Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 09:41 AM

305 posts, read 241,145 times

Advertisements

get a mountain bike you know the kind you have to pedal, you have to go old school on this one, find some back trails to ride to get to your parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 09:44 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubMike View Post
get a mountain bike, find some back trails to ride to get to your parents.
Under any circumstances, yeah, get a couple of simple mountain bikes. Better, have a couple in both locations and be ready to toss the home bikes in the back of the truck. Rationing gasoline starts on D-Day, if not before.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:53 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
First step, get a good topo map. Look it over carefully. Are there other routes instead of following the road? Perhaps cross country would offer a shorter path, cover and even maybe resupply from available wild plants growing along the way.

Have you looked at possible waterways? If there are rivers, lakes or navigable streams, a canoe may offer quicker transport. You said there is a river 200 yards from your destination, perhaps there is a linking waterway you could use. If no direct route, even with a portage, you could carry more supplies than on you back.

Why not look to see what options there may be, and do a dry run. Actually travel your chosen route to see if it's feasible. If you plan on walking, hike it and look where there are camp sites or hides for cover. See where you could cache supplies in case you had to run unprepared, or for resupply.

Same i with a bike. Your cache may need a new tire or chain. If by boat or canoe, perhaps a spare paddle or means to repair a leak or hole. I'd probably add a tube tent and maybe a sleeping bag and matches, an ax and knife and extra ammunition as well as food and a mess kit. Whatever you think would help you get where your going safely.

Quick thought, if you did have to run unprepared, perhaps a pair of hiking shoes, dry socks and some clothing in your first cache a days hike from your starting point.

Just a couple ideas.

Old 03-16-2019, 10:18 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
As one, I hate to say this but 20 days of traveling 200 miles on foot with a woman? Sorry; many women are strong in their own right; even I have outlasted a man while trying to trudge through snowdrifts during our 1997 El Nino Blizzard ... but that required a shorter energy output over just a few hours versus days & days & days.

It was nice to hear him talk about me later as "The strongest woman I have ever met ..." but I'm not confused as to the realities of how this would translate into other scenarios.

Also, I keep thinking about your feet. The tendency is to push through the early blistering stage which only hobbles one for longer later on. You have done 50 miles before, which is impressive but still is just one-fourth of the distance you have proposed.

How are the rails in your area? Any chance a simple Handcar could cover some of those miles?

I don't know what is happening elsewhere but in my area, there has been a lot of activity in the form of updating & repairing neglected spans of train tracks; something occasionally mentioned as a possible foreboding of SHTF. Some of the repairs are being done on lines that haven't been used for over 40 years ...

Old 03-16-2019, 11:03 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,864,185 times
I think people will behave for as long as they think things will return to normal and it's only an isolated problem. Once they self realize things aren't going to suddenly improve and help isn't coming that's when the worst in some people will show itself. It could take anywhere from 2 hours to 2 weeks. Who knows.

Since you already know where you are going and a specific route...

Find a strategic place or 2 perhaps about 1/3 and then again at 2/3 the way there and bury a secret survival cache to replenish your supplies.

Stash and store more ammo, freeze dried food, first aid, water purification etc..

Knowing you have a means of replenishment along the way would be a great morale boost.

Another idea, if you plan on keeping your vehicle awhile....buy a spare ECU and keep it safe and protected in a Faraday cage. That way in the event of an EMP or CME you can replace the fried one in your vehicle with the spare and drive to your bugout.

Just a few thoughts.

Old 03-16-2019, 03:17 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
In the scenario you are discussing, anyone who stays in a fixed location, will be discovered by the hordes and taken for all they have. The safety of your parents' isolated home would be just a temporary illusion. Approximately every three weeks, the world's population would be cut in half, as the other half eats them. Your only chance is to stay on the move at night and out of sight. You'd be hunted by your tracks and any signs you left at a campsite, just as animals have been previously. If you could remain undetected until the population is reduced to a tiny fraction of what it was, you might be able to survive. Except for one thing: All the world's 450 nuclear power plants would go untended and explode, killing every living thing, except maybe the cockroaches. People who practice Survivalism, should first concentrate on forcing the end and cleanup of nuclear power. All other issues about survival are moot, if that isn't accomplished.

Recommended viewing: The performance of Leonard Cohen's "The Future", as shown with the closing credits of "Natural Born Killers".

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 03-16-2019 at 03:31 PM..

Old 03-17-2019, 05:45 AM

5,404 posts, read 3,595,350 times
unless people realise that S has hit the fan, and in a slow burn event that may not be so noticeable, they probably wont realise it until the power goes off and that may be too late.
without food they will be dead or dying within 3 weeks, without water 3-4 days, and not going anywhere.
bugging out is a nice concept but unless one can realise something is wrong you'll never bug out in time.

Old 03-17-2019, 07:37 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
unless people realise that S has hit the fan, and in a slow burn event that may not be so noticeable, they probably wont realise it until the power goes off and that may be too late.
without food they will be dead or dying within 3 weeks, without water 3-4 days, and not going anywhere.
bugging out is a nice concept but unless one can realise something is wrong you'll never bug out in time.
Yes, that's why "hordes from the city" are not the big worry, particularly if one has a hideout as much as 200 miles away. The unprepared from the city aren't getting out anywhere near that far.

It's actually other preppers you have to worry about, and that's why real survival is going to depend on a like-minded community.

Old 03-17-2019, 08:36 AM

5,404 posts, read 3,595,350 times
other preppers is my location are non existent, the nearest real prepper is in the next county-either direction.
non preppers aren't my worry either, they'll all be dead in a month once the shops are empty.
"community" dosent exist any more, its everyone for themselves, and don't go trusting strangers or turning your back on them.

Old 03-17-2019, 08:39 AM

2,671 posts, read 2,232,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Baptist View Post
Hey all,

I'm a mid twenties "millennial" that programs software and runs a small chicken farm with about 80 layers and we run batches of 50 meat birds every 2 months. I live on the rural outskirts of the Raleigh/Durham area with my wife, and if the SHTF us few rural folks here on the outskirts will be easily overwhelmed by an onslaught of unprepared city-folks. .....

The route we plan to take goes north from Raleigh Durham to Person County and then West thru Mount Airy into Ashe County so as to avoid the main thoroughfares. This is the same route whether truck or on foot.

The route you NEED to plan will require a plane ticket or a large boat across the Pacific Ocean to the South Seas somewhere. Because going a mere 200 miles from your house in Raleigh won't be good enough when the SHTF in the USA. It's like what happened in Russia in 1917. What good would it have done you to dig a bunker in Siberia? And THAT incident won't be anything even close to what's going to happen in America in about 50-75 years. When the US goes down, we're taking down the whole West and probably half the world with us. At least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness