Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 11:00 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,107,427 times

Advertisements

Thanks AONE. The south is out for me, unfortunately. I LOVE the people but I can't take the heat/humidity. (I'm sweet, I melt.) Anything over 75 and turn me over I'm done. Bears I can handle! (I used to train them to work in the movies. Not that a wild bear would care to be trained!)

Unfortunately, that means I have to put up with shorter growing seasons. Give and take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 01:08 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,101,509 times
Default Rx for Malaise

Alaska would be a terrible idea. I love Alaska and keep going back there for short periods of time. But for someone who feels as frustrated, depressed and angry as your expression of yourself indicates, the bush (in any state or province) is beyond such a person's capacity to endure.

Health -- of body, mind, emotions, resources and finances -- is an absolute requirement to survive, to thrive, and to enjoy life in any environment, especially in one where your life may be frequently in peril and you have virtually no access to medical care, as would be the case in the bush.

Weather, wildlife, food, the air, water, warmth, shelter, companionship, income, something to do (some call it work) that you love and can do regularly, hobbies you love to do -- there are thousands of places in North America where you can place yourself and have a ton of fun and achievement and pride in your choice and your abilities.

Having a house on a parcel of land surrounded by trees, within sane distance of a decent hospital and dentist, and following the fabulous example of KellyFG's creativity and energetic enthusiasm, sounds to me like the optimistic way for you to go. If I were in your shoes, I'd consider Ontario, Alberta, British Columbia, Montana, Wyoming, very rural western Washington and western Oregon both of which have long, lush growing seasons. Or Minnesota, for heaven's sake. Michigan. Connecticut. Massachusetts. Rhode Island. New Hampshire. Vermont. Maine. Upper New York. Rural New Jersey. Arkansas, Tennessee, Colorado, Indiana, Kentucky, Iowa, Pennsylvania.
Wow... just look at all those real possibilities!

You need trees to clean the air you breathe to help heal your spirit, and a good growing season to keep you busy and pleased with yourself until you recuperate. Don't forget that no matter what path you choose, if you pay attention Life will constantly offer to you the very best that path has to offer you. I wish you well.

You might love this website. It's called Find Your Spot. If you answer their questions truthfully and heartfully, you will find several Your Spots where your spirit can soar! One just might be in Minnesota!! And remember that outside small towns is rural land...
Best Places to Live: Compare the Best Cities & Small Towns for You!

Last edited by allforcats; 04-04-2008 at 01:34 PM..

Old 04-04-2008, 02:21 PM

713 posts, read 2,717,106 times
Keep in mind that if you want to grow most of your own food (and that would be a lot of food) that you need to be in a climate with a long growing season. Unless of course you intend to build a huge greenhouse.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:44 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,101,509 times
Default Les Stroud, "Survivorman"

Just thought of another excellent resource, Canadian Les Stroud's own video of choosing a location off the grid, remodeling the barn, building other structures, and all the many mechanical setups needed to survive off the grid. This an an hour-long video packed with information and surprises, including how much one needs the assistance of other people.
StumbleVideo

Old 04-05-2008, 08:16 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,912 times
I'm fed up too! And looking for a more rural and simpler existence. So will be looking further up the Panhandle where hopefully is less populated, and many nice little rural towns. Takes planning and motivation, but will hopefully be making a move in next year or so. Good luck with your plans, Simple Living.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:35 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,259,891 times
Check out Mother Earth News. It is essentially the bible for how to live like you describe. There are tons of stories for how people have done exactly that, what they had to trade off, how the managed to do it and how well they adapted. They have lots of detailed how to articles for specific things too. Sometime, I wonder about the real ability of people to live off the grid and are they actually supporting themselves with writing articles for how to do it?

The trade-off for living in remote rural areas, is you will be spending a lot more on gas and transportation costs - whether it is a long run to get supplies in a town or shipping costs to get what you need. It takes a lot more time when you live self-sufficiently. I wanted to do this but found I simply do not have enough time to do all the chores it takes and work full time. So I do some things that are more important to me and that I enjoy - like organic gardening.

Good luck

Old 04-05-2008, 08:36 AM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times
I had a dream of going completely off the grid near Hotsprings Island in the Queen Charlottes ...Find a place with a fair sized stream running down a mountain and install a small power plant in it and a water supply to my cabin, heat with wood, bathe in the natural hot spring etc...There is the tiny community of Rose Harbour nearby if I need to socialize once in awhile. There is regular bush plane service there as well...But it's just a dream....

Queen Charlotte Islands! Gwaii Haanas Guest House and kayaks, Haida Gwaii Haanas National and Tribal Park Reserve, Queen Charlotte Islands, Haida Gwaii

Old 04-05-2008, 08:55 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
How self-sufficient do you think it's possible to become? And where could you do this in the US?

I am at the point where I've just had enough with "civilization." I know, I know, I need to just suck-it-up and deal with it but my defenses are down today and I'm feeling completely drained physically and emotionally. I just want to become a hermit.

I'm not rich. I'm living on one paycheck a month and putting the other one completely toward debt. I'll be debt-free within a year. After that, I am leaving Big City, USA to find a place on the outskirts of rural Small Town to live forever. Quietly. Peacefully. I'm tired of all the crap, issues, political correctness, lies, government, media (and I don't even own a television) and all the rest.

All I want is a tiny little house with some property where the water and air are clean and the soil is good so I can grow a lot of my own food. I don't want to be taxed to death and I'm a big believer that "less is more" when it comes to government.

Surely, there must be some remote area where a person could move to and just be left alone?
I saw a article about a guy in Brooklyn who went pretty self sufficient so it can be done anywhere IF you own the home.

1. Solar Panel
2. Wind Turbine
3. Energy Saver water heater
4. automatic light switches that turn off by themselves when no one is in the room.
5. Underground water collection and filtration system
6. insulate the house with green materials like denim from old jeans for example.
7. bamboo flooring
8. make sure you insulate the floor AND the ceiling, also make sure your windows are jam tight
9. use water efficient toilets. I don't suggest this for the water fixtures like showers. The flow is slower and you end up spending more time in the shower to compensate.
10. Plant your own food and if you have a large enough backyard you can even do bee keeping, rabbit or chicken raising to provide your own food (the guy in brooklyn did chickens I think)

With the food aspect you would still have to buy food from the stores but not as much. Also if you live in a place with clean water ways or if you have a boat, try fishing.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:43 AM

713 posts, read 2,717,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
I'm fed up too! And looking for a more rural and simpler existence. So will be looking further up the Panhandle where hopefully is less populated, and many nice little rural towns. Takes planning and motivation, but will hopefully be making a move in next year or so. Good luck with your plans, Simple Living.

I have been thinking about (eventually) moving to the Texas Panhandle as well.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:35 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Unorganized borough in Alaska. No property taxes is very much possible, lowest population density of any "county" in the US though it's not a county really (I'll PM you a source I used for buying land there if you're interested, but I don't want the place overrun obviously). You can get land on or off the road system. Pay off the land, then, be as self-sufficient as you want. Won't be any taxes or other outside imposed requirements to stop you. If you can garden in a cold climate, hunt/fish for what you can't grow, cut firewood, keep bees, gather berries, trap for fur/meat, etc., you'll be all set. Of course, it's not so simple as it sounds, don't get yourself in over your head, take things slowly...go in with plenty of stored food, some fuel and backup heaters, extra money, a way to contact help, etc., to ensure you do okay. You'd want more than just a few acres though, takes a lot of land to supply firewood (though permits for getting it from govt. lands are available, keep in mind that could change someday), gardens need more space there due to cold soils and wider spacing, etc. Regardless, I paid 550 an acre so you won't get in too much debt buying a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness