Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 10:13 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times

Advertisements

I'm a "Mountain House" guy because I've tried several other brands and MH has best taste/quality/value.

Am I wrong? If anybody else has other experiences would love to hear them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 05:13 AM

64 posts, read 44,570 times
I am also a Mountain House fan (I keep a 30 day supply for 4 on hand).

Old 05-25-2019, 02:58 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
Mountain House has the best flavor and texture of the big brands. Auburg Farms has good quality at more reasonable prices, but they don't have individual meals, their stuff comes in #10 size cans.
Their onions and other products are very good quality, but once the can is opened, the clock starts.
Easy to store good quantities, cheaper per meal, and if you use freeze dried a lot in your daily cooking, Auburg is a serious contender.

Old 05-25-2019, 06:55 PM

Do you mean Augason Farms? I have a few #10 cans of shredded potatoes (hash browns) I got on some Amazon sale. I've never tried them but glad to hear they are good quality.

I do have some stuff I bought in buckets that contain individual pouches of freeze dried foods but regardless of brand it seems the best value per serving is always the #10 cans (and the cans are rodent resistant). While its true the clock starts ticking once opened you can extend their life by tossing in an oxygen absorber inside the can and resealing it. You can also keep them fairly indefinitely in a deep freezer that way.

My strategy is that if I need the food, and I'm not feeding enough people to make it through a #10 can eating spaghetti (or whatever) once a day for 2-3 days I'll just eat it 2 or 3 times a day and get through the can quickly. That's why it's good to have variety.

My wife thought it was weird that I opened a can of MH lasagna, made a serving in a mug, and then put it in the freezer. I ate off it until it was gone. Didn't take long, but I LIKE their food. If you want to take their lasagna to the next level, cut up a mozzarella cheese stick per large serving and put it in there to melt while the food rehydrates. Yum!

Old 05-26-2019, 11:52 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,301,121 times
I like everything about Mountain House except for the price, which is a tad steep. They are hard to store long term because they are too easy to grab for a weekend out camping/hiking/quick meal etc. .

I bought my own freeze drier last year and I'm excited to play around with it more this year. By the time you do all the work to make a delicious freeze dried meal and buy all the supplies to do it, it makes the MH seem like not such a bad deal price wise.

I've been tempted to try the augason farm brand stuff off Amazon as the prices are very very tempting. However anytime I've tried to stray away from the almighty Mountain House, I've always been dissatisfied.

Old 05-27-2019, 04:56 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Do you mean Augason Farms? I have a few #10 cans of shredded potatoes (hash browns) I got on some Amazon sale. I've never tried them but glad to hear they are good quality.

I do have some stuff I bought in buckets that contain individual pouches of freeze dried foods but regardless of brand it seems the best value per serving is always the #10 cans (and the cans are rodent resistant). While its true the clock starts ticking once opened you can extend their life by tossing in an oxygen absorber inside the can and resealing it. You can also keep them fairly indefinitely in a deep freezer that way.

My strategy is that if I need the food, and I'm not feeding enough people to make it through a #10 can eating spaghetti (or whatever) once a day for 2-3 days I'll just eat it 2 or 3 times a day and get through the can quickly. That's why it's good to have variety.

My wife thought it was weird that I opened a can of MH lasagna, made a serving in a mug, and then put it in the freezer. I ate off it until it was gone. Didn't take long, but I LIKE their food. If you want to take their lasagna to the next level, cut up a mozzarella cheese stick per large serving and put it in there to melt while the food rehydrates. Yum!
Yeah, that's them. I can never remember that name for some reason.

I dehydrate a lot of produce from my garden, I even but extra from the local Hutterite colonies, but always use more dried onions and green peppers. I haven't figured out how to dry potatoes either, so I get some cans of Augusson. They really bridge the gap.

Old 05-27-2019, 12:02 PM

"I bought my own freeze drier last year and I'm excited to play around with it more this year. By the time you do all the work to make a delicious freeze dried meal and buy all the supplies to do it, it makes the MH seem like not such a bad deal price wise. "

Did you get the Harvest Right model? I've looked into it but it's expensive to buy and operate and the feedback from owners is that they are a maintenance nightmare. I was wondering if there was another option?

Old 05-27-2019, 12:08 PM

I almost forgot to mention, the company who owns Mountain House has another freeze dried food company called Summit To Eat. They are for the European market and and have bolder, more flavorful meals. I tried one of their Indian dishes and it blew my mind. It was like eating at an authentic Indian restaurant. I bought it from a place in Germany who ships worldwide but here is the manufacturer web site:

https://www.summittoeat.com/

Old 05-27-2019, 08:48 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
I almost forgot to mention, the company who owns Mountain House has another freeze dried food company called Summit To Eat. They are for the European market and and have bolder, more flavorful meals. I tried one of their Indian dishes and it blew my mind. It was like eating at an authentic Indian restaurant. I bought it from a place in Germany who ships worldwide but here is the manufacturer web site:

https://www.summittoeat.com/
Thanks. I like Mountain House and have never heard of Summit To Eat.

Old 05-16-2021, 08:24 PM

Mountain House is available at Costco online at an impressive price. The "Asian Inspired" kit has yellow chicken curry, pad thai, and other flavors that had been hard to find domestically.

https://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch...mountain+house

I don't know if they sell out of it frequently or what because the availability changes every couple of days. The price of a 6-pack of #10 cans is about $100 less than amazon.

I recently stumbled across this place. They sell freeze dried raw food, among other things, so that one can cook things like steaks the way they like. Most of the meats don't look to be a great value, but the filet mignon comes out roughly the same price per pound (once reconstituted) as buying fresh filet mignon from Safeway. https://freezedrywholesalers.com/collections/raw-foods

Costco also sells other brands:

https://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch...d=freeze+dried
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness