Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 03:57 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times

Advertisements

With all of these features, the home still costs about the same as normal construction, the builders said. They didn't specify the exact cost, but said the final cost was less than $400,000, including all furnishings.

Little steep for my budget, but not a bad idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 06:50 PM

464 posts, read 286,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Then contractors bags and duct tape. The bags can be used as a rain poncho, sleeping bag, stuffed with grass or leaves to make a mattress, or used to carry water, gathered food, or materials to make your shelter.
Duct tape can be used for anything, and even makes a good firestarter.

Just because it's cheap doesn't mean it has to be bad, but only focusing on cheap can leave you seriously exposed to the elements. As the old saying goes, "Try before you buy".
Make your plastic shelter in the back yard and try it. If it performs well under controlled conditions and you're warm and dry, then you can feel comfortable using it camping. If not, at least you can go back in the house and warm up with no harm done.

By the way, the bivey tent I use cost $49.95, and I've never paid over $100 for a tent. Yard sales are your friend...

Yeah, you know in 12 years of homelessness on and off, maybe 2000 nights camping on the edge of town etc, I actually did take a few things in.

We're missing the point again: $5 is not $100 or even $49...

I KNOW one can get a better store bought tent, again, that is NOT the point!

You show me a structure just as good that you can build as easily and for less.

Now, who is going to say that it's okay, but not as good as a motor home, we need someone to come in and make that point...

SMH.

Thx

Old 06-26-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
It is basically a greenhouse. Plastic is highly flammable & may off-gas.

For more than quick shelter, a safer structure would be a waterproof treated canvas wall tent with a wood floor.

Vinyl tents are flammable, very much so and you don't hear about people burning up in them. (they don't "burn" as much as they melt.)

And "out-gassing," I think we're getting a bit carried away here in our desperate effort to find "something wrong," some "deal-breaker."

Also, being clear, the sun might focus through it like a lens and start a fire!

Thx

Last edited by Thx-1138; 06-26-2019 at 07:17 PM..

Old 06-26-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Thx... I can't speak for the pallet wrap, and of course summer temperatures would not apply, but I understand if one actually used Saran Wrap for a shelter in the colder months with temperatures not exceeding 45 degrees, they guaranty the occupants will stay fresh and resist spoilage for up to 14 days or your money back....

LOL, now THAT is brill, thank you!

See guys, I believe you are not taking all the advantages here into consideration: it will keep you fresh and crisp!

Thx

Old 06-26-2019, 07:17 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Size18 View Post
My husband would love this being the great outdoorsman that he is.

For padding, he tries finding camp sites with a healthy growth of ferns, that way he can gather what he needs to cover the ground under to make for a more comfortable sleep.

When our ancestors were the same as those of chimpanzees, that is how they constructed their sleeping nests.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I just heard about this on the news and looked it up. I think it's the first one in the world. Awesome job at recycling otherwise junk that fills dumps.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...otia-1.5188749

Thank you, very nice!

You know, most plastic is not recycled, so that is indeed a double-edged solution.

Here is something a guy did with plastic water bottles, maybe I'll build one of these to put in Hood Canal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El6AU3riRI8

Mexico was so impressed they offered to make his island an official part of Mexico.

(I'm not sure, but I think he declined, he says one day he will cut his mooring loose and they will float out and become their own country.)

And more power to him, I bet people e-mail him all the time telling him how it "just won't work!".

Thx

Old 06-26-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Size18 View Post
ROFL! What a great little abode that is! I can see it now, the Official Hunting Lodge!

You know, I am considering all the options for my retirement and did ponder setting up a fancy playhouse like that (that one is about $7K) and converting it into a tiny house.

(Then take pics to post on facebook, ("check out my $7K house!") but I have to make sure I get the right angle and proportion to make it look full-size, plant dwarf trees etc . )

Thx

Old 06-26-2019, 08:19 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,305,335 times
I have two greenhouse domes covered in clear poly on my property. Even on a 60 degree sunny day they can severely overheat if not extremely ventilated. Try to seal them up real tight and heat them results in even more condensation, which can't be underestimated. The dome shape will carry most of the condensation to the edges but plenty still falls in the middle. The only way to cut back on the condensation is to ventilate it and open it up so much that it won't be much different than sleeping outside at night, or have two layers of plastic with an air gap in the middle, and then there's still condensation.

A better super cheap shelter solution would be to find a solid piece of tarp or old clear poly from the dump, a solid piece will leak less than a bunch of saran wrap. A shiny new tarp is all of $10, which you would probably spend on saran wrap anyways. Or reflective insulation is also really cheap.

Then once the dome is covered with a waterproof layer, and since it's a dome and strong, turn it into a brush shelter. Cover it with branches, twigs, moss, clay, etc. Lots of natives used dome shaped structures covered in natural materials built for $0.

And domes can be cheap and "easy" to build. But also can be labor intensive to make strong, and covering them properly can be even more labor intensive. I have 8 domes on my property that I've built myself, the largest being a 24 foot tall 48 foot diameter dome.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I have two greenhouse domes covered in clear poly on my property. Even on a 60 degree sunny day they can severely overheat if not extremely ventilated. Try to seal them up real tight and heat them results in even more condensation, which can't be underestimated. The dome shape will carry most of the condensation to the edges but plenty still falls in the middle. The only way to cut back on the condensation is to ventilate it and open it up so much that it won't be much different than sleeping outside at night, or have two layers of plastic with an air gap in the middle, and then there's still condensation.

A better super cheap shelter solution would be to find a solid piece of tarp or old clear poly from the dump, a solid piece will leak less than a bunch of saran wrap. A shiny new tarp is all of $10, which you would probably spend on saran wrap anyways. Or reflective insulation is also really cheap.

Then once the dome is covered with a waterproof layer, and since it's a dome and strong, turn it into a brush shelter. Cover it with branches, twigs, moss, clay, etc. Lots of natives used dome shaped structures covered in natural materials built for $0.

And domes can be cheap and "easy" to build. But also can be labor intensive to make strong, and covering them properly can be even more labor intensive. I have 8 domes on my property that I've built myself, the largest being a 24 foot tall 48 foot diameter dome.

Good tips, thank you!

Did you guys see him put that saran wrap kayak in the dome? That dome is much larger than it looks in the pics, I reckon about 8 feet.

That saran wrap makes it nice and tight, "rigid," just a tarp isn't going to do that, maybe a combination of less saran wrap and a tarp would be best or much better.

And it has no floor and has gaps at the bottom, a smoke hole in the center would be in order I'm sure.

He said he has had one set up for three years.

But I don't believe these are made to be "air tight" or "hermetically sealed," he has a four foot door in it.

Yes, I'd like to build one of natural materials and cover it with moss. (out in the forest guys, just a little emergency shelter, not a "home.")

("You can't build a house out of moss Thx, you'd never get a per-mit!")

(And hmm... perhaps we have a very good solar still here in the saran wrap one as well...)

Thx

Last edited by Thx-1138; 06-26-2019 at 08:47 PM..

Old 06-27-2019, 03:57 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thx-1138 View Post
Those sound interesting, perhaps you can find a pic?

I've looked for one like it but can never find a good replacement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness