Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2019, 01:15 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,645,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Thanks. That makes a lot of sense.

Unfortunately the government should be making these recommendations public but I don't see that as being likely for a few different reasons.
I am sending you a couple links. One is that study
and the other is interesting if you have some
education in epidemiology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 04:58 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Yeah, that is pretty much the definition of a disaster:
you didn't see it coming.

You mean, since my house doesn't burn down too often, I shouldn't have discontinued my insurance?

These days we have weather channels that tell us AHEAD of time. I have five months of wood cut up and ready to use, soon I’m about to get a generator to power my pump in the well. I can cook on my wood stove if need be. Have more then enough batteries and emergency candles to burn for months. Even got a camping stove with enough propane to last a while. Got some guns, canned foods.

Nuclear war breaks out we’re all done for aliens come down we’re done for the zombie apocalypse might be OK. I think we will be OK thank you.

Old 01-02-2019, 05:07 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,867,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I am sending you a couple links. One is that study
and the other is interesting if you have some
education in epidemiology.
Thank you! Yes that's exactly what I recently read that I was referring to. Thanks for sharing.

Old 01-02-2019, 05:58 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,600,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post

Nuclear war breaks out we’re all done for aliens come down we’re done for the zombie apocalypse might be OK. I think we will be OK thank you.
depends where one is I suppose, there is no point in someone exploding a nuclear bomb in the middle of nowhere, just a waste of money.
Aliens, especially advanced aliens, yes i'll give you that one, don't believe in little green men myself.
Zombies, buy a big machette and split their skulls in two, should do the trick.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:12 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post

depends where one is I suppose, there is no point in someone exploding a nuclear bomb in the middle of nowhere, just a waste of money.
Aliens, especially advanced aliens, yes i'll give you that one, don't believe in little green men myself.
Zombies, buy a big machette and split their skulls in two, should do the trick.
I meant to add all of this depends where one is. We live in the foothills of Westren North Carolina. So for us snow and some flooding are the biggest things. If enough nuclear bombs are dropped it doesn’t matter where you are in the end. Watched a video on old faithful once and if she decided to blow, its over for all of us.

Some things one just can’t prep for.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:51 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,600,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I meant to add all of this depends where one is. We live in the foothills of Westren North Carolina. So for us snow and some flooding are the biggest things. If enough nuclear bombs are dropped it doesn’t matter where you are in the end. Watched a video on old faithful once and if she decided to blow, its over for all of us.

Some things one just can’t prep for.
i'm not so sure about nuclear war, its a no win situation, nobody wins we all lose. that's why we had something called MAD Mutually Assured Destruction so nobody would.
i'm more concerned about the poles melting and all that fresh water making the Gulf Stream stop in its tracks and giving us a new Ice Age.

Old 01-03-2019, 12:19 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,645,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
i'm not so sure about nuclear war, its a no win situation, nobody wins we all lose. that's why we had something called MAD Mutually Assured Destruction so nobody would.
Nothing says it would be all out nuclear war.
Two of my "possible scenarios" are:
1. Someone loads a nuke into a fake fuel truck
and drives it into the downtown of a nearby city.
(Similar to the beginning of the series "Jericho" )

2. Someone, anonymous, launches an SLBM from
a barge (N.K. has two such barges, now)
and detonates it somewhere over the US.

Quote:
i'm more concerned about the poles melting and all that fresh water making the Gulf Stream stop in its tracks and giving us a new Ice Age.
Well, that happens from time to time.
Last one happened somewhere around 1300, and
it took a very few years to change the weather
patterns. We could adapt, if the Eco-Whackos
will let us.

Old 01-03-2019, 01:22 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,273,502 times
I am reading a couple of books about the open borders policy in Europe. One of the books made a point that some countries didn't want any part of open borders policy because of their WW2 experience.

So, now I have stopped reading the book and am researching some of the points made by that book. I am sure I learned about this in school, but I did not remember that Germany invaded Czechoslovakia and annexed the Sudetenland because Hitler claimed that, since the area had German speaking people, the land belonged to Germany.

Hitler took over Austria because he said it was part of Germany and he was simply expanding Germany to it's natural borders.

In recent history, Putin annexed Crimea claiming it should be a part of Russia. The Chinese are claiming islands off their coasts (in some cases, they are creating the islands). China still claims Taiwan as part of their country.

I think it would be disingenuous to claim that something like this couldn't happen in the U.S. This is one reason I am so much against illegal invasions from the south, or from anywhere else. Would we honor a popular vote to leave the United State? Probably not. But the refusal could cause civil unrest. I do feel that the government would inadvertently create scarcity as a by-product of it's efforts to control widespread civil unrest.

From my discussions with friends, I haven't found any extensive knowledge of the number of riots we have had in the United States. Most of them remember the riots of 1967, but that's about it. None of them knew that the Federal government had declared martial law in the past; nor did they know that each state has the power to declare martial law (or it's equivalent).

My own experience comes from Hurricane Katrina. In August of 2005, a state of emergency was declared for my area by Louisiana governor Kathleen Blanco. This allowed state officials to order evacuations and forcefully remove residents from their homes, suspend certain laws, confiscate firearms, and suspend the sale of items like liquor, firearms, and ammunition. Afterwards, firearms were confiscated by law enforcement from law-abiding citizens. Don't forget, just because the words 'martial law' aren't used doesn't mean it can it doesn't exist. Major Nagan declared 'martial law'. Later we were told that the actions taken were not the result of a declaration of 'martial law', but a 'state of emergency'. The only difference I could see was the term used, not the actions taken.

The worst that I could imagine? Being under martial law. Imagine no civil rights, suspension of law, no freedom of speech, no right of assembly, curfews, checkpoints, law enforcement without due process, house to house confiscation of firearms, ammunition and supplies.

As a result of Hurricane Katrina, I learned that having enough supplies for at least 6 weeks is prudent. Enough supplies for more than 6 weeks is just plain smart. I want to be able to hunker down until the bad part is over. I am reaching the age where my ability to fight back is limited.

Old 01-03-2019, 01:30 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,867,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
I am reading a couple of books about the open borders policy in Europe. One of the books made a point that some countries didn't want any part of open borders policy because of their WW2 experience.

So, now I have stopped reading the book and am researching some of the points made by that book. I am sure I learned about this in school, but I did not remember that Germany invaded Czechoslovakia and annexed the Sudetenland because Hitler claimed that, since the area had German speaking people, the land belonged to Germany.

Hitler took over Austria because he said it was part of Germany and he was simply expanding Germany to it's natural borders.

In recent history, Putin annexed Crimea claiming it should be a part of Russia. The Chinese are claiming islands off their coasts (in some cases, they are creating the islands). China still claims Taiwan as part of their country.

I think it would be disingenuous to claim that something like this couldn't happen in the U.S. This is one reason I am so much against illegal invasions from the south, or from anywhere else. Would we honor a popular vote to leave the United State? Probably not. But the refusal could cause civil unrest. I do feel that the government would inadvertently create scarcity as a by-product of it's efforts to control widespread civil unrest.

From my discussions with friends, I haven't found any extensive knowledge of the number of riots we have had in the United States. Most of them remember the riots of 1967, but that's about it. None of them knew that the Federal government had declared martial law in the past; nor did they know that each state has the power to declare martial law (or it's equivalent).

My own experience comes from Hurricane Katrina. In August of 2005, a state of emergency was declared for my area by Louisiana governor Kathleen Blanco. This allowed state officials to order evacuations and forcefully remove residents from their homes, suspend certain laws, confiscate firearms, and suspend the sale of items like liquor, firearms, and ammunition. Afterwards, firearms were confiscated by law enforcement from law-abiding citizens. Don't forget, just because the words 'martial law' aren't used doesn't mean it can it doesn't exist. Major Nagan declared 'martial law'. Later we were told that the actions taken were not the result of a declaration of 'martial law', but a 'state of emergency'. The only difference I could see was the term used, not the actions taken.

The worst that I could imagine? Being under martial law. Imagine no civil rights, suspension of law, no freedom of speech, no right of assembly, curfews, checkpoints, law enforcement without due process, house to house confiscation of firearms, ammunition and supplies.

As a result of Hurricane Katrina, I learned that having enough supplies for at least 6 weeks is prudent. Enough supplies for more than 6 weeks is just plain smart. I want to be able to hunker down until the bad part is over. I am reaching the age where my ability to fight back is limited.
Read up on This. (these aren't the best links just ones I saw first) do your own reasearch, itsvalreasy happening here.

What is Aztlan, Raza, and MEChA

https://constitutionwarrior.wordpres...ual-de-aztlan/

The Reconquista Movement: Mexico's Plan for the American Southwest | Human Events

https://youtu.be/AwoHiuGMaTM

https://www.amazon.com/Civil-War-II-...9OL&ref=plSrch

Old 01-03-2019, 03:40 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
... From my discussions with friends, I haven't found any extensive knowledge of the number of riots we have had in the United States. Most of them remember the riots of 1967, but that's about it. None of them knew that the Federal government had declared martial law in the past; nor did they know that each state has the power to declare martial law (or it's equivalent).
The term "martial law" is no longer used much. The current PC term is "State of Emergency".

If you google this term you will see that our government declares a 'State of Emergency' at the drop of a hat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_...#United_States

The Constitution explicitly provides a whole list of emergency powers to governors and 'A state government may engage in war without Congressional approval'.

In the USA, governors declare a 'State of Emergency' dozens of times every year. Forest fires, hurricanes, tornadoes, these are all events where we routinely declare a State of Emergency.

It has become very routine, and the public has forgotten how much power it gives to each governor.

Quote:
... under martial law ['State of Emergency']. Imagine no civil rights, suspension of law, no freedom of speech, no right of assembly, curfews, checkpoints, law enforcement without due process, house to house confiscation of firearms, ammunition and supplies.

I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness