Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2018, 03:14 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,601,746 times

Advertisements

https://defconwarningsystem.com/2018...d-the-unknown/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 09:01 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
Fora that treat specifics are very useful. Participants are generally well-informed as opposed to those on general fora.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:41 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,649,221 times
Quote:
prepping is merely an extension of the common sense I grew up amongst, nowadays common sense isn't common anymore.
Today kinda reminds me of the situation in Idiocracy."
They became not just un-intellectual, but anti-intellectual.
Those who come here to bash preppers aren't just non-prepper, but anti-prepper,
and for the same reason those in the movie were anti-intellectual:
preppers disturb their little fiction of a life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
And that's not really true--- the flux of the radiation decreases by the square of the distance. You'd need a 100 Megaton blast from 400 miles high to effectively cover 1000 miles on the ground in terms of EMP. They'd be better off just doing a conventional (?) nuclear attack.
You have anything to back this assertion up?

Old 12-03-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Somehow a word got dropped or added for that url,
this one should work:

Old 12-03-2018, 07:29 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,868,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Today kinda reminds me of the situation in Idiocracy."
They became not just un-intellectual, but anti-intellectual.
Those who come here to bash preppers aren't just non-prepper, but anti-prepper,
and for the same reason those in the movie were anti-intellectual:
preppers disturb their little fiction of a life.

You have anything to back this assertion up?
Since that movie is both hilarious and eerily forboding at the same time it's a great analogy. As I've tried to learn more and be more honest in my opinions I've learned that flat out, people who are simple minded are afraid of the concept of prepping. They don't understand it, nor do they even want to try. I'm new to prepping I've only even considered it for like 5 years and actively been involved for maybe 3 or 4 years but I've made these observations rather quickly.

And the prepper haters who tend to look at us with disdain also have the worst information and lack of accurate facts.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:33 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,868,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Somehow a word got dropped or added for that url,
this one should work:
Thanks for fixing that link.

If you haven't read the report I posted a few posts back about the Air force war college study in EMP risk it's well worth a read.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:29 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,711,429 times
I’ll elide the accusation of one or another kind of behavior being stupid. But I will say this: all forms of insurance carry a cost. To insure my house from fire-damage carries an annual premium. If for whatever reason the premiums become too high, the risk of potential catastrophic loss from fire, becomes less costly than decades and decades of paying the insurance premiums. Likewise, if my house is already ailing from say structural damage, which greatly depresses its market-value, then buying fire-insurance may be foolish, even if the premiums are low – because, well, there’s really not much there, to be insured.

Similarly, if I think that the stock market is a scam and a charade, and instead keep my money in a savings-account, or in gold bullion in the basement, there’s a cost incurred: decade after decade, my capital loses value, or at best stays constant, while the market races ahead. But to a person who really does believe that the stock market is a flagrant scam, even a zero annual rate of return is preferable to potentially getting swindled out of every penny in the stock market.

The above is just a question of risk; how we evaluate risk, how we price risk. Fine. But there’s another matter – the matter of values, of the value of survival and life itself, in perilous times. And that’s the part that baffles me! In a truly apocalyptic scenario, or even a merely very bad one, I have no desire to survive. To my earlier example of the Leningrad blockade, I’d rather get shot on Day #1 by strafing Stuka dive-bombers, or be buried in rubble when my house gets bombed. I’d not want to deal with the travails of war, the privations and horrors, even of there were reasonable chance of surviving and coming out victorious. To this day, I remain baffled and confounded by stories of survival of the blockade… not so much how people actually did it, but why they even bothered… why they didn’t just run outside into the middle of the street during an air-raid alarm, clench their fists, shake their outstretched arms at the sky, and shout madly for death to come embrace them.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:29 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,599,879 times
Quote:
don't see what the above posts have to do with prepping? be better suited to a religious thread.
You don't see the connection? The very existence of banking is essentially rooted in a region's prepping efforts and storage.

However, if you're unhappy of where the topic has gone, please tell us why you think prepping is worthless....even though it's been done for thousands of years.

Old 12-04-2018, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
The above is just a question of risk; how we evaluate risk, how we price risk. Fine. But there’s another matter – the matter of values, of the value of survival and life itself, in perilous times. And that’s the part that baffles me! In a truly apocalyptic scenario, or even a merely very bad one, I have no desire to survive. To my earlier example of the Leningrad blockade, I’d rather get shot on Day #1 by strafing Stuka dive-bombers, or be buried in rubble when my house gets bombed. I’d not want to deal with the travails of war, the privations and horrors, even of there were reasonable chance of surviving and coming out victorious. To this day, I remain baffled and confounded by stories of survival of the blockade… not so much how people actually did it, but why they even bothered… why they didn’t just run outside into the middle of the street during an air-raid alarm, clench their fists, shake their outstretched arms at the sky, and shout madly for death to come embrace them.
I think this tells us all we need to know about you.
I only regret your ancestors didn't feel the same.
Would have saved me putting you on ignore.
Plonk.

Old 12-04-2018, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
You don't see the connection? The very existence of banking is essentially rooted in a region's prepping efforts and storage.

However, if you're unhappy of where the topic has gone, please tell us why you think prepping is worthless....even though it's been done for thousands of years.
One of the better things about threads like this,
is that we can easily separate the adults from
the whiners and children.

Oh, and thanks for your posts (I can only "rep" you so many times)
Your posts are interesting, informative, and sometimes motivational.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness