Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 09:44 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times

Advertisements

If you have children, grandchildren, nieces and nephews, be aware that at some time during their lifetimes, they will no longer be able to purchase a firearm. However, you can purchase as many as you wish right now, along with unlimited rounds of ammunition, plus magazines, webbing, and spare parts. If you can afford to do so, you should purchase as much as you feel is prudent.

How they feel about firearms presently is of no consequence. They will become mature, just as you will grow older and pass on, leaving your purchases to them unrecorded. After we are gone, having access to arms that are not registered to them, may be all that stands between them and death. It has happened before. Don't let it happen to your loved ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 11:38 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,579,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
If you have children, grandchildren, nieces and nephews, be aware that at some time during their lifetimes, they will no longer be able to purchase a firearm. However, you can purchase as many as you wish right now, along with unlimited rounds of ammunition, plus magazines, webbing, and spare parts. If you can afford to do so, you should purchase as much as you feel is prudent.

How they feel about firearms presently is of no consequence. They will become mature, just as you will grow older and pass on, leaving your purchases to them unrecorded. After we are gone, having access to arms that are not registered to them, may be all that stands between them and death. It has happened before. Don't let it happen to your loved ones.
Good advice Nor'Eastah. I have a rifle my uncle bought new in 1940. Buying ammunition to go with the weapon you pass along is also a good idea since my rifle is chambered for a round it's very difficult to find now.

Old 03-11-2019, 11:46 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,868,294 times
Buy AR stripped lowers now while you can. You can get them for 50-75$ in most places.

Soon in the near future I think many are going to be faced with a difficult moral choice on what they do, or, do not do.

Old 03-11-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Good advice Nor'Eastah. I have a rifle my uncle bought new in 1940. Buying ammunition to go with the weapon you pass along is also a good idea since my rifle is chambered for a round it's very difficult to find now.
Likewise, I was left with shotguns, revolvers, and hunting rifles from my dad's brother, along with some very old chainsaws. Sorry to say the whole lot of it sat out in my grand dad's barn while I was.in college, but it was dry in there. In my 20s I retrieved it all, and have it still.

Old 03-11-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Buy AR stripped lowers now while you can. You can get them for 50-75$ in most places.

Soon in the near future I think many are going to be faced with a difficult moral choice on what they do, or, do not do.
Yes, I have been thinking about buying AR lowers. Will discuss pros and cons with.my local FFL.

My OP advice is for those who have already made their moral choices.

Old 03-11-2019, 01:09 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,868,294 times
Quote:
Yes, I have been thinking about buying AR lowers. Will discuss pros and cons with.my local FFL.

Old 03-11-2019, 01:25 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,579,743 times
Quote:

I see the value in that, investment wise if nothing else.

Problem with any semi-auto or automatic weapon is always going to be having ammunition to feed it since they can go through a lot in a hurry. No ammo and they lose their value.

I love my single shots for accuracy at any range, and they're shorter and lighter since I do a lot of hunting where I have to pack in for miles, every ounce counts. Plus, in the back country, there's fewer moving parts to fix if they break.

I have been considering buying a River Ranch rifle Mini 30 in 7.62. I know ballistically they're about the same as a 30-30, but they are fast low profile semi-autos that are short and light. Pretty simple actions too. The ammunition is everywhere including military rounds that will probably always be available on the black market. Make a good pack rifle too.

Old 03-11-2019, 05:19 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,649,221 times
Quote:
Quote:
My opinion, if you have the funds to buy firearms and ammo today,
and you don't, you have made an immoral choice.
Failure to act. That simple.

(There are quite a few things you should stock up on.
But no one is trying to pass a dried legumes control act.)

Old 03-11-2019, 05:27 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,965,100 times
during 1999, we stocked up on ammo because of Y2K (remember?).

still shooting that stockpile at the range. had plenty of .22LR when the
Obama shortage hit. bartered about 1/3 of it for various items.
bottom line: right now is another buying opportunity.
any kind of ammunition is as cheap as it has been
for the last 11 years.

Old 03-11-2019, 06:10 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,649,221 times
Starting with "how much ammo do you think you will expend in the next three years?"

If you don't have that much, you need to buy more,
even if you have to sell your video games and cut your cable TV.

Beyond that is kinda negotiable, but I really think it
would be wise to have, by the end of this year, all
of the ammo you will need for the rest of your life.

Then start thinking about guns for your children
and grandchildren. And ammo for them.

(Next topic - cache - but we already covered that.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness