Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 02:32 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,606,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
And that is why we are here.
So, thanks again, for proving us right.
Well said, Rex!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 02:58 PM

7,640 posts, read 4,588,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
I think this is for many reasons.

The Soviet citizens didn't have nearly the amount or % capita of privately owned firearms American citizens have.

Soviets as best as I can understand were not soft and entitled. Test they more or less depended on government social assistance but they were conditioned to be tougher and more resilient. Soviets also had a very strong shared mutual culture and they generally all wanted to pull in the sane direction. Their population density was far less than American today.

For all the above reasons they are real reasons why the Soviets fared better than we will.

When it happens to America we are going to have pissed off armed hordes of angry and ignorant useful idiots that are blaming everyone else for their problems because that's all they know how to do
I agree.

I also don't think the Soviet collapse was waking up one day and there's no food in the stores. I think this was grinding down for a long time and once the satellites were told to fend for themselves, the politics ended before positively everything was ground into dust.

Still, in an era of mega corporations, it's not hard to imagine local leaders starting to claim choice assets as their own in a similar fashion. Bond holders, absentee landlords, royalty payments, shareholders....all things that exist when there's law and order. The problem is that the country would lose the ability to raise capital.

I've taken over an HOA I own a place in. One absentee landlord wanted a meeting. He wanted to compel me to lower the HOA fee. He was also very scared of there being no management company and moving to self managed. I showed him some fraud. Showed him the condition of the property and told him we could do better. He seemed amazed that just a few people could do stuff. Dude is 46. Worked at a big software company here for 20 years. Now neither he nor his wife work. Millionaires in prime earning years barely holding on due to rental income. I challenged him to join. To learn. He just couldn't get past the transactional something for nothing up piece...even though it's rebuilding property he owns a piece of...and his unit is in the worst building.

He said he likes to use old used appliances. I told him I like new energy efficient ones that are easy for tenants to maintain. He's just the epitamy of a lazy piece of work. I feel bad for his children.

He wanted records and considerations. I told him to join and he'd have a voice. Well...he didn't want to be held accountable. I said there's no risk. Come learn with us. No, he just couldn't do that.

Finally I'm like....what do you do then? Sit around and let your wife boss you around all day for the next 40 years?

Finally I got a flicker. Maybe I can save this guy from himself.

Old 02-18-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
I agree.

I also don't think the Soviet collapse was waking up one day and there's no food in the stores. I think this was grinding down for a long time and once the satellites were told to fend for themselves, the politics ended before positively everything was ground into dust.

Still, in an era of mega corporations, it's not hard to imagine local leaders starting to claim choice assets as their own in a similar fashion. Bond holders, absentee landlords, royalty payments, shareholders....all things that exist when there's law and order. The problem is that the country would lose the ability to raise capital.

I've taken over an HOA I own a place in. One absentee landlord wanted a meeting. He wanted to compel me to lower the HOA fee. He was also very scared of there being no management company and moving to self managed. I showed him some fraud. Showed him the condition of the property and told him we could do better. He seemed amazed that just a few people could do stuff. Dude is 46. Worked at a big software company here for 20 years. Now neither he nor his wife work. Millionaires in prime earning years barely holding on due to rental income. I challenged him to join. To learn. He just couldn't get past the transactional something for nothing up piece...even though it's rebuilding property he owns a piece of...and his unit is in the worst building.

He said he likes to use old used appliances. I told him I like new energy efficient ones that are easy for tenants to maintain. He's just the epitamy of a lazy piece of work. I feel bad for his children.

He wanted records and considerations. I told him to join and he'd have a voice. Well...he didn't want to be held accountable. I said there's no risk. Come learn with us. No, he just couldn't do that.

Finally I'm like....what do you do then? Sit around and let your wife boss you around all day for the next 40 years?

Finally I got a flicker. Maybe I can save this guy from himself.
Save yourself & other like minded folks. Trying to save those that won't go your way is useless is my experience.

Old 02-18-2019, 03:34 PM

8,925 posts, read 4,621,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Save yourself & other like minded folks. Trying to save those that won't go your way is useless is my experience.
I agree. I discussed the coming storms for years with
those I worked with and some of my neighbors.
Then I just moved on, without them.

Old 02-18-2019, 03:54 PM

Probably right. I just need to lay it bare for all of these guys so they don't try and snipe me later as running away with things. There isn't an owner I've met that I haven't asked to join the Board. I find that there's just enough conscious left that it shuts them up.

Them: I don't like x. It's wrong and terrible.

Me: Great, I didn't know that. It's not my priority at the moment, but if you join us I'll fully support you in working to get this issue resolved.

Them: Well, you know...I don't live there anymore.

Me: Right, you live 2 miles away in that nice district. Tell me about it. Coming down from 20 miles away the traffic can be tough....but realistically we're talking a couple of times a year.

Them: Yeah, well I don't really know about x.

Me: Hey I'm sure you know something and we could use help...even if it's taking notes in the meeting. We want everyone's constructive input.

Them: See sometimes I take a trip and I'm not sure I'll be around... etc. etc. etc.

People are weird. After 5 or 6 rounds of really belittling themselves about how worthless they are they just sort of shuffle off.

This guy had a spark...after he was completely defeated. Didn't land a verbal punch in 2 hours. Probably not worth pursuing, but now that I've beat the sh*t out of the guy I feel obligated to at least give him an opportunity to build himself back up.

Old 02-18-2019, 04:13 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,861,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Probably right. I just need to lay it bare for all of these guys so they don't try and snipe me later as running away with things. There isn't an owner I've met that I haven't asked to join the Board. I find that there's just enough conscious left that it shuts them up.

Them: I don't like x. It's wrong and terrible.

Me: Great, I didn't know that. It's not my priority at the moment, but if you join us I'll fully support you in working to get this issue resolved.

Them: Well, you know...I don't live there anymore.

Me: Right, you live 2 miles away in that nice district. Tell me about it. Coming down from 20 miles away the traffic can be tough....but realistically we're talking a couple of times a year.

Them: Yeah, well I don't really know about x.

Me: Hey I'm sure you know something and we could use help...even if it's taking notes in the meeting. We want everyone's constructive input.

Them: See sometimes I take a trip and I'm not sure I'll be around... etc. etc. etc.

People are weird. After 5 or 6 rounds of really belittling themselves about how worthless they are they just sort of shuffle off.

This guy had a spark...after he was completely defeated. Didn't land a verbal punch in 2 hours. Probably not worth pursuing, but now that I've beat the sh*t out of the guy I feel obligated to at least give him an opportunity to build himself back up.

When you say an owner what do you mean?

Also I see that you are in silicon valley. I was just in Oakland/east bay for work a few weeks ago.

Old 02-18-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
When you say an owner what do you mean?

Also I see that you are in silicon valley. I was just in Oakland/east bay for work a few weeks ago.
Drink, you mean -- Occupied territory? Haha, Cali is the pits in preppers minds. Mine too.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:25 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,300,500 times
Silicon Valley is home to many billionaire preppers, complete with helicopters, luxury bunkers, and southern hemisphere hideaways.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:52 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,961,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Silicon Valley is home to many billionaire preppers, complete with helicopters, luxury bunkers, and southern hemisphere hideaways.
There are almost no nukes in the southern hemisphere. I would suspect several hideaways in Chile and especially New Zealand.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:47 PM

In the movies, the warehouses full of the really good supplies are the ones that are surrounded by so many zombies nobody would dare go for them.

There's conservatives here, but they're really quiet. They're outnumbered and they know it. Besides the new arrivals didn't come here to help the zombies long ago abandoned by their own. They came here to help themselves. Silicon Valley isn't occupied. It's more like a war zone... Zombies definitely have to be used and are likely inefficient...but then again, logic will get you killed here. It all works...but differently.

What's in the warehouse? Foreign NGOs authorized to spend a lot of money buying tech companies they know very little about in order to get the tech back home. Maybe once upon a time those things would be frowned upon...but what if we were just inept and ended up selling 20 garbage companies to these idiots instead. It would take quite a ruse. There'd have to be fast growth, excited executives taking expensive debt to grow, fast growing user base...and those jobs would have to be the good high paying ones that weren't so technical I thought they could be done back home...

There's a lot of crates in this warehouse...

Oakland is definitely occupied and the government's gotten bitten. They're trying to figure out how to control the spread, but failing. It's ground zero in the north. Less than a decade ago homes could be had there for less than $100K. Last year the election put rent controls down. The good new is that it's seemingly becoming attractive to similars...which is sensible given the proximity to Berkeley. The hope is that it attracts all the hordes to one area...and they stay there.

Frankly, the tops of the companies that actually make it....aren't going to let politics get in the way. Facebook bought Instagram. The founders were a little too outspoken about being conservative and they're getting pushed out. They just spent $1B to get these guys...and now they're out? Oh well...we got a copy of all their work right?

The trenches can be tough. Whether any of it is believed or it's an allowed cheap shot on someone that actually works is open to interpretation of the moment. At any rate, the smart move here at any level is to speak like a liberal. In the movies, you'd call it smearing zombie blood on your clothes when walking out in the open.

Zuckerberg may bug in. He did buy every home around him after all. He's from NY
Elon Musk...S. Africa. He's already said he plans on bugging out to Mars. Dude designed his own flamethrowers.
Ellison (NY)...the granddaddy (Buffet and Gates don't live here and Jobs is dead) is going to sail out with his yachting crew.
Page and the Googlers....bought their own airline terminal to store their FLEET of jets...and are working on driverless vehicles to boot.

What do they have in common....none are from here...but all needed to come here to make it work. It may have started as the Cal education system, but now it's the warehouse. It's one of a kind.

Still, to see a man forgo lifting a finger to help the association we both own units in...where he's supposed to care for people...was a bit sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness