Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2018, 05:31 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times

Advertisements

This is one I never thought of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMcgs7Tx3Hs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2018, 09:32 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,906,560 times
That is amazing.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:23 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
This is one I never thought of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMcgs7Tx3Hs
Good video. Any prism that creates a focal point can work, including ice.

One other use for a clear bag full of water, UV radiation kills a lot of pathogens so exposing water in a clear plastic bag for at least a half hour to direct sunlight can help make water safer for drinking when it comes from an uncontrolled source.

Good stuff to know.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:29 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,274,419 times
I have carried a magnifiying glass in my gear since I was kid, along with a tinder kit and a flint and steel. The glass is easiest on a sunny day. The flint and steel cover cloudy weather. The bag/ water idea is pretty cool as an expedient method when conditions allow it. Pretty easy to come by such things lying in the road ditch as litter. I never leave fire creation to chance, so have a hard time envisioning when I might need this method, but it is good info, nonetheless, Murphy never sleeps. And lots of folks leave home unprepared, making techniques like this one of value. Of course, most of the times I have ever NEEDED a fire, it was cloudy, sometimes windy, and usually wet. Bad conditions for using sunlight to start a fire. Murphy, is that you?

Old 08-16-2018, 01:12 PM

93 posts, read 45,017 times
In my BOB is a lighter, a small can of lighter fluid for the zippo and the matchcase, with the stormproof matches and the waxed cotton rope, as well as the ferrorod in my pocket is the bic. In my wallet is the fresnel lense and the bit of wire and
a condom, which is all that' needed to make fire with my phone battery. I've never had cause to use anything but the bic and the lighter fluid, and only used the fluid a couple of times, cause I aint dumb enough to be out in the woods without proper clothing and shelter gear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness