Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 03:58 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,282,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Okay...that last statement just scared me into taking action!
So, go hide behind Nancy Pelosi. Good luck with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 04:30 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,305,335 times
So we shouldn't prepare for emergencies or disasters or strive to be as self sufficient as possible because of how things played out in the USSR almost three decades ago?

There's an unimaginable amount of guns and ammo in U.S. rural areas. Whoever is going to be doing all this robbing and pillaging and torturing and burning of the countryside better bring an army with them. To say that the 300+ million guns in the hands of U.S. citizens won't help anything just isn't true. American citizens own more than 40% of the world's guns, more than the next 25 top countries combined.

If large scale collapse SHTF ever happens here, it certainly will play out much differently than it did in the USSR.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:49 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,637,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I could park a hundred vehicles on my property; so could my neighbors. We don't have disputes because we all have plenty of room. An armored RV is idiocy.

Americans are civilized; we have a great president. We will survive just as we have always done.
He'll be the first one to run, hide and abandon his post if the shtf.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:57 PM

672 posts, read 442,918 times
Interesting perspective. Thank you for that.

Old 11-25-2018, 06:04 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,101,085 times
The O.P. writes:
don't focus on material possessions

I'd guess this is hard advice for the crowd here, who love to crow about what they have, and property rights in general ("prop'ty rahts")

"They cain't git mah tools, mah MREs, mah wimmin! Not long's Ah got mah ammo 'n guns!"
Blam!

Old 11-25-2018, 07:15 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,305,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
The O.P. writes:
don't focus on material possessions

I'd guess this is hard advice for the crowd here, who love to crow about what they have, and property rights in general ("prop'ty rahts")

"They cain't git mah tools, mah MREs, mah wimmin! Not long's Ah got mah ammo 'n guns!"
Blam!
Why would anyone be against private property and personal property rights? Why would anyone not want to protect their private and personal property rights? I thought this was America, no?

Your negative stereotype you were trying to portray is untrue. You can't judge every person who tries to practice self sufficiency as an uneducated hick with a southern accent. I would wager to say that most people who strive to be self sufficient are actually quite educated, as it takes plenty of planning and work to actually pull it off.

Many just want to live a simpler lifestyle, buy or build a homestead, possibly "off grid", have a garden, raise some chickens, and maybe even do some hunting and fishing. "Preparing" and having back ups and plans kind of comes along naturally with all that and that's a good portion of what we discuss here. There's no need to hate on that. Stereotypes aren't cool.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:44 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,235,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usrname View Post
LOL "financially". In STHF there won't be a functioning financial system left. As to gold....like I mentioned, a bit of torture with soldering iron quickly reveals the location. I already covered the topic of guns: there'll be much better organized & armed criminal groups in such event, rendering your gun nothing but a bait for your house (I'm all pro-guns, just believe they'll be useless in real STHF)
Can you just answer the question? I mean, are you saying that Russia melted down completely to the Dark Ages? No. It did not.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:46 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,235,034 times
Quote:
By the way, regarding finances...the hallmark of SHTF scenarios is non-functional law enforcement system....means all the previously "honest and upright" and now very hungry bank employees will be sharing your info with the right people or just transferring your money themselves, out of your account, into the one of their buddies... And cashing things out will put a price tag on your head, as the right people will be notified once you do so.
That's one THEORY about how things will work out. I - and many others - think not. If you REALLY survived the collapse of the Soviet Union - you seem like you're doing your best to not seem like you really experienced it. Because the country did not collapse into a state of anarchy analogous to.... say... Somalia, in the 1980s-90s.

Old 11-25-2018, 09:09 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,599,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
That's one THEORY about how things will work out. I - and many others - think not. If you REALLY survived the collapse of the Soviet Union - you seem like you're doing your best to not seem like you really experienced it. Because the country did not collapse into a state of anarchy analogous to.... say... Somalia, in the 1980s-90s.
I'd love to hear more first hand accounts. I mean, at an ultra-high level you start with a Tsar and his cronies that own everything and move to the people owning everything, except only the people in the party...which becomes and as ways are found to extract a little extra concession from the inside crowd and eventually nothing is left, you grow a very strong underground...not paramilitary perhaps, but economically powerful. Then the collapse occurs and suddenly all of these people owned assets have new owners. I imagine that's got to be some feudal style craziness there highly dependant upon where you live. And along comes the starving military and their KGB leader....who become the hardest of the hard and one by one take the others down into what we have today.

Old 11-25-2018, 09:13 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Quote:
My opinion....I survived the collapse of USSR and all that followed: cartels taking power, unrest, riots, total lack of food, overall mayhem, in all spheres of life, etc, there were wars all over the periphery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Great post. Your perspective is much appreciated
Me too; I'm sure I will learn the most from hearing personal experiences, along with hypothetical scenarios. Very valuable stuff you wrote!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness