Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 11:20 AM

19 posts, read 7,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Why don't you just buy an abandoned town? There are some in the West. A lot of the infrastructure (roads, water, sewer) would already be in place, along with buildings that could be renovated, and if you incorporate as a city you could run your own building and planning department.

https://www.loveproperty.com/gallery...n-actually-buy
This is an interesting concept. I have to look into it when im not at work. The filters block the link you posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I would be just as worried about legal problems as water. The way I could see this working is if one person owned the land and rented to the tiny house owners.

Look at it this way, Scenario A - 10 people all jointly own the whole place. Well runs dry and we need $30,000 to drill a new well. Four of the owners don't have the money, or are unwilling to spend it. Now what are you going to do?
Scenario B - owner ups the rent to cover the cost of the new well, people who don't want to pay can leave or get evicted.

Or if you all own it jointly and one person gets in a car wreck with a bus full of school kids. Is everyone going to lose their investment when wreck person gets sued for the only asset he has?

I gotta agree with Harry, do a LOT of reading about these kind of communities and what can go wrong and why they fail.
I'd ideally set up as an LLC for that reason. As for the unexpected costs, we would all pay dues that would cover maintenance. The first 2 years we would be at risk, but afterwords maybe set up a business line of credit or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post

This seems like a great idea!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 08:18 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,652,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eassa View Post
So Im assuming that the tanks are used until they hit a low point and then the well fills it?
Yes, exactly. It works sort of like a toilet float.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Can one buy land privately rather than buying real estate? Im failing to connect the dots here, yet im very interested. My goal is to have a larger home for "family style dinners" areas to hang out and lounge, rooms for whatever we wanted to set up, then we would each have our own small tiny house as a personal dwelling. That way we can have privacy with the comfort of hanging out in a large group if we wanted to. I have a feeling building codes won't fancy our plan, hence the interest in this private property you're talking about.
Yes, you can buy "by owner" privately or go through a real estate company. It will make no difference once you own it. Just make sure to research whether there are any restrictions on the land. I'm a realtor in my area. We sell lots of vacant land here.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Yes, you can buy "by owner" privately or go through a real estate company. It will make no difference once you own it. Just make sure to research whether there are any restrictions on the land. I'm a realtor in my area. We sell lots of vacant land here.
So what kind of things can I watch for? Vacant land is something I don't know a lot about.

What kind of restrictions can be there?

Old 05-02-2018, 02:34 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,652,086 times
I know of one person who bought land with a "no farm animals" restriction on the deed.
I looked at a place that said "no cows, pigs, or goats"
In S. IL, most of the land has had all the coal sold out from under it
so you may not have mineral rights. Timber may have also been sold,
even if it is still there, you wouldn't own, and trees above a certain
diameter may require permission to cut.

These things must be spelled out before you buy, at least in most states.

Old 05-02-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I know of one person who bought land with a "no farm animals" restriction on the deed.
I looked at a place that said "no cows, pigs, or goats"
In S. IL, most of the land has had all the coal sold out from under it
so you may not have mineral rights. Timber may have also been sold,
even if it is still there, you wouldn't own, and trees above a certain
diameter may require permission to cut.

These things must be spelled out before you buy, at least in most states.
Yeah I heard to watch for mineral and water rights.

Old 05-02-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
So what kind of things can I watch for? Vacant land is something I don't know a lot about.

What kind of restrictions can be there?
Restrictions could be things like no mobile homes, no businesses, etc. If you are looking in a rural remote area, those restrictions are far less likely. You could check with the county department to double check though. Also, if there is no existing survey, get one that shows all the boundaries of the land and any possible easements.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:22 AM

Ok, so all great information. So now lets say I find land. Lets say I research and we decide to still go through with it. So would I next get the land surveyed, and then ask the county if I can build multiple shipping container homes? So I guess what I am asking is what is the step by step I should be doing once I find some land.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:11 AM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,259 times
Quote:
Ok, so all great information. So now lets say I find land. Lets say I research and we decide to still go through with it. So would I next get the land surveyed, and then ask the county if I can build multiple shipping container homes? So I guess what I am asking is what is the step by step I should be doing once I find some land.
First step would be to isolate the area you want to live in, then isolate counties within that area that have no building codes, then search for suitable properties outside any city limits or subdivisions. Do all that, and you need not ask the county much of anything. Determine what you need for well and sewer requirements, and set that up right, and build on. Really, the most important thing is to escape regulatory oversight to the extent possible, then make sure you do the infrastructure and building right for your own good.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:15 AM

Ok, so once I find, research and buy, then set up well and septic/waste mgmt, then I should be free to just build from there? What about permits or anything like that? does the property have to get assessed for tax reasons?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness