Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 12:19 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,032 times

Advertisements

It seems these cyanotoxins are going to get worse as time goes on.

What to do about them?

Is Oregon Water Safe to Drink? Governor Declares State of Emergency After Discovery of Toxins
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 02:35 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,596,551 times
Check at your local health food store—that's where the real experts are. Many of them are proud of the fact that they almost finished junior high school.

Meanwhile why don't you stop drinking water since it will poison you.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:55 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,639,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
It seems these cyanotoxins are going to get worse as time goes on.

What to do about them?

Is Oregon Water Safe to Drink? Governor Declares State of Emergency After Discovery of Toxins
Sure. There are lots of things in water that can kill you.
Why do you think we have treatment plants, and preppers have filters.

Learn how to filter and treat your water.
Specifically the water in your area, not in Oregon.
(You don't have the time to be expert on everything
you have to specialize in what you will need.)

Old 06-03-2018, 02:58 PM

Two ignorant responses so far. No wonder people think you guys are nuts

Old 06-03-2018, 03:48 PM

7,249 posts, read 5,119,840 times
Quote:
Two ignorant responses so far. No wonder people think you guys are nuts

On the contrary-- both were very practical answers.

A few yrs ago, there was a TV course on statistics. They did a segment where they had a "man on the street" interview. They stopped a guy and asked him "What is the greatest danger you're facing in your life right now?" He answered (this was the mid-70s, mind you) "Oh, nuclear war of course," at which point he stepped off the curb between parked cars to jay walk and nearly got run down by a passing car, horn blaring as he jumped back.

Do a search. With 7.5 billion people in the world, there's only one or two episodes with only a few dozen victims of cyanotoxin poisoning on record. Worthy of our worry?

BTW- in regards the OP's cited article-- the authorities there are warning against giving the water to kids under 6-- with exactly ZERO empiric evidence on which to base the recommendation. Is 6 1/2 OK? How about 6 yrs 1 month? Why not 7 or 12?

Old 06-05-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
On the contrary-- both were very practical answers.

A few yrs ago, there was a TV course on statistics. They did a segment where they had a "man on the street" interview. They stopped a guy and asked him "What is the greatest danger you're facing in your life right now?" He answered (this was the mid-70s, mind you) "Oh, nuclear war of course," at which point he stepped off the curb between parked cars to jay walk and nearly got run down by a passing car, horn blaring as he jumped back.

Do a search. With 7.5 billion people in the world, there's only one or two episodes with only a few dozen victims of cyanotoxin poisoning on record. Worthy of our worry?

BTW- in regards the OP's cited article-- the authorities there are warning against giving the water to kids under 6-- with exactly ZERO empiric evidence on which to base the recommendation. Is 6 1/2 OK? How about 6 yrs 1 month? Why not 7 or 12?
More ignorance!

I hope that doesn't make you mad at me but my guess is 500,000 die from this each year.

I didn't post this because of that link I posted. I've studied this a few years now.

The first response was being a jerk.

The second, TRex2, was at least trying to be helpful.

I guess you are trying to be helpful too.

Filters do nothing for this. It's not just in local water. And water isn't the main problem. So I'll just say this. If you want to live a long life, study this growing problem!

Old 06-05-2018, 08:21 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,596,551 times
Quote:
More ignorance!

I hope that doesn't make you mad at me but my guess is 500,000 die from this each year.
Dandy! At that rate it would take 620 years to return to a population of fifty million. That's what we had in 1880.

Quote:
I didn't post this because of that link I posted. I've studied this a few years now.

The first response was being a jerk.

The second, TRex2, was at least trying to be helpful.

I guess you are trying to be helpful too.

Filters do nothing for this. It's not just in local water. And water isn't the main problem. So I'll just say this. If you want to live a long life, study this growing problem!
Why will studying the "problem" give me a long life?

BTW, what's your background in organic chemistry?

Old 06-06-2018, 09:17 PM

32,926 posts, read 36,329,197 times
My water comes from an aquifer.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:36 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,639,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
My water comes from an aquifer.
Unless the aquifer is directly fed by ground water,
as the Edwards aquifer in Texas is, that should
be safe from Cyanotoxins.

There are other things that could be in it, however.

I would like to see some research to back up
cowdog's assertions, as most of my research
does not support his assertions.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:16 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,554,080 times
My wife worked at a Battery Shop in the mid-'80's. It was a converted Gas Station. The Owner had no problem polluting.
Eventually DERM (Dade county Environmental Resource Management) as well as OSHA, got on the Owner for aquifer contamination. Owner resorted to dumping battery acid down the well after hours-knowing staff from City and Gov. would not work/patrol after 5:00 pm. Bothered wife so much she quit the job (accountant). They were threatening her with subpoena to testify.

So don't just blanket trust the aquifer. Plenty of people (this guy can't be the only one trying to beat 500.00 a day fines) pollute the water table. It woke me up, that's for sure.

I'm on a well. Katadyne and Reverse Osmosis make it as safe as I can get.

Last edited by TerraDown; 06-07-2018 at 09:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness