Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 09:07 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times

Advertisements

Given recent violent protests and police tolerance of leftists, armored cars may become standard items for the better classes. This may have been the property of famed libertarian Al Capone who provided alcohol in defiance of draconian restrictions and resisted the hated income tax.

Have you thought of an armored car? Many have not only thought of them, they have purchased them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BreFX8Kr_zI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 05:21 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,726,169 times
Like these better
Khaki Corps Imports - Ferret Mk2/3 Scout Car

Old 10-10-2018, 01:51 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
This is serious. Some of us have real concerns.

There are firms that specialize in vehicles of this sort. Al Capone was a pioneer, but we have better today. This is one of the best outfits for inconspicuous vehicles.

Alpine Armoring | Armored Vehicles - SUVs - Sedans - SWATs

Old 10-10-2018, 11:09 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
Happy in wyoming, you dont sound so happy.

If you want an armored car, buy one.

I personally dont think i need one. Yet.

Best of luck....

Old 10-11-2018, 07:41 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
This is serious. Some of us have real concerns.

There are firms that specialize in vehicles of this sort. Al Capone was a pioneer, but we have better today. This is one of the best outfits for inconspicuous vehicles.

Alpine Armoring | Armored Vehicles - SUVs - Sedans - SWATs

Yet not about people like the thugs in Charlottesville, eh?

So tell us, when people are rioting do you walk up to them and inquire about their political leanings before deciding whether to be concerned or not?

Old 10-11-2018, 10:48 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times
Be sure to finish your armored car interior with real hickory. Gives that wonderful smoked flavor when the bonfire is done.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:09 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,649,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Be sure to finish your armored car interior with real hickory. Gives that wonderful smoked flavor when the bonfire is done.
Awww, you got to it before I did
One of the skills I learned in my previous job was how to kill a tank.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:07 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,726,169 times
I'm serious too! Not sure about a custom built but there bunchs of X military light armor vehicles out there. Probably not daily driver if that's what you're after

Last edited by my54ford; 10-11-2018 at 05:23 PM..

Old 10-11-2018, 06:10 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,936,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Given recent violent protests and police tolerance of leftists, armored cars may become standard items for the better classes. This may have been the property of famed libertarian Al Capone who provided alcohol in defiance of draconian restrictions and resisted the hated income tax.

Have you thought of an armored car? Many have not only thought of them, they have purchased them.
The "better classes"? You mean wealthy conservatives? Well, if it makes you feel "better," go for it. I guess if well off conservatives are better, I must be "worse." Perhaps even a member of the rabble in arms.

Here in my area of rural Colorado almost all my neighbors vote republican, and I'll take politics with them on rare occasions. Mostly, we have far more important topics to discuss - drought, will we have enough irrigation water to get in a third cutting of hay, the cost of a bale of alfalfa, who is selling off their stock because it's become uneconomical to feed them, etc. The important stuff, you know?

My farming and ranching neighbors teach me how to be self sufficient. We trade veggies from our huge gardens and fruit from the various trees - some of which were planted by pioneers and the children of pioneers. We trade tips on canning tomatoes and drying a bumper crop of apples.

I have a rifle which I use to bring down an elk during hunting season, and the rest of the time I shoot prairie dogs with it. I have no need for an armoured car to protect me from my friends - or my enemies. If some militia of whatever stripe decided to start a battle here, I'm pretty certain they'd lose. All those many hours shooting prairie dogs and other vermin have produced some mighty fine marksmen around here. And we know the mesas and mountains which sit in our back yards.

If I ever ran into trouble, I know the Wright family down the road would take me in, just as I would them. If the Wrights couldn't help, then the Decker outfit would, etc., etc.

To my way of thinking, being prepared and yes, self sufficient means I get to know the people around me well - good folks who respect the land here in Southern Colorado and would give you the shirt off their backs if I asked. Who needs an armoured car when you have armed friends?

But then, I'm not a member of the "better class," so what do I know?

Old 10-11-2018, 06:43 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,492,842 times
Armor's extra weight reduces mpg. An empty tank mid-riot would be a downer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness