Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 12:13 PM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times

Advertisements

Banning guns out of fear only makes helpless prey. Does nothing to deter predators.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2018, 06:14 PM

2,185 posts, read 1,382,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Where do you get these wacky ideas?

"Confiscation could be an option. Mandatory sale to the state could be an option. Permitting could be an option — keep your gun but permit it.” Andrew Cuomo

“I do not believe in people owning guns. Guns should be owned only by [the] police and military. I am going to do everything I can to disarm this state.” Michael Dukakis

“[To get a] permit to own a firearm, that person should undergo an exhaustive criminal background check. In addition, an applicant should give up his right to privacy and submit his medical records for review to see if the person has ever had a problem with alcohol, drugs or mental illness . . . The Constitution doesn’t count!” John Silber, former chancellor of Boston University and candidate for Governor of Massachusetts. Speech before the Quequechan Club of Fall River, MA. August 16, 1990

“I think you have to do it a step at a time and I think that is what the NRA is most concerned about. Is that it will happen one very small step at a time so that by the time, um, people have woken up, quote, to what’s happened, it’s gone farther than what they feel the consensus of American citizens would be. But it does have to go one step at a time and the banning of semiassault military weapons that are military weapons, not household weapons, is the first step.” Mayor Barbara Fass, Stockton, CA

“Banning guns addresses a fundamental right of all Americans to feel safe.” Senator Diane Feinstein, 1993
“The Brady Bill is the minimum step Congress should take…we need much stricter gun control, and eventually should bar the ownership of handguns, except in a few cases.” U.S. Representative William Clay, quoted in the St. Louis Post Dispatch on May 6, 1991.

“I don’t care about crime, I just want to get the guns.” Senator Howard Metzenbaum, 1994
“My bill … establishes a 6-month grace period for the turning in of all handguns.” U.S. Representative Major Owens, Congressional Record, 11/10/93

“We want everything on the table. This is a moment of opportunity. There’s no question about it…We’re on a roll now, and I think we’ve got to take the–you know, we’re gonna push as hard as we can and as far as we can.” Illinois Rep Jan Schakowsky says assault rifle ban just the beginning, ‘moment of opportunity’ and seeks to ban handguns (2013). Illinois Rep Jan Schakowsky says assault rifle ban just the beginning, ‘moment of opportunity’ and seeks to ban handguns

“People who own guns are essentially a sickness in our souls who must be cleansed.” Colorado Senator (Majority Leader) John Morse. 2013

“No one in this country should have guns.” Superior Court Judge, Robert C. Brunetti, Bristol, CT. September, 2013

Old 04-14-2018, 06:36 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,259 times
^^^^ And here, ladies and gentlemen, we have, in black and white, a stunning although incomplete list of priority targets for gallows testing. I have built everything from doghouses to multimillion dollar mansions over the years, and will volunteer to build said gallows for traitors. But as I am human, mistakes are possible, thus my creations must be tested before any attempt to mete out justice to more high level traitors. These middling megalomaniacs would be just the ticket to ensure proper function, methinks.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:00 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,652,086 times
And that list was just the very tip of the iceberg.
Just a tiny sliver.

Since I don't think the gallows are going to be built and tested, I think it is time to make sure every one of those who actually support the Constitution and are willing to defend it are armed, and their guns unregistered. Keep plenty of ammo on hand. Keep arms and supplies dispersed. The day may come when the lessons of Concord and the return march, some 243 years ago.

Of course, the enemies of our Constitution will see this whole conversation
as reason to repeat the errors of Gen. Gage from Apr 1775, rather than
avoid those errors.

Let us pray that Apr 19th passes this year, and the next with no need of any violence.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:34 AM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
And that list was just the very tip of the iceberg.
Just a tiny sliver.

Since I don't think the gallows are going to be built and tested, I think it is time to make sure every one of those who actually support the Constitution and are willing to defend it are armed, and their guns unregistered. Keep plenty of ammo on hand. Keep arms and supplies dispersed. The day may come when the lessons of Concord and the return march, some 243 years ago.

Of course, the enemies of our Constitution will see this whole conversation
as reason to repeat the errors of Gen. Gage from Apr 1775, rather than
avoid those errors.

Let us pray that Apr 19th passes this year, and the next with no need of any violence.
You know something? I must be weird. I always chuckled at the people who attended every gun show or traveled many miles specifically to buy guns from private sellers. I always viewed a registered weapon as a bit of extra steel in the backbone, if you will. Yeah they know I have it. So what? I have zero plans to give it up, and just because I own it on paper does not in any way tell them where I keep it. In short, I have always been committed to the retention of that right on a level that makes the registration of a weapon uselss to those who would take it from me. That does not mean that all things are registered, or that I would be less likely to resist if they weren't. I simply never made it a point to possess only unregistered weapons. Note that I do not see it as foolish to have unregistered guns, I was simply amused at the level of effort grown men put into making sure nobody knew they had something.

If we were all the caliber of men that ran to the fight on April 19,1775, such efforts might be less common, I suspect. If it is time to bury your guns(all of them, not select ones fpr later use), it is time to be using them. If the government is demanding your guns, the proper response is to shoot the bastards. Or hang them if you have the manpower and opportunity. We should hope that day never comes, for if it does we are headed down a long road in a bad direction. But we must not shrink from the fight if it comes to us. To fail in that effort condemns our nation to totalitarianism and future genocide. Those who are ignorant of history are doomed to repeat it...

Old 04-15-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
If we were all the caliber of men that ran to the fight on April 19,1775, such efforts might be less common, I suspect. If it is time to bury your guns(all of them, not select ones fpr later use), it is time to be using them. If the government is demanding your guns, the proper response is to shoot the bastards. Or hang them if you have the manpower and opportunity. We should hope that day never comes, for if it does we are headed down a long road in a bad direction. But we must not shrink from the fight if it comes to us. To fail in that effort condemns our nation to totalitarianism and future genocide. Those who are ignorant of history are doomed to repeat it...
The minute men did not register their guns, and they did not fight the kind of fight that will come to us. I never said we should only own unregistered guns. What the government should not be confident of, is that their registration database is reliable. (it is unlawful for them to have that database)

No, we should not bury all of our guns, but a gun cached here and there is a good idea.
It is also a good idea to own enough ammo to see us through any eventuality.
(Commercial ammo has a very long shelf life. Handloads, and their components are iffy.)

Quote:
We should hope that day never comes, for if it does we are headed down a long road in a bad direction. But we must not shrink from the fight if it comes to us. To fail in that effort condemns our nation to totalitarianism and future genocide.
I have a lot more in this vein, but not for this forum.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:04 AM

10,752 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
The minute men did not register their guns, and they did not fight the kind of fight that will come to us. I never said we should only own unregistered guns. What the government should not be confident of, is that their registration database is reliable. (it is unlawful for them to have that database)

No, we should not bury all of our guns, but a gun cached here and there is a good idea.
It is also a good idea to own enough ammo to see us through any eventuality.
(Commercial ammo has a very long shelf life. Handloads, and their components are iffy.)

I have a lot more in this vein, but not for this forum.
I’m curious, tell us more about this.

Old 04-16-2018, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Quote:
I’m curious, tell us more about this.
Well, I should have said "good, high quality, commercial ammo" LoL.
I haven't seen too much of any other, but I am sure it is out there.

I did some research a few years ago, and would have more faith
in 30 yr old commercial loads than I would 30 year old handloads
made in somebodies basement.

For 10 year old ammo, if kept in an air conditioned home, I would say
there is no real difference, assuming the guy loading it was reliable.

That is about as far as I am willing to go, in open forum, here.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:24 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,582,203 times
Personally, the only handloaded ammo I will trust is my own.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
Personally, the only handloaded ammo I will trust is my own.
That is good, but do you do your handloads in a controlled environment (temp and humidity) and crimp (or otherwise seal) them in the same way someone like Hornady does?

Most likely, your stuff is good for more than 10 years, unless you vacuum pack it (seen a lot of preppers make this mistake) or leave it in any uncontrolled environment. If you take environmental control and other factors seriously, your stuff may be good for more than 30 years. But, on the average, most guys don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness