Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 05:07 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,086,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterkIjon View Post
Fresh vs how badly it got hit

After a semi hits a deer it might still be "fresh" but smashed all to heck with internal bleeding all over.
Not a problem for a dog.

Can be fed on the bone, or ground up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 05:08 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Around here, some people are advertising asking for "hunter scraps" and freezer burned meat for dogs.

On road kill, depends on the animal. Deer yes, armadillos no, skunks no, meth heads no. Squirrels are not worth the effort. In a SHTF situation, roadkill will be hard to find. Look on youtube for the "five pounds of possum" song.

Old 08-08-2019, 05:21 PM

71 posts, read 69,513 times
During the Spring and Summer months in Central New Hampshire the road kill is quite high. It's very common to see deer, turkey, raccoon, and an occasional moose (with damaged motor vehicle) along the side of the highway. I suspect that Department of Fish & Game officers handle the disposal of the sizable animals that could be used for meat? (Meth Heads are left along the road side for the crows and turkey vultures. )

Old 08-08-2019, 05:23 PM

151 posts, read 106,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Not a problem for a dog.

Can be fed on the bone, or ground up.
I agree.

The post I quoted from you, I was referring to......." people take them home to butcher for people to eat

Old 08-08-2019, 05:28 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,249,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Around here, some people are advertising asking for "hunter scraps" and freezer burned meat for dogs.
On "Life Below Zero" the dogs get the stuff that's left over after the butcher their kills.
The pooches get very excited when they're about to get a yummy bowl of offal.

Don't see how fresh roadkill is much different.

Old 08-08-2019, 06:17 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,575,024 times
Our dogs always get leftovers from the game we take. Green bones are a particular favorite as are the parts that make most people turn 4 shades of green. (Liver for instance).

Dogs love roadkill, the stinkier the better, and what they don't eat, they'll roll in for that oh so unforgettable aroma.
One side effect of feeding your dog raw deer, they better be outside dogs because the gas attacks should be outlawed by the Geneva convention as cruel and unusual.

Old 08-08-2019, 06:27 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,086,413 times
Quote:
I agree.

The post I quoted from you, I was referring to......." people take them home to butcher for people to eat

Ah - yeah - they do. And don't seem to worry a lot about it... I guess they can separate out the parts that are too damaged. Around here, people will post about freshly hit deer on local homesteading facebook pages, and lots of people scramble to get there first to pick it up.

Old 08-09-2019, 12:49 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times
We've gotten the occasional road killed feral pig. But, it's usually within about ten to fifteen minutes from being hit, so it's very fresh and not left laying about.

There's usually a lot of contusions at the impact site, the meat there is more blood and bruise than anything else, not that the dog cares. He gets those areas, the rest of it is cut into roasts and chops and sausage for us. All depends on the size of the pig and how fresh it is. If you can get it warm enough to drain the blood, you'll get a decent edible carcass. If it's cooled off enough that the blood has congealed and can't be drained, then most of it is dog food.

Some friends in Alaska were telling me that they sign up on a list to be called when there's roadkill. Although they have moose and other much bigger critters to deal with than a feral pig.

Old 08-09-2019, 01:05 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,302,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post

Some friends in Alaska were telling me that they sign up on a list to be called when there's roadkill.
The road kill list is super popular in Alaska and unless it's really exceptionally bad, none of it is going to the dogs, it's planned for human consumption . People hit moose all the time up here, but there is also a lot of people on the roadkill list. If you can't come get the moose right away when they call you, you go to the bottom of the list. Needless to say, there is never any road kill along the side of the road in Alaska for very long.

There's usually plenty of salvageable meat on roadkill. I'd eat personally eat it for myself and save the nasty scraps with the gravel and hair in it for my dog. Can't wait till I get called for my turn again

Silly modern American logic: Processed animal farm meat loaded with antibiotics and hormones raised in crowded unsanitary conditions is delicious as long as the animal gets a bullet in the head or electrocuted to death first, but if a vehicle is involved in a healthy wild game animals death it's super gross and unedible!

Old 08-09-2019, 02:27 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
Quote:
I agree.

I have a friend whose husband kept them fed every winter by bringing home roadkill deer to eat. He had the skills to butcher it and they had a big deep freeze. I think they also made venison jerky and sausage. I thought it was gross at first, but really it makes sense to use what would otherwise become garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness