Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 05:10 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,649,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
This is funny. Have someone who has taken physics read the first line of your post.
The line, as it is stated, is correct. The actual upper limit for fission bombs is considered to be 500kt (and we claim to have built one that size) although in theory, a British design might have yielded 750kt. Never tested.

The largest fission bomb ever detonated by the Soviets was much less than 300kt.
I am unaware of any actual fission detonations larger than 300kt.

You may be referring, however, to my weakness in history. I looked up "test 184" as they called it, and it was a thermonuclear weapon of some sort. On that, I stand corrected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 02:40 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,614,318 times
Another great thread that needs reviving. These are v pertinent to 2019 & even more so it seems as we near 2020 election after the left's belief of, 'rigged (ahem...) concern' over 2016.

Old 02-18-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Another great thread that needs reviving. These are v pertinent to 2019 & even more so it seems as we near 2020 election after the left's belief of, 'rigged (ahem...) concern' over 2016.
I have been in the process of researching and writing on this subject on a different forum, as getting too technical and detailed on this one tends to be casting pearls before swine. (Another way of saying that my writings here tend to attract too many who have nothing to say, but say a lot anyway.)

On the other hand, we covered a lot, already, in here.
Can you put forth any further questions you might have on this topic?

Old 02-18-2019, 04:46 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,868,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I have been in the process of researching and writing on this subject on a different forum, as getting too technical and detailed on this one tends to be casting pearls before swine. (Another way of saying that my writings here tend to attract too many who have nothing to say, but say a lot anyway.)

On the other hand, we covered a lot, already, in here.
Can you put forth any further questions you might have on this topic?
I think you have a significant amount of insight. What are your thoughts and predictions?

Old 02-18-2019, 05:26 PM

Well, there are about four different groups who all want to destroy the US, and we are doing almost nothing to stop them, plus, the natural phenomenon of a solar flare, so the odds of us being destroyed are fairly close to 100%. But you and I both know that

My most recent series, which is about half done, focuses on the science of generating an EMP by high altitude nuclear burst, what its effects will be, and how to defend against it.

Only about 3% (or a little less) of the population is taking any meaningful steps at all, to defend against EMP, and about half of those will fail (which is part of the reason I am writing about it again).

At the beginning of this series "fisheye" mentioned that he thought it would take 3 years to recover our high voltage transformers. The government about 9 years ago did a study saying that only one out of every few hundred would be affected, so recovery would be trivial. So who is right? Well, the verdict is in: "fisheye" is right, according to the ""recent" EMP reports (done several years ago), which a former Administration had buried, since they didn't promote the party line. The previously published report was deliberately and fatally flawed.

There have been several recent estimates of how bad it would be, post EMP, and 90% of the estimates I have seen are too optimistic. The reality is worse than most people's nightmares.

I think I will stop here, and let the nay saying petulant children begin their spamming of this thread

Old 02-18-2019, 05:45 PM

Moderator cut: off-topic political post

Unless something is done about those who come here from the "politics and controversies" just to do a "drive by" attack on our lifestyle, I will by taking my knowledge elsewhere.

I have already volunteered my services, but that probably scares a lot of them.
(Plus I would have to set my own conditions, on both what I can, and can't do, or I wouldn't consider being a moderator. I am guessing that is a non starter.)

---
A reminder to lurkers that political posts do not belong here. Regulars, please report or send me a DM rather than responding. The faster action can be taken the smaller the problem will be.

Last edited by harry chickpea; 02-19-2019 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: Removed referenced political post

Old 02-18-2019, 07:15 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,868,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Unless something is done about those who come here from the "politics and controversies" just to do a "drive by" attack on our lifestyle, I will by taking my knowledge elsewhere.

I have already volunteered my services, but that probably scares a lot of them.
(Plus I would have to set my own conditions, on both what I can, and can't do, or I wouldn't consider being a moderator. I am guessing that is a non starter.)

Let me know.

If you are active elsewhere and speak more freely let me know

People just don't understand the magnitude of this threat. To make it worse quasi science institutes like popular mechanics tries to downplay the risk and severity.

I see the problem like this.

The cause can be a national state, another nation acting as a surrogate, a terrorist group, deep state traitors or just mother nature. Any of them are capable of wiping bout our grid.

In no short order here are just a few things to look forward to.

99% of airborne planes flying uncontrollably plummet to earth killing tens or hundreds of thousands and starting many major fires

95% of Trucks, trains and cars roll to a stop or crash.

Roads and rail lines are gridlocked and uncontrolled. The flow of goods, material and people immediately stop.

If you were traveling you are now SOL.

Municipal water pressure begins dropping and water stops flowing. Modern plumbing ceases to exist.

Food and sensitive medication starts to spoil.

People are at risk of exposure based on their climate. Heat stroke or freezing to death becomes a real concern dependent on time of year.

All comms are down.

People joke at first but quickly panic after a few days of the situation not improving and only getting worse while running out of supplies and no new communication or news.

Things begin to spiral out of control.

Chances are that most of our large oversize high voltage transformers are destroyed. We will need hundreds of them constructed, transported, shipped, installed and rebuild the grid in what is essentially a 3rd world country civil war.

That's a near impossible task in itself.

Never mind the fact that it's also very likely we have about 100 Chernobyl style reactor meltdowns occurring simultaneously, chemical plants and refineries exploding etc...

And most likely if we get EMPd there is a good chance that we are taking other countries with us so there's also a great chance others are in the sane or similar mess and there is none radioactive fallout

It's so bad most people can't comprehend it.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
If you are active elsewhere and speak more freely let me know

People just don't understand the magnitude of this threat. To make it worse quasi science institutes like popular mechanics tries to downplay the risk and severity.
Even the government studies I have seen turn out to be quasi science, and try to downplay the risk and severity. I suspect the reasons for this are two fold:
(in no particular order)
1. They do not want to panic people, nor do they want to look insane, as the reality is so bad that people would not believe it, even in a government report. (There is a government study, available to the public, that gives about half of the truth, and people won't even believe that.)
2. They were over their heads. The older ones didn't have the benefit of Longmire's work, as it was classified and a closely guarded secret, and when they did the newer studies, they probably looked at his works and could not comprehend them.
(As a side note, if there is anyone who is thoroughly proficient with Calculus and Physics, and wants a go at it, I have a couple of papers that explain that there is a limit to the intensity of the EMP E1 pulse wave, but stop before they solve for what that maximum is )

Quote:
It's so bad most people can't comprehend it.
Yep. OTOH, seeing what you wrote, even many preppers throw up their hands in despair, believing there is nothing that can be done. There is a lot to be done, but as I said before, I won't go into that here.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:43 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,779,504 times
Guys my dad is a retired math/physics guy who worked on EMP for several years of his career. You all are overly concerned about it. It cannot cause any sort of mass problems/destruction like what you're thinking.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:09 AM

6,224 posts, read 6,614,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Guys my dad is a retired math/physics guy who worked on EMP for several years of his career. You all are overly concerned about it. It cannot cause any sort of mass problems/destruction like what you're thinking.
yep, & global warning (which has been conclusively, in primary source documents I might add, disproven!) is actually, ahem, real.

want to buy swampland in FL to build condos on? cheap land for sale...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness