Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2018, 07:30 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,864,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Keeping years of food on hand, a bomb shelter, guns and ammo, every medication known to man that you can get your hands on, so that when society collapses and the zombie (read inner city slum dwelling population with darker skin than yours) exodus comes to attack you in your fortress, you can mow them all down with your assault rifles .

Wow.

Just wow.

Your ignorance and stereotypes need to be called out for what they are.

But thanks for outing yourself as a hateful and prejudiced anti white person. You are a racist.

How do you know we are all white and fearful of others with different skin tones? Do you realize some of us are minorities and women? We are not a homogeneous group.

We view the world differently from you and I'm sorry that frightens or triggers you. Your immediate lashing out in outrageous straw man arguments is quite telling of your intent.

Go back under your rock reading huffpo or salon I'm sure they will tell you what to think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 10:23 PM

13,644 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
yes to the Gulags.
Many were sent to Gulags, but in the case of Leningrad, a large percentage was indeed evacuated... eventually. I intentionally omitted that exigency, because to be evacuated is precisely the scenario where big-brother-government swoops in to rescue you. It's the anti-prepper scenario. Also, for the better-connected, there was aerial delivery of food and supplies. But again this is government largess, rather than personal fortitude.

By the way, it was the more enterprising, the more outstanding, who found themselves fingered for imprisonment or execution. The leadership of Leningrad earned fame for their independence and sharp situational-thinking during the blockade, preventing things from getting even worse (which they could have been) or surrendering (which was regarded as almost a foregone conclusion). Communication with Moscow was all but cut off; close supervision was impossible. The locals were on their own. Their reward? Shortly after the war, Stalin had nearly all of the city-leaders executed. Why? Because by showing that they could think for themselves, they proved to be potentially disruptive and dangerous. Thus the hard-earned wisdom: to maximize survival, assiduously practice "strategic incompetence"... Or, how Claudius survived the reigns of Tiberius and Caligula.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
...I think greater safety comes in the ability to maintain an international residence (perhaps one without extradition treaties with the US). ...
All whimsy aside, it's a direct matter of diversification, whether in financial investment or other aspects of life, to have a footprint in multiple countries. I am indeed surprised, that most people of a preparatory-bent are so narrowly (if not exclusively) focused on just one country.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:36 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,064,837 times
A friend's Dad was a pretty philosophical fellow, I had the pleasure of sharing a 16 hour ride in a car with him between Wyoming and Chicago once. One of the things he warned me about, was that "He wouldn't survive an armed foreign force (like the UN) for very long, he'd be killed resisting it in the first few days". This is because of what he saw U.N. troops do during the Korean War, he was a grunt who went AWOL the first time he went on leave, the experience left him pretty bitter. Lots of anecdotes accompanied that statement, one I remember was how he witnessed a truck full of GI's run a South Korean carrying two buckets of human waste off the edge of a road down into a ravine once for the fun of it. Moral was that "Even the Good Guys can be Sonsabitches, never let your land be ruled by force by armed strangers".

All empires fail. And the USA, being an advanced society, has a long way to fall, most of its citizens would probably tell you "They'd rather be dead" than live like the bottom 25% of the world's population currently lives, I think someone even said that several posts back.

Our greatest risk? We, through our elected officials, have promised the populace more than can possibly be delivered over the next fifty years. Maybe even over the next twenty. We are going to be fighting each other politically over taxes, entitlements, medical care, employment, retirement, maybe even the effects of global warming, etc., and political fighting isn't all that far off of "real" fighting. If I didn't know better, I'd suspect that we are being set up for a repeat of the Civil War. While not a certainty, I'd say it is more likely than not. Hopefully, I'll croak before then. If I'm wrong, I'd rather have something to sustain myself with other than my opinion and a fistful of John Thomas. And yes, I know I wouldn't last very long, probably not as long as a "Vichy" style collaborator who played both sides of the fence. But at least I would die knowing I took some of the sonsabitches with me. And that may be enough.

Oh, yeah, Parentologist: Please go ask Reginald Denny what he thinks about the myth of civil unrest in urban areas, he may have a story to share with you.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:17 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,280,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post

All empires fail. And the USA, being an advanced society, has a long way to fall, most of its citizens would probably tell you "They'd rather be dead" than live like the bottom 25% of the world's population currently lives, I think someone even said that several posts back.

Oh, yeah, Parentologist: Please go ask Reginald Denny what he thinks about the myth of civil unrest in urban areas, he may have a story to share with you.
To your first point, the problem is that the bottom 25% has been illegally pouring into this country for decades, with no end in site. That only serves to bring the standard of living down for everyone. Only Trump has shown the stones to take a stand, but the Dems will fight him every step of the way.

Few will get the Denny reference without looking him up. Even fewer will realize how easily it could happen to them. Rodney King was lionized by the left and many blacks. He ended up with quite a large settlement. Denny was just another white victim who never got the justice he deserved. One defendant served 5 yrs, the others much less.

Had he been a black man attacked in a white supremacist riot, he would have become a ‘cause celebre’, and the attacker’s would probably still be in jail.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:25 AM

5,404 posts, read 3,595,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post

Keeping years of food on hand, a bomb shelter, guns and ammo, every medication known to man that you can get your hands on, so that when society collapses and the zombie (read inner city slum dwelling population with darker skin than yours) exodus comes to attack you in your fortress, you can mow them all down with your assault rifles and survive? Enjoy wasting your time prepping for your expensive fantasy, instead of living in the here and now.
this remark shows the total lack of knowledge about the context of prepping.
the stockpiling of food and other things are but a minor part of the prepping principle.
of course hiding ones head in the sand and abusing those that prepare is what ignorant persons do all the time.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:53 AM

219 posts, read 163,372 times
I have a friend that was out of work for a year. She is a master prepper (she used to live on Guam) and has tried to have water and food stockpiled. She lived primarily off her food stocks for the year and was able to use her unemployment to pay the mortgage and keep her house.

I haven't read all the comments on this thread, but I would encourage you to stockpile foods that you regularly eat. You may not ever be in a Mad Max situation, but you could certainly lose your job and have an extended stay on unemployment.

Old 11-28-2018, 12:43 PM

13,644 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notsothoreau View Post
I have a friend that was out of work for a year. She is a master prepper (she used to live on Guam) and has tried to have water and food stockpiled. She lived primarily off her food stocks for the year and was able to use her unemployment to pay the mortgage and keep her house.

I haven't read all the comments on this thread, but I would encourage you to stockpile foods that you regularly eat. You may not ever be in a Mad Max situation, but you could certainly lose your job and have an extended stay on unemployment.
Or alternatively, one could get into the habit of saving money, and investing it. Paper-assets tend to endure more than food, which by definition is perishable. I'd much rather have the cash to buy a decade's worth of food, than the decade's worth of food itself. After all, it takes no marketplace-savvy to "sell" one's cash for other products. It's considerably harder to exchange the contents of one's refrigerator for... well, for anything else.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:13 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notsothoreau View Post

The LDS Church has advocated storing food for many years. They recommend a minimum of a one year supply to let a family survive unemployment or crop failure. Your viewpoint is rational in that you advocate preparing for a common problem rather than the unlikely or bizarre.

Everyone in Utah stores food.

Old 11-28-2018, 01:36 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Or alternatively, one could get into the habit of saving money, and investing it. Paper-assets tend to endure more than food, which by definition is perishable. I'd much rather have the cash to buy a decade's worth of food, than the decade's worth of food itself. After all, it takes no marketplace-savvy to "sell" one's cash for other products. It's considerably harder to exchange the contents of one's refrigerator for... well, for anything else.
Here in the US when the banks locked their doors and began foreclosing on mortgages, nobody had access to their bank accounts. Cash was great if you had it hidden at home. But 'money in the bank' was gone, and could not be used to make mortgage payments.

My paternal grandparents and my maternal grandparents, both lost their farms, when their banks foreclosed on them, while refusing to allow access to their savings accounts.

Old 11-28-2018, 03:37 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
None of us can accurately predict how or when S will HTF in America.

We can look at how the Great Depression affected people, and how the Recession changed things. From those recent examples, we can learn and adapt.
One might imagine the rationing and shortages of WW2 combined with unemployment and money scarcity of the Great Depression.
If you don't have it, can't make it, nor trade for it, you will do without it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness