Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 06:19 AM

7,259 posts, read 5,135,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
.... I was drinking a vodka and noticed that the bottle claimed it was distilled something like twelve times to purify it.

The number of X's on the jug tells you how many times it went thru the still.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 11:32 AM

300 posts, read 329,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
It seems these cyanotoxins are going to get worse as time goes on.

What to do about them?

Is Oregon Water Safe to Drink? Governor Declares State of Emergency After Discovery of Toxins
Filter the damned water.

You say you've been studying this for years, should have been obvious by now, lol.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:35 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Unless the aquifer is directly fed by ground water,
as the Edwards aquifer in Texas is, that should
be safe from Cyanotoxins.

There are other things that could be in it, however.

I would like to see some research to back up
cowdog's assertions, as most of my research
does not support his assertions.
The ground water gets there eventually, and there are other things in it. The stuff that comes out of my tap looks pretty good on paper.

Old 06-12-2018, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
The ground water gets there eventually, and there are other things in it. The stuff that comes out of my tap looks pretty good on paper.

Soil & organisms naturally filter & purify water. Some small municipalities take advantage of this by building/supporting wetlands to clean their sewage enough to make it safe & potable without further treatment.

"Soils, especially in wetland and riparian areas, along with vegetation and microorganisms play very important roles in natural water purification. Microorganisms in soils, wetlands and riparian areas either utilize or breakdown numerous chemical and biological contaminants in water." from https://www.freedrinkingwater.com/wa...water-work.htm

Old 06-12-2018, 07:22 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,652,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
The difference is how the ground water gets into the aquifer.
Where I grew up, it filtered through a 100 yards of sand to get there,
while in some places, the water goes from surface to the Edwards
aquifer almost without touching anything. (Rock in that area looks
like a giant swiss cheeze.)

Old 06-12-2018, 09:57 AM

300 posts, read 329,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
The difference is how the ground water gets into the aquifer.
Where I grew up, it filtered through a 100 yards of sand to get there,
while in some places, the water goes from surface to the Edwards
aquifer almost without touching anything. (Rock in that area looks
like a giant swiss cheeze.)
Yep, and when using an aquifer as a water source, depth, geology, surrounding activities all need to be taken into account. Have to do intermittent testing also, since many aquifers aren't that stable any more.

A knowledgeable well digger will bypass a good feed sometimes, to select a potentially deeper one that's a safer source.

Never hurts to have on site filtration and purification capabilities too, not to mention above ground storage.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:30 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,966,099 times
Cowdog, you know little about water and purification. Yet are jumping down peoples throats and denouncing this forum. While spouting absolute nonsense upon absolute nonsense.

I must therefore ask, what are you doing here?

You know what is dangerous in our drinking water? It is the fluoride they gleefully dump into it. Fluoride is used as rat poison in many countries as it used to be used here. You could buy some here until very recently: https://www.amazon.com/Hexafluorosil...ide++50+pounds

"Sodium Silicofluoride use: Manufacturing metal treatment compounds, water fluoridation, souring agent in laundry, foam production, opal glass, and ore flotation."

Sodium fluorosilicate is formed by neutralizing fluorosilicic acid with sodium chloride/ sodium sulfate. Sodium fluorosilicate is used as an additive (a fluoradation agent for drinking water). It is also used in enamels for porcelain, opal glass raw material, ore refining, insecticide, rodenticide, and veterinary treatment.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post

You know what is dangerous in our drinking water? It is the fluoride.....

How true. They started adding fluoride to the municipal water supply 60 yrs ago when life expectancy was 63 yrs. Now life expectancy is 79 yrs... so I guess we'd all be living to 100 now if it wasn't for that fluoride.

And they add chlorine to water cuz it kills things. It's poison too.

Old 06-16-2018, 09:14 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,966,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
How true. They started adding fluoride to the municipal water supply 60 yrs ago when life expectancy was 63 yrs. Now life expectancy is 79 yrs... so I guess we'd all be living to 100 now if it wasn't for that fluoride.

And they add chlorine to water cuz it kills things. It's poison too.
Goodness, we sure tend to score low in the sciences.

Old 06-16-2018, 09:23 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,652,086 times
Neither Chlorine nor Fluorides have been shown to be good for you.
Chlorine, in excess has been shown to be bad for you.

There is no proof that Fluorides are either good or bad for you, because, in the last 60 years, no one has done a proper (large and longitudinal) study on them. All studies, both good and bad are studies of studies of studies, linking back to some flawed studies done in the early 50's.

Probably not a good idea to have an excessive amount of either in your diet.
Beyond that, worry is not good for you either, so I wouldn't worry about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness