Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 04:39 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,652,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
"Economics" covers a lot of ground. GM doesn't ship vehicles without a contract.
Irrelevant.
They build them and pay the workers and the suppliers
of steel before the customer pays for the car or truck.

But the useful idiots of the Leftists don't understand,
and their puppeteers keep them working against
their own interests, like the guy who feed his neighbor
to the crocodile, hoping the crock will eat him last.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Quotes A Lot View Post
I lived in a gated community once. Served on the HOA board as a matter of fact. The gates around the community were not even enough for the "elderly" community to feel safe. They viewed every little thing they didn't recognize as an immediate threat. We paid thousands of dollars on top of our gate maintenance to have a "security" vehicle occasionally drive through the property. Security didn't do anything other than occasionally stick "Parking Violation" stickers on vehicles of people who already lived there.

And these elderly people STILL COMPLAINED about vandals, vagrants, drifters, etc., wandering through the community.

Gates are fine, but they provide a false sense of security. If someone wants in bad enough, they'll figure it out.
Pretty obvious to me. You left the gates open and allowed the threat in, so that you could spend their money on a "security vehicle" that would not do their job (by your own words). Typical Democrat behavior: create a problem so that you can steal the people's money to pretend to fix that problem.

Same thing happens at the border. Keep a substandard fence in place, and organize caravans to attack our border patrols, creating a "refugee crisis" so that you can spend money in sanctuary cities, on the illegal alien problem that you created in the first place.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:37 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Irrelevant.
They build them and pay the workers and the suppliers
of steel before the customer pays for the car or truck.

But the useful idiots of the Leftists don't understand,
and their puppeteers keep them working against
their own interests, like the guy who feed his neighbor
to the crocodile, hoping the crock will eat him last.
Yeah, and you pick up your shovel and go dig ditches before you collect your paycheck. You don't dig, you don't get paid. Seems pretty relevant to me.

I see the problem with political nut cases.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
So much wrong with that post:

a) "GW" isn't affecting the tropics-- no warming there at all; almost all warming is in the polar third of the globe; warming in the temperate third is limited to increasing nite-time minimum temps, not day-time maximum temps.

b) Problems with eminent domain are minimal-- walls are essentially two dimensional, not three dimensional for practical purposes. How many cattle water at the Rio Grande?- much of which won't require a wall.

c) of the 1954 mile US/Mexican border, 550 miles already have a wall and funding was voted long ago (including votes from some of the biggest, hypocritical mouths against it now) for another 700 miles of wall; of the remaining 700 miles of border, a good deal of it won't require a wall for topological reasons.

Note that the current US govt expenditures are $7 Billion per day. $5 billion is just a rounding error in budgetary estimates. Size & source of funding is a non-issue, comparatively speaking.

The history of Texas should be reviewed to see what a liberal immigration policy can do to a sovereign territory.
a) Your information is based on assumptions that are 20 years out of date. The warming climate is already driving species to extinction in the tropics.

b) Where ranches are measured in square miles, eminent domain is a big issue. Fortunately, the wall will never be built, so it may be moot.

c) The sections of the border that needed a fence were identified years ago. A strong bipartisan coalition in Congress passed funding for the fence in 2006, the bill was signed by GWB, and the fence was built. Done deal.

d) $5.7 billion is just a down payment, perhaps 10% of the cost of the wall, assuming no cost overruns on the part of contractors. Then you have to maintain it. The cost of patrolling the wall is a push, since we already patrol the border.

e) Talk to a Texan. They will tell you Texas is doing just fine, thank you.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:36 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,345,804 times
Quote:
Typical Democrat behavior: create a problem so that you can steal the people's money to pretend to fix that problem.
This is precisely what Trump is doing with his idiotic border wall demands. He makes grossly exaggerated claims about "terrorists" coming over the southern border. A former CIA agent, whose entire job was counterterrorism, said that during his 20 years with the CIA, the southern border was nothing more than an afterthought. People with those kinds of intentions are coming in through means that a wall will do nothing to stop. Not all illegal immigrants walk here, either.

Of course, his base has been carefully indoctrinated to hate brown people, so there's that.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:38 PM

Contrary to popular opinion, the refugees seeking asylum are not Democrats. They are not Republicans. They are scared as hell and running for their lives. This mass migration has more to do with social conditions than outside invasion, but it has similarities too.

https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...ration/563744/

Old 01-11-2019, 04:41 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
I wonder why so few people have absolutely no understanding of economics.

Does General Motors insist that its employees and suppliers get paid directly by the customer?
Why doesn't General motors wait for its customer's check to clear, before building any trucks?
GM never said they expected any of this. Unfortunately, we have 45 using this promise as a rally cry.

BUTTTTTTT!!! Serious question.

Do any of you REALLY believe a wall would actually work?

The US border is over 2000 miles. Parts of it goes over mountains, parts over rivers and water, etc. All 2000+ miles would not be monitored 24 hrs a day. That's impossible.

Tests have show that a steel slat wall can easily be cut through by a power saw available at Home Depot.

A concrete wall is subject to being tunneled under. There are already real tunnels under parts of the current fencing that is along the border. Also, the wall was projected to be about 24 ft high. People could use 50 adjustable ladders to simply scale over the wall.

So, how would the wall be a GUARANTEED way to stop anyone?

Again, as an American, I do not support illegal immigration. I just don't want my money knowingly wasted on efforts I personally know won't work from day 1.

Old 01-11-2019, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post

Of course I do.

Walls already do work, every day.
I have lived behind them many times in my life.

I have seen, first hand that they work.
A lot of my friends would be dead today, if they didn't.

If it were true that the wall won't work, Pelosi wouldn't
call the wall "immoral," while living behind a wall, herself.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:59 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,869,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
GM never said they expected any of this. Unfortunately, we have 45 using this promise as a rally cry.

BUTTTTTTT!!! Serious question.

The US border is over 2000 miles. Parts of it goes over mountains, parts over rivers and water, etc. All 2000+ miles would not be monitored 24 hrs a day. That's impossible.

Tests have show that a steel slat wall can easily be cut through by a power saw available at Home Depot.

A concrete wall is subject to being tunneled under. There are already real tunnels under parts of the current fencing that is along the border. Also, the wall was projected to be about 24 ft high. People could use 50 adjustable ladders to simply scale over the wall.

So, how would the wall be a GUARANTEED way to stop anyone?

Again, as an American, I do not support illegal immigration. I just don't want my money knowingly wasted on efforts I personally know won't work from day 1.

I absolutely think they work, i know they work.

I can't "guarantee" anything. Nothing in life is a guarantee. Its a fool's errand to "guarantee" a wall will stop "everyone". But it will most certainly greatly reduce illegal crossings.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:42 AM

780 posts, read 425,526 times
Quote:
Pretty obvious to me. You left the gates open and allowed the threat in, so that you could spend their money on a "security vehicle" that would not do their job (by your own words). Typical Democrat behavior: create a problem so that you can steal the people's money to pretend to fix that problem.

Same thing happens at the border. Keep a substandard fence in place, and organize caravans to attack our border patrols, creating a "refugee crisis" so that you can spend money in sanctuary cities, on the illegal alien problem that you created in the first place.
Yes, that's exactly what we did! We much rather would have spent money on frivolous security services than the beautification of our community and proper maintenance like roof repairs and dead tree removal. You know, things that actually improve the value of our property that we all have stake in? No, instead, let's have as security vehicle driving around our complex to make it look like we're a crime haven.

We live in a major city with a police force, in a gated community. Why the hell do we need to hire a private security company that literally can’t do anything other than call the real police? I know, because old geezers sitting at home all day, bored out of their minds, imagine fake threats that don’t exist when they keep snooping out their windows and see a brown person moving around the property who just happens to be the UPS guy. The biggest real issues we ever had while I lived in that community were noise complaints between upstairs/downstairs neighbors and rat sightings. No vandalism, break-ins, theft, etc.

These people vote on the bleepin' budget spending, we don't just make it up as we go. Their input goes into whatever decisions we make at the board meetings. Literally everything that is done around the community is based on their needs and demands. I literally said that I thought the security service was a complete waste of our money; but the elderly residents demanded it in order to "feel safe" despite the fact that we had a 12 foot iron gate surrounding the community.

Last edited by Sir Quotes A Lot; 01-11-2019 at 10:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness