Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 08:16 AM

9,008 posts, read 4,690,945 times

Advertisements

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...hires-lobbyist
Quote:
Dick’s Sporting Goods Inc. is taking a step further to advocate for gun control, part of a rapid transition for the retailer that’s also a major vendor of firearms in the U.S.

The company has retained Glover Park Group to lobby congress on the matter, according to a disclosure form filed in late April. The move is unusual for a firm in the retail sector, where few brands tackle such a politically-charged issue for fear it will turn off customers.

Following a mass shooting at a Parkland, Florida high school in February, Dick’s announced it would stop selling assault-style rifles and high-capacity magazines. It also increased the firearms purchase age to 21.

Dick’s, the biggest sporting-goods retailer in the U.S., was one of many brands to eschew the gun industry following the shooting. Walmart Inc., Kroger Co., L.L. Bean Inc., and Orvis Co. all made changes to their firearms offerings.
The article goes on to say that while they pretend to support the 2nd Amendment, they are simply liars, who will bend with the wind and do the bidding of the petulant children of the left. Apparently they have no moral compass, and have chosen to stand with those seeking the destruction of our nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 08:52 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,585,306 times
To be honest about it, here in Las Vegas, where everything is legal, Dick's never sold ARs or high cap mags (actually standard mags for ARs and AKs) anyway. Neither did the Walmarts in town. As for LL Bean and Orvis, all I've ever seen them sell was clothing and camping gear. Now maybe they have subsidiaries that do, but I don't know about that.

Seems to me that Dick's is trying to garner some headlines for a non-event.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:17 AM

2,902 posts, read 1,876,462 times
I already committed to never stepping foot into any store affiliated with the "dicks sporting goods" brand. They have multiple chains branded differently.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:40 AM

12,110 posts, read 23,311,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
To be honest about it, here in Las Vegas, where everything is legal, Dick's never sold ARs or high cap mags (actually standard mags for ARs and AKs) anyway. Neither did the Walmarts in town. As for LL Bean and Orvis, all I've ever seen them sell was clothing and camping gear. Now maybe they have subsidiaries that do, but I don't know about that.

Seems to me that Dick's is trying to garner some headlines for a non-event.

Same here.

They have a right not to sell certain firearms if they don't want to. You have the right not to give them any business of any kind.

Old 05-04-2018, 11:32 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,593,382 times
No Dicks Sporting Goods around my state that I've ever seen, but I'll be sure to never buy anything from them online or when I travel

Old 05-04-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
No Dicks Sporting Goods around my state that I've ever seen, but I'll be sure to never buy anything from them online or when I travel
They also own field and stream. Avoid them just the same

Old 05-04-2018, 01:49 PM

9,008 posts, read 4,690,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
I already committed to never stepping foot into any store affiliated with the "dicks sporting goods" brand. They have multiple chains branded differently.
A listing of their subsidiaries would be useful

Quote:
They also own field and stream. Avoid them just the same
Makes sense.
Field and Stream drove itself off into the left ditch a few years ago.

Old 05-04-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
A listing of their subsidiaries would be useful

Makes sense.
Field and Stream drove itself off into the left ditch a few years ago.
According to Wikipedia...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick%27s_Sporting_Goods

Dicks sports own the following chains;
Subsidiaries
Affinity Sports
Blue Sombrero
Field & Stream
Galyan's (acquired in 2004)
Golf Galaxy
Golfsmith (bankrupt in 2017)
Golfworks
Oshman's Sporting Goods
Sports Authority (bankrupt in 2016)
True Runner

Old 05-04-2018, 04:36 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,593,382 times
Quote:
According to Wikipedia...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick%27s_Sporting_Goods

Dicks sports own the following chains;
Subsidiaries
Affinity Sports
Blue Sombrero
Field & Stream
Galyan's (acquired in 2004)
Golf Galaxy
Golfsmith (bankrupt in 2017)
Golfworks
Oshman's Sporting Goods
Sports Authority (bankrupt in 2016)
True Runner
Thanks! I've never seen any of those in my state.
Although Field and Stream does have a realty branch that sells properties at hugely inflated prices, so I wouldn't be buying from them anyway.

Old 05-04-2018, 05:12 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,798,324 times
When I do buy my weapon(s) I'm not ever setting foot in a chain retail store. I'd rather deal with someone who KNOWS guns and can direct me to the right one instead of some pimply 22 year old who just wants to make a sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness