’s just stupid. I take mine out hunting, to the range, camping, etc. I’m not worried about some lefty becoming fearful of my possessions. The weak-minded that surround me are not my concern.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:25 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,868,294 times
Quote:
Maybe you’ll shoot yourself in the foot. Guess you don’t take them to Broadway plays or Wharton Reunions? Nah...
Wow. Wishing harm on others. That's beyond childish and shows your hate of those you disagree with.

Congrats on exposing yourself as hate mongering and ignorant.

There is no reason for law abiding people to surrender anything.

Since you want to make extreme hyperbole straw man arguments...here's one for you.
Having law abiding citizens surrender their guns to do their part to prevent crime is equivalent to you cutting off your genitals to do your part to stop sex assault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness