Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Lots of cheap guns or fewer high end guns?
Expensive but fewer 3 11.54%
Cheap but lots of 'em 1 3.85%
The truth is probably somewhere in the middle, as usual 22 84.62%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 02:42 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times

Advertisements

Given a generous yet finite budget (and not including the ammo budget), would it be smarter to buy fewer, more expensive high-quality guns or more cheaper and/or duplicates of the same type of gun for your prepper stash?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 04:09 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,584,434 times
All you need is one old single shot rifle.
If you're good with that, in a SHTF with lots of cops and soldiers running around, just like the partisans in WWII, one shot and you can take the full auto weapons, ammo and any explosives off of the oppressor.

Having a large stockpile of weapons isn't for Armageddon, it's in case of confiscation by the gun-grabbers in the government. IF that were to happen, then all those hidden stockpiled weapons and ammunition are better than gold.

Their value increases every time Boxer or one of her cohorts mouths off about subjects they know nothing about.
Just as the value of alcohol went up during prohibition, it's supply and demand. Firearms are just a tool, nothing more, nothing less. If you know that someone wanted to confiscate all the coffee in the country, wouldn't you stockpile a few beans just in case?

Having a large armory isn't about survival prepping, a few good weapons will take care of that. Large stockpiles are either collections or hedging your bet that there will eventually be enough dumb people to put other dumb people in power, then it becomes more about your assets.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:26 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,658,272 times
Quote:
hidden stockpiled
AKA: Cache.

Some interesting thoughts, here.
Sipsey Street Irregulars: A Brief Three Percent Catechism -- A discipline not for the faint-hearted.
Quote:
These four principles -- moral strength, physical readiness, no first use of force and no targeting of innocents -- are the hallmarks of the Three Percent ideal. Anyone who cannot accept them as a self-imposed discipline in the fight to restore the Founders' Republic should find something else to do and cease calling themselves a "Three Percenter."

Old 01-25-2019, 06:37 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,491,730 times
Guns and prepping often overlap, but they are each different things, and you can do one, both, or neither. There are some preppers who are anti's.

Sure, you can go with just a single shot rifle. But if you are planning to be part of a group, or if you have a large family, give some thought to multiple arms that use the same ammo. That way, if one group member runs low, somebody else's stockpile can resupply them.

I don't see where cost is even an issue. Any brand name gun will perform decently. They have to, or a bad rep would hurt sales. Likewise, very expensive firearms will just take resources away from other preps. Expensive guns don't usually shoot any better. Spend that money attending a first rate training school. Now THAT is a good investment!

Old 01-26-2019, 02:38 AM

300 posts, read 329,576 times
One thing to remember is that cheaper does not necessarily mean a crappier weapon, nor does a high price necessarily mean a better weapon.

Old 01-26-2019, 02:44 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,122,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechsix View Post
One thing to remember is that cheaper does not necessarily mean a crappier weapon, nor does a high price necessarily mean a better weapon.
This is why I generally wind up with a Ruger...they always seem to be the best value...IMHO.

Same with caliber...best to stick with most common.

Old 01-26-2019, 06:02 AM

2,899 posts, read 1,871,219 times
Life is about balance. You only have so many resources around (money) to be used as effectively as possible.

I know this is an over simplification
If you spend it all on guns you may starve

If you spend it all on food you can be murdered or robbed and then starve.

Spend your money as cost effectively as possible. I would personally rather have 2 G19s and 2 low to mid level ARs than to have a single really nice 1911 and a Daniel defense AR.

Don't buy cheap garbage but you don't necessarily need the best. It might be a force multiplier to be able to give your wife, kid, friend a spare gun that uses the same mags. Or if your primary breaks then use the other or canabilize it for parts.

I voted for the truth is in the middle

Old 01-26-2019, 06:31 AM

5,408 posts, read 3,605,299 times
I would say quality above quantity, which dosent always mean expensive.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:14 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,122,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
I would say quality above quantity, which dosent always mean expensive.
This is why I usually wind up with a Ruger...maybe not as smooth as an HK or as pretty but at half the price, they are tanks and tack drivers...can't go wrong.

Old 01-26-2019, 08:21 AM

25,758 posts, read 18,826,754 times
Besides a couple of old military weapons, most all of my firearms are Ruger at this point. They are just a good value, put together well, and do what they are supposed to do. The long-range Precision series rifles are great for the money--have two of them. And I've had my eye on that new .338 for awhile now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness