Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 09:08 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,596,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The town I grew up in was hit with flood back in 2013 and we still had a property there. Quite frankly I wish there was someone that had a little more authority. You had homeowners, contractors and utility trucks that needed to be there. On top of that you had debris from the houses that they were removing at a brisk pace but never seemed to end. Very little room for the people that needed to be there to begin with.

In particular the scrappers posed a huge problem. I have no problem with someone trying to take advantage to make a buck on stuff that is going to the landfill but they were hindering clean up. One of the pricks walked to the end of my Brother's driveway and took his washer and dryer. They were brand new and he had intentions of seeing if he could fix them at a later date. He went looking for the guy and he's lucky my Brother didn't find him. They had National Guard posted at the major roads leading into the area but they were not preventing anyone from entering. The situation would have been far better if they had a policy in place to keep people out that didn't belong there.
There's a fine line between too much and too little control. Thankfully, the government during my only experience with an emergency in Wyoming struck a balance. A rapid wildfire led to an evacuation order here, but the police, who were the only authorities involved, worked for the benefit of property owners. They understood that we needed to remain in place. There were no complaints either during or after the fire. The firefighters themselves operated independently; they determined how to fight the fire. The only actual restriction was the prohibition of recreational boating on a reservoir where helicopters and planes were taking on water.

It was a very worrisome week. Ground crews remained in the area for over a month. Still, it was better than it had been in Colorado where we had to risk both life and legal liability when we helped some friends rescue their horses. That was scary, particularly since we had to drive almost sixty miles to go fifteen miles because of deputized drunks on patrol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 09:08 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,297,213 times
I noticed Hal Leonard, I think it was, was spouting something about if the earthquakes continued, a certain land plate would slide and cause a tsunami as far east as the US west coast. Wonder if anyone has researched this further.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:17 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,596,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I noticed Hal Leonard, I think it was, was spouting something about if the earthquakes continued, a certain land plate would slide and cause a tsunami as far east as the US west coast. Wonder if anyone has researched this further.
That's the Cascadia Subduction Zone. It's real although the particulars you mention are incorrect.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/data/crust/cascadia.php

Old 05-08-2018, 09:38 AM

765 posts, read 473,339 times
lol..... no. my life is a disaster i can barely keep up with..... and anyway since "he-who-shall-not-be-named" was elected, my doctors said no more nightly news for you, no nightline, no frontline, nix it all..... so i shall remain ignorant on most current events, my blood pressure can't take any more tragedies in my lifetime. i can't. I lose it. I cry. I worry. I give way too much that I can't afford to give to the Red Cross, heck, all those Hurricanes last year nearly bankrupted me. can't help it, i'm that way.....

nope. gotta protect what little sanity i have left. but am so so so sorry that paradise has become such a nightmare for so many..... wouldn't we all have loved a little inch of paradise in our lives???? hope it stops soon. hope y'all will help the Red Cross.... i will have to curtail how much i give this year, but let's all try as hard as we can to help people who lose everything they worked so hard for over the course of their lifetime...... we had a tornado here in Narrowlina a few weeks back, not in my community, but i did have one fourth my roof blown the hell off by the high winds all over the state...... took a solid week to find anyone who would come by with a ladder and a few nails to nail down the tarps i bought, so i know just a bit how awful to find oneself at the mercy of winds, rains, Mother Nature is a beeeeeeatch sometimes huh????

Old 05-08-2018, 01:21 PM

159 posts, read 287,024 times
It's called the Hilina Slump, different doom scenario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
That's the Cascadia Subduction Zone. It's real although the particulars you mention are incorrect.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/data/crust/cascadia.php

Old 05-08-2018, 02:42 PM

9,405 posts, read 11,153,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Yes. You are the only one in the world aware of this.
LOL. Thaxx, you saved me a couple of dozen keystrokes! I am forever grateful!

Old 05-08-2018, 03:17 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,566,993 times
Quote:
This is the real thing, but no one here seems to care. While the preppers are too busy with conspiracy theories, survivalists are learning from this as we learn from all disasters. Homeschoolers are using this in curricula along with their regular courses to keep their children safe. Latin, math, and shooting aren't enough; children need to see disasters from a safe distance as steps in their paths to becoming survivalists.

Anyone who has driven north from Ogden, Utah can appreciate lava flow from what they have seen from their car windows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65tfXqQpsuo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc6CIwBVo5s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrlV...Y&pbjreload=10
I'm watching, from a good safe distance. It's horrendous. I hope our volcanoes in the pnw stay asleep. There sure are a lot of them here.

Old 05-08-2018, 03:30 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,865,867 times
Quote:
The responses here aren't impressive—just the little "preppers" saying what they always say.

That's pretty condescending isn't it? Aren't we all on the same side?

Old 05-08-2018, 03:33 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,284,701 times
Quote:
The responses here aren't impressive—just the little "preppers" saying what they always say.

None of them has mentioned looting. There is looting going on despite a massive government presence. I'm interested in learning the specifics of unofficial penetration of restricted areas. I recall a fire in Colorado that pitted property owners against government employees as well as volunteer "rescue" squads and other groups. The volunteers were the worst; they quickly became intoxicated with their sudden authority. That was a forest fire, but the needs of people were virtually identical. The duration of the emergency there was only a few days; this could last for months or years.

How can we best access and protect our property? That's the critical question. The practical concern is always remaining safe while avoiding government forces. We can hope that some detailed stories of looters will be available. At this time, however, there's a blackout.

Looters are criminals, but information is valuable regardless of the source.
Have you ever been to the Puna area of Hawaii? We spent about ten days in a VRBO place about five miles from that subdivision. That area is like the armpit of Hawaii. Hawaii has a really high cost of living. This is one of the more affordable areas to live. The Leilani subdivision was decent enough from what I can tell. The area attracts a lot of people who I would not want as my neighbor. There are a lot of people who come over from the mainland to basically live as bums and live off the land without visible means of support. There appears to be plenty of theft and looting even without an active lava flow running through the area. The evacuation just provides more opportunity. I'm not sure how well guarded the area is.

Old 05-08-2018, 03:50 PM

14,935 posts, read 12,132,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Have you ever been in that situation? I"m guessing no. I'm not sure what you're wanting people to respond with that might impress you, but I'm also fairly sure that's no one's goal either. If you have to evacuate your property, you better take any valuables because looting it always a possibility and there isn't much you can do to stop it without staying and putting your own life in danger (from volcano, fire, etc). News usually won't say much about the looting if it's done by certain races or classes. In many cases, it will be allowed to happen since there isn't much to be done to stop them. That's the truth whether we want to believe it or not. I've been there and seen it myself.
I don't know how much notice these folks in Hawaii are given to evacuate ahead of the lava flows, but in most disasters there isn't much time to take much in the way of valuables, and the priority is always saving the lives of the evacuees in any case. In some natural ( or otherwise) disasters, there may be enough time to quickly gather the most portable of one's valuables, but it'd be very difficult to take everything, and no space to put it all once you have left.

Looting is always an issue anywhere disasters occur, those inclined will take advantage of the opportunities to take what they want. They may get away with it if the area poses too much danger to law enforcement ( or even the homeowners who hopefully will be smart enough to be more concerned about their potential loss of life than their stuff) to keep the looters out. But on the other hand, the looters may lose their own lives in the process. I'm not a looter, never inclined to be one in a million years, but even if I were, and saw a golden opportunity for a clear path into evacuated houses, I wouldn't stick around while a path of molten, burning lava made it's way towards me while I grabbed others' belongings.

To sum it up, if you're in the path of molten lava ( or floodwaters, or some other life-threatening entity) heading with any speed towards your home and hearth, or you, your priority one will be getting out, saving your life, and those of your loved ones, and you worry about anything else later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness