Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 01:46 PM

370 posts, read 446,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Once used a machete to clear a few acres of invasive weeds from granddads farm. It was the perfect weapon - and great fun for a 15 year old.

Operating a chainsaw to clear the jungle could be hazardous. Vines tend to wrap around the ankles or neck. One best be sober.

Exactly!

REPLANTING ABANDONED LAND, WE BOUGHT:

First phase of reforestation is roaming through the property cutting back all the vines with a machete. Also makes the spider webs manageable later on.

Second phase is to shear off any tallow trees, holly or lower canopy that robs nutrients and water from the upper canopy trees.

Third phase is to cut down all large tallows during the spring and summer. We can identify them faster in the summer due to foliage. They look like live oak or swamp oak in their dormant phase.

Final phase is planting Longleaf pine.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2019, 03:58 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,303,849 times
I have the SOG "sogfari" machete. It was about $20. It's nice for clearing quick trails.

While not a machete, I just bought a manual "grass whip". It feels and swings similar to a golf club, except it has a double edged steel blade on the end instead of a club. It works great for clearing tall and overgrown brush and grass areas. It can even take out small tree sprouts with a good swing. It's main drawback is after a few minutes of good whipping you'll be huffing and puffing! Maybe everyone has always known about these, but I had never seen one https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B077G...mob_b_pd_title $24.99 for a neat little tool.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:02 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,900,190 times
I live on 9 acres in Hawaii and 3 of them are pure jungle. I have lost count of how many machetes I've owned but I use them how machetes were made to be used. My favorite machete was made in Honduras. It's heavier than a 'standard' machete and also thicker but if you're strong enough to repeatedly swing it, it essentially doubles as a hatchet or small axe. It shows up nearly kitchen-knife sharp... this is not a machete for beginners. If you accidentally miss your swing and hit your shin or whatever you'll need stitches. The local cutlery place hooked me up with an axe/machete sharpener the owner helped to develop and it re-sharpens this machete in only three pulls. I love this machete and it caused marriage strife when the wife lost it after cutting down a stand of bananas. We eventually found it and I put bright pink duct tape on the tang just above the handle so it stands out when laid down in the jungle. It's easy to not see something that blends in like that, especially if your eyes are full of sweat. I bought mine on Amazon but it was like $60 (now $80). If you shop around maybe you can get a better deal but this is exactly what I have:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...language=en_US

Whatever machete you get, I recommend high-carbon steel. It will take an edge like no other and if you can re-sharpen it in 3 pulls you're golden. The balance on this "professional" machete is amazing. The moment it's in your hands you'll immediately want to whack stuff down with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness