Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 09:49 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,271,755 times

Advertisements

I enjoy people. I also enjoy being alone. I think I would go crazy if I had to be in close proximity to people constantly. I was fortunate that I was married to a man who understood me. We could spend time together in a comfortable silence.

I do get out. I go to church on Sundays, church activities during the week, do charity work, and I also belong to a bird watching club and a gardening club.

I value my alone time. I think of it as the time I 'recharge'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2018, 10:01 AM

367 posts, read 420,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
I was off grid, I grew my own vegetables, foraged for fruits and shot small game with an air rifle.
So you didn't eat stuff like flour/grains and oils or nuts? Interesting how one can maintain caloric and minimum fat intake without them. Lots of potatoes? Small game tends to have little fat ("rabbit starvation" is possible)...abundant fruit for foraging - it got to be very warm climate otherwise it's berries. I knew some people who homesteaded in Louisiana....ate lots of fish they caught, fish had a lot of good fat, catfish gets quite fat for example, and toads (on top of hunting...lots of squirrels), but still bought stuff like flour/grain (they didn't grow potatoes).

Old 12-08-2018, 10:12 AM

5,404 posts, read 3,595,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usrname View Post
So you didn't eat stuff like flour/grains and oils or nuts? Interesting how one can maintain caloric and minimum fat intake without them. Lots of potatoes? Small game tends to have little fat ("rabbit starvation" is possible)...abundant fruit for foraging - it got to be very warm climate otherwise it's berries. I knew some people who homesteaded in Louisiana....ate lots of fish they caught, fish had a lot of good fat, catfish gets quite fat for example, and toads (on top of hunting...lots of squirrels), but still bought stuff like flour/grain (they didn't grow potatoes).
potatoes are fairly easy to grow if you know how.
mild climate where I am, plenty of rain but little snow.
fish in the rivers, crayfish too.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:43 AM

367 posts, read 420,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
potatoes are fairly easy to grow if you know how.
mild climate where I am, plenty of rain but little snow.
fish in the rivers, crayfish too.
Potatoes are very easy to grow. I'd definitely keep some goats if I homesteaded, easy fat and protein from milk.

Last edited by Usrname; 12-08-2018 at 11:39 AM..

Old 12-08-2018, 11:14 AM

37 posts, read 36,048 times
When I was self-employed and working from home I made a point of leaving at least once a day. Even though I'm an introvert to my core, I found I'd get stir-crazy if I didn't get out and about. Sometimes all I'd need is a long walk in the nearest park.

Now that I'm back to working an office job, I try to reserve either Saturday or Sunday as a stay-at-home day. Ideally I try not to do much on that day either...I treat it like a real Sabbath as much as possible.

If I stay inside for two days or more, I get stir-crazy.

Old 12-08-2018, 12:27 PM

I walk every morning, early morning before many people are even awake, I don't need people to enjoy the countryside.

Old 12-08-2018, 02:21 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,694,459 times
Well, since I'm retired I can stay home all week long if I wanted to. However, I enjoy driving around and seeing the shore, foliage changes in the mountains and just enjoying life. So sitting cooped in at home all week long ain't really for me too much. But if I had to, I can.

Old 12-09-2018, 12:57 AM

7,643 posts, read 4,589,722 times
It's pretty rare that I would stay at home all day. Maybe if I'm sick...but by day 2 I need to go out a bit.

I don't think I'd make it in a nuclear catastrophe...maybe. I mean, can you imagine spending a multiple year half life in this?

https://www.terravivos.com/secure/vivosxpoint.htm

Old 12-09-2018, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
It's pretty rare that I would stay at home all day. Maybe if I'm sick...but by day 2 I need to go out a bit.

I don't think I'd make it in a nuclear catastrophe...maybe. I mean, can you imagine spending a multiple year half life in this?

https://www.terravivos.com/secure/vivosxpoint.htm
no, I don't like bunkers, I need to be above ground, to smell the earth and see the sky and to keep an eye on what is going on around me.

Old 12-09-2018, 01:25 AM

69 posts, read 50,969 times
I go to town about every two weeks. I try to get everything done in one trip ( groceries, Bank, drugstore, etc.) The rest of the time I stay at home but seldom stay inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness