Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 03:27 PM

1,743 posts, read 991,798 times

Advertisements

We live in a forest of Oaks and they are constantly launching limbs/missiles at us!

As you can see from the pictures ... A giant oak attacked my shed!

Fortunately, it was the shed and not our house!
(We just had both the shed and the house re-roofed.)

Since it is the shed ... I am going to 'attempt' to fix the damage myself.

Here is what I am going to do and I would like to ask any roofers (or former roofers) their advice before I start?

1) Remove limb .. (Not rocket science)

2) Cut a thin square (5"x5") of wood and using Titebond Ultimate 111 wood glue, attach it to inside of roof.

3) Outside I plan to use leak stopper Rubber Flex Sealant to waterproof the hole. (It's the spray on kind)

4) Next, I plan to cover the hole (outside) with Gorilla Waterproof Patch and Seal Tape.

The next part is where I need the most help!

I have leftover asphalt shingles from the roofing jobs that were done but I don't know the best way to attach the replacement piece?

I hate thinking that I'll need to nail it because of nail holes?

Can I glue the shingle in place?

Thank You for any help you can provide.
(I bolded the material names that I am using for feedback purposes only)

There is a lot riding on this ... my Better Half has promised me a slice of this gorgeous pie!(last photo) If I somehow manage to not make things worse than they are!

THE PRIZE ...

KEYLIME PIE!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 03:59 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
If you replace the entire damaged shingle/s, nails are definitely the way to go. If those are 3 tab seal down shingles, you may end up replacing several since they seal together and you may not be able to replace just one.

If I were you, I'd probably back the replacement plug with a strip of OSB spanning from rafter to rafter and a couple inches wider than the hole to prevent the plug coming loose and leaking in the future.

If you want a permanent fix, you would need to replace the whole sheet that has the hole and redo your shingles. That's the only way to regain the original integrity of your roof.

Good luck.

Old 04-16-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
If you replace the entire damaged shingle/s, nails are definitely the way to go. If those are 3 tab seal down shingles, you may end up replacing several since they seal together and you may not be able to replace just one.

If I were you, I'd probably back the replacement plug with a strip of OSB spanning from rafter to rafter and a couple inches wider than the hole to prevent the plug coming loose and leaking in the future.

If you want a permanent fix, you would need to replace the whole sheet that has the hole and redo your shingles. That's the only way to regain the original integrity of your roof.

Good luck.
Thank You MTSilvertip for your help.

Dumb questions?

What is a 3 tab seal down shingle?

What is OSB?

Since it is only a shed, I doubt that I'll have the whole board and shingles replaced.

It's important but not that important.

Old 04-16-2019, 04:23 PM

I looked up the 3 tab shingles.
That was the old cheap roof that we had.

The house and the shed are now Architectural Shingles.

Old 04-16-2019, 04:31 PM

OSB is oriented strand board, the panels that sheet your roof and the shingles are nailed to.
Most asphalt shingles fall intimate 2 categories, 3 tab or T lock. 3 tab when you look at your replacement shingles, have a long back with 3 tabs on the lower edge.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/owens-corni...8aAtuZEALw_wcB

T lock are shaped like the letter T and are woven together. They're much harder to repair. Not very common these days.

https://www.google.com/search?q=t+lo...LzoBQCtpeYV9lM

Hope that helps.

Old 04-16-2019, 04:34 PM

If
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoore View Post
I looked up the 3 tab shingles.
That was the old cheap roof that we had.

The house and the shed are now Architectural Shingles.
Basically the same as 3 tab, the repair techniques are the same.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:43 PM

264 posts, read 200,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
If

Basically the same as 3 tab, the repair techniques are the same.

Easily I think, since you can patch a small section and alignment of the tabs isn't an issue.

What you describe in 1-4 is fine, little overkill if anything.

To get the old shingle bottom edges to raise up (you'll find they have sealed down if they've been up more than a few months of hot weather), I use a wide, flat pry bar (the long end, not the curved end) like this up under the bottom edges of the row of shingles above to carefully loosen, (don't tear, the shingle in the course above, or you be replacing it too !) then expose the nails of the damaged shingle. ( bar flipped over from this view)

Shingles have a self sealing tar strip on the back of them that heats up with sun exposure and sorta 'glues' them together...that is what you're trying to break loose with the bar. I find it's best on a day the shingles are fairly warm from the sun and fairly flexible.....just go slow and easy....don't get in a hurry.

Then a 'cat's paw' bar like this to dig out the nails. Hammer the long end under the nail and pop it up. Remove the 3 or 4 nails in the damaged shingle (and you probably will have to remove nails from the next row up as well as it usually holds the top of the shingle you want to remove), then simply slide out/down the damaged shingle. May need to slide the flat bar under the damaged shingle if it sticks the course below. If it doesn't slide out fairly easy, you missed a nail that is hanging you up.

Once you have the old one out, simply slide a new one in place, hold the course above upward and re-nail using 1 1/4" roofing nails in about the same spots as the previous nails were located.

Pretty simple repair actually.

Last edited by Tn_eddy; 04-16-2019 at 06:55 PM..

Old 04-16-2019, 08:10 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,902,551 times
"4) Next, I plan to cover the hole (outside) with Gorilla Waterproof Patch and Seal Tape."

I would use Versa roofing tape. It's specifically for roofing repairs and it sticks under water. If you should accidentally let the sticky side touch more sticky side you will never get them apart. It's near the duct tape at Home Depot.

Old 04-17-2019, 01:57 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,273,929 times
Next time the tree tells you it wants some fertilizer, don't give it the cheap stuff!

Old 04-17-2019, 04:39 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Howdy claymoore,
Make sure the materials you are repairing are completely dry.
Instead of a repair piece on the inside of roof (5"x5"), i think i would use a piece of plywood 12"x12" or a piece of about similar dimensions of solid wood 1"x12".....11.5"x11.5"
Shim up a few lengths of 2"x4" to hold the repair piece firmly against the ceiling until the glue dries completely.

On the outside of roof install some roofing felt to the damaged area, then install the number of 3 tab glue type shingles needed to repair damaged area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ2qiY-kS7Y

Good Luck to you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness