Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 08:42 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,238,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
The government usually does make a mess of it. But, I can't think of anyone else who could maintain stocks of essential supplies in preparation for a disaster.
As someone whose FL home had 2 direct hits by Category 4 hurricanes (meaning outbuildings ended up as sticks spread over miles)--and who spent over a decade working for both local and federal government--I can tell you with utter certainty that whatever "essential supplies" our government stockpiles, they are NOT going to be shared with YOU (the powerless peon whose taxes pays for them). A photo op may be set up in the middle of some city, where supposedly Big Daddy government is handing out food, water & supplies, but it is almost ALWAYS a private non-profit organization that does this (and only in the middle of major population centers). The government is only there to keep order -- meaning, they will bring in more police to try to get control of looters that are targeting BUSINESSES, while they could care less about the looting of private homes.

When natural disasters occur, even if you have a gun shop withing walking distance, mandatory 3-day waiting periods (which gun shops don't dare violate under any circumstances) mean losing everything in your house, and possibly your life and the lives of your family members.

Your fellow citizens, on the other hand (assuming you live around like-minded decent people, who don't look to the government to take care of them), WILL BE THERE to help with both labor and goods as needed--while the cops are nowhere to be found, waiting for roving murdering / thieving gangs to be dealt with by the first armed household they attempt to rob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 02:12 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,271,755 times
I have wondered what effect a volcanic eruption in a super caldera would have. The effect of Mt. Tambora's eruption lasted a year. It temporarily lowered the global temperature by as much as 3 degrees. That doesn't sound like much, but according to the history books, it was enough to trigger disease outbreaks and cause massive migration of hungry people.

Old 04-17-2019, 02:21 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,962,528 times
Yellowstone is a significant threat but the current looming threats would seem to be the migration (happening now) and weakening of the magnetic north pole and the earths magnetic field. Followed closely by EMP attack or huge solar flare.

Global cooling in the very near future is expected by many as part of natural cycles. Many feel that we just had an unusually cold winter.

Old 04-17-2019, 03:10 PM

8,927 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:

Continental drift, the earth's orbit, solar radiation, changes in ocean circulation, changes in the amount of carbon dioxide, volcanic eruptions - good grief.

Doesn't seem that anyone has fitted all the pieces together, or even has all the pieces!

What what I have read, I am glad I will not live to see another ice age. I would rather live in an interglacial age. I think I could handle a warming climate much better!

I don't understand why we fear a warming climate more than a cooling climate. I can understand why we fear climate change. Our cities, farming practices, even our transportation, are based on a stable climate.

One thing I have never understood. Why doesn't our government prepare for changes in our climate? We seem to be content to whine, ***** and react when our weather becomes destructive.
Quote:
I have wondered what effect a volcanic eruption in a super caldera would have. The effect of Mt. Tambora's eruption lasted a year. It temporarily lowered the global temperature by as much as 3 degrees. That doesn't sound like much, but according to the history books, it was enough to trigger disease outbreaks and cause massive migration of hungry people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Yellowstone is a significant threat but the current looming threats would seem to be the migration (happening now) and weakening of the magnetic north pole and the earths magnetic field. Followed closely by EMP attack or huge solar flare.

Global cooling in the very near future is expected by many as part of natural cycles. Many feel that we just had an unusually cold winter.
The answers to all of the above involve politics, and so, cannot be discussed here.
Also, many feel, not many think.

“How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” -- Hitler.

Old 04-17-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
The answers to all of the above involve politics, and so, cannot be discussed here.
Also, many feel, not many think.

“How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” -- Hitler.
If you read closer you may note that the sentence referred to the migration of the magnetic north pole. It is moving towards Russia at a previously unprecedented rate - ten times the speed it used to show. Many are very concerned. There is absolutely nothing we can do about such geomagnetic events other than adjust GPS satellites to account for the movement.

Old 04-17-2019, 04:46 PM

8,927 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
If you read closer you may note that the sentence referred to the migration of the magnetic north pole. It is moving towards Russia at a previously unprecedented rate - ten times the speed it used to show. Many are very concerned. There is absolutely nothing we can do about such geomagnetic events other than adjust GPS satellites to account for the movement.
Yeah, I had a couple other migrations in mind.

That magnetic pole had better watch it. I used to keep company with a bomber nav from the cold war, and he said the Ruskies don't take kindly to things sneaking into their northern frontier

Old 04-17-2019, 05:09 PM

Ruskies vs. geomagnetism

I'll put $20 on geomagnetism.

I am often amazed at how small out abilities are compared to those found in nature. The sun, for example, can cook an exposed person to death from 93 million miles away. I figure we may have to be closer to .93 miles to cook someone to death with our present technology.

Old 04-18-2019, 02:16 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,271,755 times
If the poles shift, will the North American continent become the South American continent? Should make for some interesting geography lessons. Will this mess up monarch butterflies, and turtles?

I am old enough I don't like change. Hope I am gone before this happens!

Old 04-18-2019, 04:00 PM

7,238 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Quote:
If the poles shift, will the North American continent become the South American continent? !

Yes. It means we're all gunna hafta learn to speak South American and take long naps every afternoon.

Some species (pigeons, bees, horses among them) navigate by sensing the magnetic field. The transition period as the poles swap places slowly and irregularly over 1-10 thousand yrs may (or may not) be problematic for them. Once stabilized in the swapped positions, it should be no problem. (poles are mirror images of each other-- no differences)

Fears of increased cancer rates if planet's magnetic field weakens are probably greatly exaggerated: most advanced life forms are protected by hair, feathers, clothes, bark, etc. Lower life forms actually benefit by higher mutation rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness