Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 05:41 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times

Advertisements

I stopped going to Dick's when they stopped selling ARs

I support supporters of the 2nd Amendment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 06:11 PM

25,738 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...hires-lobbyist

The article goes on to say that while they pretend to support the 2nd Amendment, they are simply liars, who will bend with the wind and do the bidding of the petulant children of the left. Apparently they have no moral compass, and have chosen to stand with those seeking the destruction of our nation.
Well, at least they chose the right name for their store(s) when they set up shop, eh???

Old 05-07-2018, 06:30 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,652,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Well, at least they chose the right name for their store(s) when they set up shop, eh???
Made me think of this meme

Old 05-07-2018, 07:18 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
It's like the fact that most gun homicides are black-on-black in Democrat-ruled cities. The Democrats have tried to strictly control guns and have failed miserably. Meanwhile, the carnage continues.
Link, please.

Here's a USA map of Firearm death rates in the U.S. by State:

State firearm death rates, 2013. Rate per 100,000 population.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...te%2C_2013.jpg

It appears to tell a far different story than what you suggest.

The states with the lowest firearm death rates are California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Iowa, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, and New York.

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 05-07-2018 at 07:32 PM..

Old 05-07-2018, 07:45 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Link, please.

Here's a USA map of Firearm death rates in the U.S. by State:

State firearm death rates, 2013. Rate per 100,000 population.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...te%2C_2013.jpg

It appears to tell a far different story than what you suggest.

The states with the lowest firearm death rates are California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Iowa, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, and New York.
There's a little problem: the vast majority of firearms deaths involve suicide. If a person who owns a gun wishes to commit suicide he's likely to use it as a sure, convenient, safe, and painless method. As people age they are also more likely to use a gun. It's very common in geriatric suicide because of the large numbers of these people suffer from painful illnesses with no hope of recovery.

Regarding the states with the lowest firearms death rates, I must mention that New Hampshire requires no permit to purchase, possess, or carry a gun. Private sales and types of firearms are unrestricted as well.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:42 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I have bought radios, work boots, and some other minor stuff a sporting goods stores.
I would be surprised if you can buy a decent radio at a sporting goods store. For prepping, you need something like this, which is a specialty item.

https://radiojayallen.com/tecsun-pl-...ortable-radio/

I also have my boots custom made. I don't consider either item "minor."

Old 05-08-2018, 03:53 AM

745 posts, read 480,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
By your logic and definition, every single gun (except perhaps a muzzle loader) would qualify as an "assault weapon" but I'm sure the person being shot with a blackpowder muzzle loader would certainly feel assaulted so that might apply too.

Lets just ban them all then. What do you say?
OK, let's ban them all. If we get invaded, we'll just start the draft, then you can get your weapon back. So what is your solution? Do we just have one big shoot out, with everyone armed with whatever they want?

Old 05-08-2018, 04:02 AM

745 posts, read 480,283 times
Umm, yes I know the firing modes of the M16 series. If you read my previous post, I got to know one rather well for several years.

"It is a civilian sporting rifle, not a military weapon."

So if it cannot be called an assault rifle, why should one be able to call it a "civilian sporting rifle"? And that is BS too, if one goes and takes it and kills a bunch of people. That isn't sport. When mass shooters plan their evil, they often go for that rifle, so don't try to pretty it up.

Some of the nonsense I get from you pro-gun folk does nothing but strengthens the opinions and stereotypes of those on the left who think you're all a bunch of crazed maniacs. Although I don't classify every gun owner that way, some of you just don't act like you have any ability to think rationally.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostSeniorinNJ View Post
So what is your solution? Do we just have one big shoot out, with everyone armed with whatever they want?
Yes. And the "shootout" wouldn't last long. The only people who want to victimize others with firearms are criminals and tyrannists. The vast majority have firearms either for self-protection or sport. Once the "shootout" stops, the vast majority (the non-criminals, non-tyrannists, and non-psychopaths) would then get on with their lives, unfettered by sociopaths, armed in case more rear their ugly heads. When another sociopath/criminal appears and attempts to victimize others, he or she is "liquidated" as required.

(in case you didn't pick up on it, the above paragraph is hyperbole, just like your post was)

You want anyone to have the power to do anything they want to you with no recourse available to you besides the cops, who arrive after the fact with a body bag. As it now stands, folks like you want to be helpless sheep. And anytime you have helpless sheep grazing in tall grass, you are invariably going to attract wolves. If the sheep can and do fight back, the wolves go find easier pickings. If there are no easy pickings anywhere, the wolves die.

Last edited by ChrisC; 05-08-2018 at 08:27 AM..

Old 05-08-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
So if it cannot be called an assault rifle, why should one be able to call it a "civilian sporting rifle"?
And if someone goes and stabs ten people to death with a kitchen utility or butcher knife, why should one be able to call it a kitchen utility or butcher knife? Let's call it an "assault knife" so everyone can be afraid of it and we can demonize it... rather than demonizing the creep that used it. I swear sometimes you folks would be happy to put the rifle on the witness stand and let the psychopath go. You blame the tool rather than blaming the "craftsman."

Quote:
Although I don't classify every gun owner that way, some of you just don't act like you have any ability to think rationally.
"Not thinking rationally" is blaming the killings on the means of killing rather then the killer. "Not thinking rationally" is assuming that everyone who owns an "assault rifle" is going to be the next mass murderer BECAUSE he or she owns an assault rifle. "Not thinking rationally" is harboring the notion that owning an "assault rifle" is somehow like a gypsy curse that turns normal, well-balanced people into homicidal maniacs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness