Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 03:48 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, I have had numerous examples of both Victorinox and Wenger, from the 1960s through today (I use them for certain purposes) and I still stand by my opinion that the metal is soft and doesn't hold an edge well,
All I know is I can put an edge on mine you can almost shave with.

Quote:
the assembly quality is so-so,
The one I jhave now is abut 30 years old, it's as tight as it was when I bought it. Nothing is loose.

Quote:
the screwdrivers twist off if you try to use them for anything that requires any torque at all.
I don't ever recall using mine for anything heavy but it wouldn't surprise me if it were damaged. I used to do a lot of packpacking, you can't carry a tool box in your pack back. You need that weight capacity for beer. You are not going to use this to work on stuff but if you need a screwdriver to tighten a screw up until you get screwdriver you have one.

Quote:
And most of them the blades don't lock (are there some that do?) which I greatly prefer.
I have seen some that lock but they were single blade. If I was buying single blade I'd be looking at different knife.

Quote:
It's also a pain in the fingernail to try to pry that blade out of the middle of the thing with the little notch and your fingernail, compared to a single blade pocket knife most of which have a little tab or stud to grab onto.
I have single blade knives but they don't have for example a small set of pliers. I fish occasionally and that is super handy. It's a small compact pocket knife that can do many things. It doesn't do all of them well but it's better than nothing. As I mentioned the one I have has the typical two blades, can opener, bottle opener/flathead. phillips, awl and the pliers. If I buy one again I'll look for one like that but with the scissors and the saw.

Quote:
Sure the factory can put a good sharp edge on a blade, but if the edge goes away quickly and the metal's so hard and gummy it takes forever to resharpen and then the edge goes away quickly again, that doesn't meet my requirements for a knife.
Metal is finicky, you can make it hard that will hold a nice edge but it chips easily or can snap. Make it soft but the edge is not so great and it easily bends. Quick bit trivia, this is why Katana's are considered so good. the edge is super hard metal and the backbone is softer metal.

Quote:
Obviously multi-tool units have their place. But when I really need a screwdriver, I want to use an actual screwdriver with a properly sized handle that I can bear down on and it'll stay intact. When I want to file or saw something, I want to use a file with a handle or a handsaw with proper teeth. When I need pliers, it's because I need to clamp down hard on something. That means accurate jaws that won't snap off in my hand when I really bear down on them.
You can't carry all that stuff in your pocket and not even know it's there. Obviously having a nice set of pliers is preferable over the rinky dinky pliers is preferable. On the other hand when you walk out onto the ice for half a mile to go ice fishing and your cousin who is supposed to bring all the equipment goes "I forgot the hemostats" it's with great pleasure you can pull out the Swiss army knife that has really nice set of pliers for pulling out little tiny hooks, especially when it's 10 degrees out. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 06:43 AM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I think you nailed something right there.
I remember a friend who used to talk about his sister, who had a PhD,

"If she were locked out of the house on a winter day next to a pile of
wood, some gasoline and a lighter, she would freeze to death. "

(He had two other, very capable sisters, so it wasn't a sexist thing.)
That's funny. My son's pocket knife is a flip out utility knife/box cutter. A couple of months ago, he used it to slash open my crab leg clusters in a seafood restaurant.

Old 07-05-2019, 05:34 PM

8,927 posts, read 4,632,086 times
If this hadn't been issued by the manufacture, I would have thought someone was joking.

https://fortune.com/2019/07/01/gille...ing-too-sharp/
Gillette Recalls Over 87,000 Razors For Being Too Sharp

Imagine complaining that your razor blade is too sharp LoL.

The real reason is found in the text of the article:
Quote:
a manufacturing error resulted in a misalignment of the blades, which presents a higher risk of cuts.

Old 07-05-2019, 07:37 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
That's quite the spin to put on an item their defect made dangerous.

Old 07-05-2019, 07:46 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
I went to school in the south but live here part of my success here is is being super clear am. I longer there
No I don't carry weapons which is how I stay out of jail

Old 07-05-2019, 08:38 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
I went to school in the south but live here part of my success here is is being super clear am. I longer there
No I don't carry weapons which is how I stay out of jail
It's recommended not to drink quite that much before posting.

Old 07-06-2019, 04:54 AM

8,927 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
It's recommended not to drink quite that much before posting.
I was thinking the same.

Old 07-06-2019, 12:06 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
If this hadn't been issued by the manufacture, I would have thought someone was joking.

https://fortune.com/2019/07/01/gille...ing-too-sharp/
Gillette Recalls Over 87,000 Razors For Being Too Sharp

Imagine complaining that your razor blade is too sharp LoL.

The real reason is found in the text of the article:
I use Feather blades which are extremely sharp, but I never cut myself because my razor blades are the classic double edge blades.

Old 07-06-2019, 04:30 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I use Feather blades which are extremely sharp, but I never cut myself because my razor blades are the classic double edge blades.
Are those mail order? I stocked up years ago when the double edge blades started getting scarce in the stores. I'm about out, but nobody stocks them any more. I have to admit the modern 4-blade razors give a closer, more comfortable shave, as long as I shave often. If I go a week without shaving, they just plug up, or if I clip my beard and shave they are worthless. The old Gillette Adjustable is my go-to for long face hair.

Old 07-07-2019, 12:24 AM

20,027 posts, read 20,826,797 times
I carry a Leatherman at all times.
I have the really good one. Use it every single day do something. Has a multitude of accessories and the blades are razor sharp, and stay razor sharp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness