Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 04:18 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,936,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Those things SUCK...........I gave one to a kid that locked his keys in his car. He couldn't break the window to get into his own car in a parking lot........nevermind in a car that is sinking in a dark pond or some other perilous situation.

Good marketing for something that will likely let you down when you really need it.
Really? Dang it. Now I'm wondering if the seatbelt cutter works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 05:23 PM

408 posts, read 259,690 times
I carry three medium size tool box size containers. One has first aid stuff, the next one has tools, and the last one is my cold weather tool box. I can mix and match what I may need depending on the trip and the time of year. Also, they can be arranged around our luggage. Throw in a small case of water and we are prepared for most emergencies.

Don't worry about having the perfect kit, you can add and subtract stuff later. Of course, your location will dictate some of the stuff you will carry.

Old 09-17-2019, 05:45 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Knives? Guns? Duct tape? Tarps and trash bags?

Are y'all burying bodies?

The poop bucket? Eww, just no.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:17 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,949,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Knives? Guns? Duct tape? Tarps and trash bags?

Are y'all burying bodies?

The poop bucket? Eww, just no.

Oh great, along with the rope, ax, duck tape and shovel, I have a box of latex gloves. I swear I am not, nor have I ever been, a serial killer. Yet...

Also regarding duck tape, the reason everyone carries it, I mean besides for trying up hostages... is that it works to seal hoses, holds small cuts together, or dressings on major wounds over gauze, mends shoes, I think the Mythbusters made fan belts out of it even.

BTW it is DUCK tape, not duct tape. It got confused when ac guys started using it. I read the whole history. LOL

Old 09-18-2019, 12:24 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,949,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Those things SUCK...........I gave one to a kid that locked his keys in his car. He couldn't break the window to get into his own car in a parking lot........nevermind in a car that is sinking in a dark pond or some other perilous situation.

Good marketing for something that will likely let you down when you really need it.
I have an old flip open knife in the console that has a hard point and seat belt cutter, seems like it would work, but I have not tried it. Maybe I'll go test it tonight on the jerk neighbor's car...

Doesn't matter though, I carry a guarantied window buster... 9mm Glock. If the car is sinking into the abyss I'm probably going to take the easy way out.

Old 09-18-2019, 01:36 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post

BTW it is DUCK tape, not duct tape. It got confused when ac guys started using it. I read the whole history. LOL
Actually, the brand is duck tape but it is duct tape.

https://www.target.com/p/color-duck-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 09-18-2019, 07:35 PM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
LOL! This is going to be one of the most fun mod actions I have done. Please... start a new thread on duck/duct tape. It deserves it, people will always be asking, and I have my popcorn all ready to sit and watch the debate on the name. Keep it civil, but playful banter can spice up the thread.

Old 09-19-2019, 07:31 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
We need more information.

Old 09-19-2019, 07:43 PM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
We need more information.
Number 5? Is that you?

Information on what?

Old 09-19-2019, 09:32 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,900,190 times
"If you’ve been rolling your eyes at people who say “duck tape” adhesive, prepare some apologies. The durable cloth-backed tape first appeared during World War II, when Johnson & Johnson developed an olive drab version as a handy way for American soldiers to waterproof their ammo cans. According to the company, soldiers dubbed the product “duck tape” because it forced moisture to flee “like water off a duck’s back.”

Troops realized that the tape was good for more than just keeping their powder dry, and after the war, it caught on as an easy and effective way to seal, among other things, heating ducts. Johnson & Johnson even began offering a silver version of the tape specifically for this purpose, giving rise to “duct tape.”

So which is correct? “Duck tape” has the chronological upper hand, but “duct tape” is a more accurate description of the product’s historical use. To make things even more complicated, though, it's no longer used to seal ducts! You could always just hedge your bets the way the leading manufacturer does when it bills itself as “Duck brand duct tape.”"

Building code requires metal tape likes this to be used on duct work:

https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Prof...language=en_US

The other stuff that we call duck or duct tape the name is irrelevant, it's not allowed to be used on ducts or ducks. At least I think putting it on ducks would be wrong.

So this is one where we can stop bickering... regardless of which side you are on... YOU ARE BOTH RIGHT. (So long as you don't try to use duct/duck tape on ducts, because the inspector will say you are WRONG)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness