Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 12:12 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,652,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
Never thought I would live to see the day when I am more afraid of my own government than a foreign government.
That day came for me in the spring of '94, while watching a congressional panel questioning someone from the BATF. And I worked for the government.

Quote:
Government bureaucrats can't be voted out of office. Since there is very little control over them, they constantly seek to increase their power.
That is why we call them the swamp.
(Or, the cesspool.)

Quote:
As I have said before - Prep and keep quiet. Fortunately, our votes are still anonymous. That, and believe it or not, the U.S. mail. It takes an order from a judge before our mail can be intercepted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn_eddy View Post
Ummm...sorry Sue:
The Mail Cover Program allows postal employees to photograph and send to federal law enforcement organizations (FBI, DHS, Secret Service, etc.) the front and back of every piece of mail the Post Office processes. It also retains the information digitally and provides it to any government agency that wants it—without a warrant.
Well, you are both correct. They are photographed front and back, but the photos are not routinely forwarded, though it doesn't take a warrant, just a request. Otherwise they are kept a few months (depending on how much data storage is available) and overwritten by newer photos.

But the insides are still fairly private.

Yep, prep and keep quiet. The government still operates like a kid with a hammer. The nail that sticks up will be pounded down. If you aren't noticed, they are busy pounding other people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 06:28 PM

915 posts, read 1,625,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Your weak attempts to pretend to be a conservative prepper designed to appear being like us for the sole purpose to discredit us and make us look like a bunch of mouth breathing Neanderthals is hysterical. Your agenda is so obvious.

You are not one of us, don't pretend like you are.
LOL - I know the post you responded to is a few months back, but the brain-challenged individual that started this thread and a few others who have been joining in seem to think if they write really bad dialect and talk about the guv'mint and the revnu men, they will have "Mountain Cred". It is heartening to see that most of the endless rhetoric spewed on this particular thread has been ignored by the people I actually respect when I drop in here. You were absolutely right....but I am not surprised.

Perhaps the best preparation that those of us in our right minds have is that we actually know history; actually have a stable worldview; actually believe in a higher power and absolutes that transcend the idiocy of man-made philosophies; and we don't get swayed by the hysteria of the lost. The pathetic are not those who understand the times and know what they should do ..the pathetic are the agitated fools that log onto this forum and try to "pass".

Not to be cruel but the people that Moderator cut: skip the politics, this is not the P&OC forum think prepping is having enough toilet paper, bottled water and little lanterns to get through a three day loss of electricity from the dreaded snow storms brought on by climate change, well, just shaking my head....please do stay in the urban areas as directed in case of an emergency. You guys will do just ...terrific.

Last edited by harry chickpea; 03-11-2019 at 07:24 PM..

Old 01-20-2020, 09:16 PM

480 posts, read 316,804 times
SO now we are in 2020, Stock market is roaring along.
Now I am prepping for retirement, living in the city, working at a regular job to save money for retirement.

Society is continuing the slow descent into corruption, greed avarice and immorality.

Old 01-21-2020, 09:09 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insulator_king View Post
SO now we are in 2020, Stock market is roaring along.
Now I am prepping for retirement, living in the city, working at a regular job to save money for retirement.

Society is continuing the slow descent into corruption, greed avarice and immorality.
So nothing's change since the dawn of man. Part and parcel of the human condition. Live right and it falls in your lap.

... just sayin'

Old threads never die

Old 01-21-2020, 09:58 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times
There have always been events that challenge mankind, and those that are prepared do better than those that depend on government.
South America is a prime example for you to examine today right now.
From the time I was a kid, my parents, though not rich nor even middle class, did well because they had skills others didn't, made preparations others didn't.
What legitimate skills do you have that can function without electricity, running water, gas, outside food sources, cash, infrastructure?

Old 01-21-2020, 11:23 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,652,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
There have always been events that challenge mankind, and those that are prepared do better than those that depend on government.
And much of the naysayers in this forum can be described as the crabs in the bucket.

One of these links should continue working

Crabs in a bucket theory is a metaphor for human behaviour.
Quote:
The crab in a bucket theory, refers to the behavior of crabs, when placed inside a bucket. While a single crab can escape if several are in the bucket, none will escape. As one crab claws it’s way to the top, the others pull it back down. The other crabs will kill the one trying to get out, if it continues to pull itself to the edge of the bucket, while not staying down with the other crabs. This is a true phenomenon. The crab mentality is a metaphor for the human response to self improvement in others.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_mentality
Quote:
The metaphor is derived from a pattern of behavior noted in crabs when they are trapped in a bucket. While any one crab could easily escape,[2] its efforts will be undermined by others, ensuring the group's collective demise.[3][4][5]

The analogy in human behavior is claimed to be that members of a group will attempt to reduce the self-confidence of any member who achieves success beyond the others, out of envy, resentment, spite, conspiracy, or competitive feelings, to halt their progress
Those who don't want to prepare for future life altering events don't want us to prepare, either. They ridicule us, hinder us, and sometimes even threaten us.

Old 01-21-2020, 12:05 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
The moral of the story... don't be crabby and avoid buckets.

Old 01-22-2020, 06:27 PM

2,899 posts, read 1,869,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
And much of the naysayers in this forum can be described as the crabs in the bucket.

One of these links should continue working

Crabs in a bucket theory is a metaphor for human behaviour.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_mentality

Those who don't want to prepare for future life altering events don't want us to prepare, either. They ridicule us, hinder us, and sometimes even threaten us.
First, thanks for sharing that link. I've never once read up or heard crab theory before, mind blown. Great analogy.

On the topic of this thread

It's wise to prepare for as many possible outcomes as possible. Hedge your bets. Spread your resources.

I buy food, ammo, guns, supplies, medical.....

I also invest in a 401k....

It's foolish to not prepare for an alternative outcome. If the world plods along at status quo then I can live out my retirement in peace and relaxation.

If the world goes to hell (which is probably the more likely of the 2,) then I will be better positioned than many others will be

If something in the middle happens, well I have a little of that as well.

Old 01-24-2020, 01:27 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,324,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usrname View Post
My opinion....I survived the collapse of USSR and all that followed: cartels taking power, unrest, riots, total lack of food, overall mayhem, in all spheres of life, etc, there were wars all over the periphery. People here discuss expensive crap, tons of tech gadgets, radios, generators, rockets to fly to the Moon, years worth of GMO food crap, etc, etc. Most of what's written here shows people have no clue of what it's like to live through societal collapse.
One thing: guns won't help you...not for a long time. You might shoot a robber or two, but there'll be organized criminals, with guns, outnumbering you and much better organized. They'll kill you just for your guns , ammo, gold, and for your tech survival toys. May be even for your crops, if you try to protect them. The less you have/own, the safer you are. They'll find where your gold and guns are, by torturing you, if they think you got something worth taking, and the word spreads fast... It could be your nice neighbors, who'd tip someone off. Another thing: your nice neighbors you think you can rely upon very likely won't open the door for you.
Live low key, don't focus on material possessions. Urban real estate is the best hedge against this stuff usually (except if it comes to bombing), as all collapses eventually end and things come back up, urban areas tend to do much better in those. Rural RE: not so much....it might end up being worth only the potatoes and goats you can grow around that house, which will be very likely to end up being burned down. Not much incentive to go after an old RV...but much to rob and burn the house built to complete with the Johnses, they won't have enough "guards" for those.
Relax and enjoy your life. You won't face STHF during your lifetime, by all chances. The worst SHTF happening here will probably be Happy in Wyoming having a legal dispute with neighbors over parking of his armored RV
What a bunch of BS and lies- have you even been there?
Sorry, an old post, but have to chime in- I don’t like when people are being mislead and lied to
(We still from time to time are reminiscing about our adventures in Russia with friends including about wonderful restaurants, some are ethnic- excellent!)

There were issues- however no one suffered hunger “ from total lack of food”- are you for real?, was shot by gangs or in riots, unless it was criminal territorial clashes or contract killings of businessman in privatization of the USSR industries. - (Thanks to Harvard advisers Russians so stupidly followed)

No one was robbed of their gold or whatever.. especially in their own homes- same as here - just occasionally burglaries less than here then and now..
the society functioned- with pensions being paid - there was a devaluation of currency- where people lost their savings- again, thanks to Harvard “advisors”
The healthcare, educational system functioned, administration, transportation systems, law- all worked as usual.
A lot of new construction and businesses opened up...
Ask a bunch of American businesses who were there and were making money, or at least were trying to make it
Russians lost manufacturing- similar like we have here in our rust belt, but everyone went into some sort of “sales” - including old ladies at every metro station- re- selling goods purchased at the store- with a small mark-up for “ convenience” for the buyers- people going home after work..
Thank God China learned the lesson- and did not follow Russians in their zeal “to learn capitalism “ from those Harvard idiots
Sounds that you had a bad dream!

Last edited by Nik4me; 01-24-2020 at 01:40 PM..

Old 01-27-2020, 07:18 AM

390 posts, read 506,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usrname View Post
My opinion....I survived the collapse of USSR and all that followed: cartels taking power, unrest, riots, total lack of food, overall mayhem, in all spheres of life, etc, there were wars all over the periphery. People here discuss expensive crap, tons of tech gadgets, radios, generators, rockets to fly to the Moon, years worth of GMO food crap, etc, etc. Most of what's written here shows people have no clue of what it's like to live through societal collapse.
One thing: guns won't help you...not for a long time. You might shoot a robber or two, but there'll be organized criminals, with guns, outnumbering you and much better organized. They'll kill you just for your guns , ammo, gold, and for your tech survival toys. May be even for your crops, if you try to protect them. The less you have/own, the safer you are. They'll find where your gold and guns are, by torturing you, if they think you got something worth taking, and the word spreads fast... It could be your nice neighbors, who'd tip someone off. Another thing: your nice neighbors you think you can rely upon very likely won't open the door for you.
Live low key, don't focus on material possessions. Urban real estate is the best hedge against this stuff usually (except if it comes to bombing), as all collapses eventually end and things come back up, urban areas tend to do much better in those. Rural RE: not so much....it might end up being worth only the potatoes and goats you can grow around that house, which will be very likely to end up being burned down. Not much incentive to go after an old RV...but much to rob and burn the house built to complete with the Johnses, they won't have enough "guards" for those.
Relax and enjoy your life. You won't face STHF during your lifetime, by all chances. The worst SHTF happening here will probably be Happy in Wyoming having a legal dispute with neighbors over parking of his armored RV

You're clueless stop watching movies like Mad Max, thinking they're real.

Here's a clue for you.....prep and stay low key, duh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness