Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 05:31 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times

Advertisements

I've carried a pocket knife since I was seven, Swiss Army Knife most of that time. My current model is the SwissChamp. I also carry a tiny knife on my key chain. I've never met anyone who was at all surprised by either knife.

These knives are tools, not weapons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 05:44 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,027 times
lol I don't need a pocket knife for self defense. I have my hands and feet. I studied ITF Taekwondo in high school because i had a lot of bullies, and I used for self defense. I have had to use it a few times since high school, and it has served me well. One is always armed....you just have to learn how to use the weapons that are part of your body.

Old 06-16-2019, 06:17 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
I wear my Bowie knife around my place,my Buck knife when i go into town, my Machete when we're going through some thick bush...

Old 06-16-2019, 06:28 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,904,348 times
When I was a kid I always had a swiss army knife. As an adult I switched to Leatherman or SOG. When I was in Alaska it seemed everybody had a multi-tool of some kind all the time.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:06 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
I personally carry a Gerber multitool. Way more useful than a pocket knife

Old 06-16-2019, 10:22 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Always carry a knife and almost always carry my G19

Old 06-16-2019, 11:56 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxtaposition109 View Post
I grew up in rural Kentucky and all of my friends and I always carried a small pocket knife. It is a habit I still have to this current day. For me personally, it's both a tool, as well as a small piece of self-defense if needed. What I've noticed though and what I wanted to ask many of you about as I again assume most people in this forum carry one, is the following question about this common scenario. I've had a few people over the years say things like, "Oh my God, you carry a knife?". I then point out that it is only a small pocket knife (my current one is the Dewalt Folding Knife). What I noticed though, is that the same people that say things like this to me are always the same people that call me when they need help w/ things such as changing tires, moving furniture, and questions about outdoor activities. Is it just me, or have you all noticed that the same people that flip out about you carrying a pocket knife are the same people that always call you when they need help w/ handyman/outdoor type activities? I would assume that these same types of people are the ones who will call everyone on this forum if a major catastrophic event happens, and they will then again "need your help" although you are scary b/c you carry a pocket knife. Thank you

The Kind of Men Who Carry Pocketknives | Appalachian Magazine
When I was a kid, most boys carried a pocket knife, but I never did. I used a folding knife when I was whittling or cutting a branch off a tree, but I never packed it along, when I went places. I never felt that I needed it, as people would just take one look at me and not give me any trouble.

Old 06-17-2019, 12:34 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
This thread is a hoot! Does anybody really act shocked because a guy carries a pocket knife?? That is more a commentary on today's society than it is on pocket knives!

In northern Maine I'd be in a tough spot if I didn't have one of my knives with me. It's just expected that men will be able to open packages, cut rope or string, divide a donut to share with a grandchild, or any number of mundane tasks.

Those sanctimonious types who claim they don't need weapons...they wouldn't have one with a pocket knife! If I feel I need a weapon, it'll be a damn sight heavier piece of metal than a pocket knife! And no, I don't apologise to anybody for carrying it!

Old 06-17-2019, 01:32 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,407 times
I have a tiny key chain knife. Blade is like 1 1/4 inch.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:52 AM

289 posts, read 255,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
I don't carry a knife and don't own a gun. Prep is about knowledge, not always having some kind of weapon on you.
Please elaborate. How is not having one of the most useful tools that ever existed, on you, smart prep? You are correct that the most important thing is knowledge, but with knowledge should come the understanding that having a knife is smart prep. Maybe your answer will have something to do with the fact that you refer to a knife (excluding the gun for my question) as a "weapon". Of course a knife can be a weapon, but it can also be a simple multi-functional tool. Even one of those tiny Swiss Army knives can be extremely handy on many an occasion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness