Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 02:11 PM

409 posts, read 872,539 times

Advertisements

Hello All.

I am working on an emergency kit for my automobile. What items should I include the kit?

The kit would be designed for use over short period of time. Longer emergencies would be addressed through bug out kits in the house. This kits would be used for the period of time when I would be in the automobile during an emergency and need to get home or other place of safety.

I plan on including water, but how much should it be and how should it be packaged. It has been suggested to me I keep one bottle of water in the kit and a gallon jug of water in the trunk so I can replenish the water as need arises.

Some other items I will put in the kit will be energy bars, a blanket, a flashlight and batteries, clothes (Particularly a pair of socks).

What items will I definitely need to include in the kit and is there a particular type of bag or equipment I should use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 02:28 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,649,221 times
I think you are looking at the idea of the "Get Home Bag"

Old 09-15-2019, 02:38 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
A heavy, high-quality breaker bar with an appropriate socket and extension can save the day if a person gets a flat in the back country. My set-up is 1" drive.

I always keep at least ten gallons of water in correct and durable containers. A satellite phone and a complete first-aid kit are very important. The latter requires Red Cross training courses.

Weapons should include both heavy handguns and tiny easily concealed pistols and revolvers.

Small Zeiss monoculars are excellent. They're normally 8x or 10x.

Don't forget duct tape and a fire extinguisher. Some wrenches, screwdrivers, scissors, and a heavy knife can work wonders.

Winter clothing along with comfortable footwear are obvious.

Think of all of the things you've ever wished you had brought, then add them.

Old 09-15-2019, 02:53 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,965,100 times
use plastic bottles for water if there are freezing temperatures.
we had some metal water bottles (used to call them canteens)
that froze and split overnight.

normally (not emergencies) we find we use these things a lot:
garbage bags, paper towels, umbrellas, Purell (?), and duct tape.

what we have used in actual emergencies are:
tire repair kit, tire inflator, disposable lighter, and tow rope.

what we have never used in any emergency (but carry anyway):
shotgun, machete, tarp, $300 cash, and regular rope.

there is a lot more to consider, however all of the above
goes everywhere in our get-home backpacks.

Old 09-15-2019, 03:22 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
A heavy, high-quality breaker bar with an appropriate socket and extension can save the day if a person gets a flat in the back country. My set-up is 1" drive.

I always keep at least ten gallons of water in correct and durable containers. A satellite phone and a complete first-aid kit are very important. The latter requires Red Cross training courses.

Weapons should include both heavy handguns and tiny easily concealed pistols and revolvers.

Small Zeiss monoculars are excellent. They're normally 8x or 10x.

Don't forget duct tape and a fire extinguisher. Some wrenches, screwdrivers, scissors, and a heavy knife can work wonders.

Winter clothing along with comfortable footwear are obvious.

Think of all of the things you've ever wished you had brought, then add them.
Here is a 3/4" ratchet/breaker bar from Harbor Freight for about $20. A short piece of 1&1/2" iron pipe can slip over the handle and give the user even more torque. The reason that we suggest these heavy duty breakers bars or ratchets is because many mechanics over torque our lug nuts when they change our tires. So, if you get a flat tire on the road and you have to use the tools provided with the vehicle, you're out of luck and you cannot get your lug nuts loose. Like you say Happy in Wyoming; don't forget to get the right size socket with your heavy duty breaker bar.

Old 09-15-2019, 05:10 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
I would add a 12 volt jump pack to jump the battery. Cables will work, but not unless somebody nesrby is willing to give you a boost. If there are no other vehicles around, you're sorta out of luck. The new battery packs are small and light, with lithium bstteries.

Also consider fluids - oil, coolant, and a small 2-1/2 gallon can of gas. The breaker bar is a great ides, but only if you have a good spare, so check that out, too.

I emphasize this stuff because you are far more likely to have a vehicle issue than a SHTF event, and having your car or truck out of commission can really suck. You already know what to include for yourself - food, water, a blanket, extra socks, gloves, a rain poncho, a flashlight.

Get one of those USB battery packs, charge it up, and keep it in the glove box in case your phone is low on power. Not being able to call for help can also suck.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:45 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
I was once going to build up a "winter emergency kit" as suggested by the state. then I looked at my PT Cruiser convertible and thought "Where am I supposed to put all this stuff, and still have room to go get groceries?"

Even in my Jeep Wrangler if I keep all the "STUFF" they recommend there won't be much room for anything else.

However, in my long bed 3/4 ton pickup NO PROBLEM!

Long ago I decided the possibility of needing the stuff was very small, and I quit worrying about it. I will die someday. If it is by freezing to death in a stalled vehicle stuck in a snowdrift, so be it.

Old 09-15-2019, 09:23 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,902,551 times
You didn't give any information about your location. I live on a rural island in the tropics. The stuff I keep in my vehicle is probably vastly different than somebody that primarily lives/commutes in an inner city. I keep a sharp knife in my car because I've had several near-collisions with wildlife. Eventually I'll hit something and I'll need a method to put it down humanely. That's a real-life item I need in my car regardless if TSHTF but it's something I'm going to want if TSHTF.

I would focus on such "dual use" items first, and add the rest later.

Old 09-15-2019, 09:48 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
use plastic bottles for water if there are freezing temperatures.
we had some metal water bottles (used to call them canteens)
that froze and split overnight.

normally (not emergencies) we find we use these things a lot:
garbage bags, paper towels, umbrellas, Purell (?), and duct tape.

what we have used in actual emergencies are:
tire repair kit, tire inflator, disposable lighter, and tow rope.

what we have never used in any emergency (but carry anyway):
shotgun, machete, tarp, $300 cash, and regular rope.

there is a lot more to consider, however all of the above
goes everywhere in our get-home backpacks.

Always keep a roll of duct tape in the trunk! And something to cut it with

Old 09-16-2019, 09:03 AM

3,057 posts, read 2,034,410 times
There are many levels of prep and decisions to make.

As earlier stated it depends on where you live, what climate, what time of year, whether you are rural or small town, etc.

5 mile small town trips are 95% of my life so I keep a first aid kit that will help until paramedics come due to my 911 call. My car was broadsided by large truck towing large cargo trailer last month, no injuries and my first call was to spouse so he could call people (insurance, car repair) and I was free to talk to cops. If I had been injured my first call if conscious would be 911, then spouse.

If your trips are farther afield, even in urban settings more safety prep is needed. Stranger-danger is real and I carry a gun when going farther out of town than 1 hour. Just put yourself mentally in bad situations and think "what would I want to have with me if SHTF" even on level of a flat tire. AAA has disappointed us multiple times when we really needed help.

Next most important is a safety hammer next to driver in case trapped inside car. People drown when windows up and not able to escape via door. I just purchased an enhanced safety hammer which has a solar flashlight/compass and couple other tools attached. Backup.

A vacation or longer trip I'd add water and power bars. We use interstates and don't travel after dark and live in well-populated Florida. Some areas of northern Florida however have few amenities and support.

Calling for help is great but it cannot replace being aware and prepared to get yourself out with knowledge of how to change a tire, plug a flat.

Should you carry EVERYTHING in your car for an apocalyptic SHTF? Start with essentials and add-on as possible. Auto accidents, flat tires and dead battery are much more likely. Once you get into the self-sufficient mindset you will think of other possible scenarios to prep for. You can have several bags at home and pack them as needed.

Please remember to lock guns away from children including teens. Don't create bad situations in an effort to protect yourself and your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness