Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 04:54 PM

2,282 posts, read 1,582,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
That link also predicted the spread of mosquito-borne disease. There is at least one pharmaceutical company working on a vaccination for Dengue fever. I do not know about the West Nile virus; but there is a very good chance that in the next 80 years there will be an immunization or we will have found a way to wipe out those mosquitoes that carry the disease.

So, all I am saying is; don't move yet!

I live in Northeast PA and many complain about cloudy or rainy days. I look at what is happening in Australia, Southern California, NM/AZ/TX/FL and I think to myself that I am happy with the cloudy, rainy, days!
Beautiful area. I remember going to Stroudsburg from Jersey to our work HQ. Southern California has been getting drenched with rains the last 2 years. That drought is long gone. Sustainability..pffft!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2020, 11:33 PM

671 posts, read 854,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
I figure the northern tip of Michigan is one of the better places to survive, since you avoid most of the major hazards -- hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, tsunamis, brush fires, and volcanoes. There's no major cities, so you're probably decently okay with a nuclear strike. It doesn't look too bad from a sustainability perspective either, and there's plenty of freshwater nearby. Am I right?
blizzards?

Old 01-12-2020, 09:38 AM

10,552 posts, read 7,750,499 times
I feel their arguments are well conceived and supported. Hard to find fault with this but I see there always have to be one or two.

Old 01-13-2020, 11:32 PM

527 posts, read 422,662 times
North is bad area for survival, hard to produce enough food... plus climate is so horrible with long cold winters and bad (hot humid) American summers and mosquitoes that if you do survive you sure will feel like you better did not.
I'd head to a nice climate and land place in South America...while yanks exterminate each other here over their wannabe global greed empire plans haha.

Last edited by opossum1; 01-13-2020 at 11:41 PM..

Old 01-14-2020, 06:38 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
Beautiful area. I remember going to Stroudsburg from Jersey to our work HQ. Southern California has been getting drenched with rains the last 2 years. That drought is long gone. Sustainability..pffft!!
First, thank you!

As far as California getting drenched for the last 2 years and the drought is long gone: It isn't totally gone according to this map: https://www.fire.ca.gov/incidents/2019/. Currently you still have the Cave fire burning which is almost out; but has burned for 50 days.

I used to drive to Southern California once a week as a long distance truck driver. Between the smog, the smoke from the fires, and the dust from off road vehicles; I was not jealous. Even if you have been getting ample rain the last two years; that only makes the vegetation grow so it will pose problems when the next hot, windy, dry spell occurs. There is some beautiful scenery; but you do have your problems. For now I am happy where I am at!

Old 01-14-2020, 08:36 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opossum1 View Post
North is bad area for survival, hard to produce enough food...
I am an organic Farmer in rural Maine. Our farm is off-grid [on solar-power].

There is a learning curve to producing food here, but once you have gotten through that learning curve farming is not all that difficult.

Southerners seem to be afraid of winter which keeps land prices low, and the local culture hates big bureaucracies which keeps our taxes pretty low.

Maine is the oldest state, with the highest percentage of retirees. People who retire early and want to homestead out in dense forest, they come here [I did].

Quote:
... plus climate is so horrible with long cold winters and bad (hot humid) American summers and mosquitoes that if you do survive you sure will feel like you better did not.
I'd head to a nice climate and land place in South America...while yanks exterminate each other here over their wannabe global greed empire plans haha.
Dont let your prejudices control you.

Old 01-14-2020, 10:14 AM

2,282 posts, read 1,582,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
First, thank you!

As far as California getting drenched for the last 2 years and the drought is long gone: It isn't totally gone according to this map: https://www.fire.ca.gov/incidents/2019/. Currently you still have the Cave fire burning which is almost out; but has burned for 50 days.

I used to drive to Southern California once a week as a long distance truck driver. Between the smog, the smoke from the fires, and the dust from off road vehicles; I was not jealous. Even if you have been getting ample rain the last two years; that only makes the vegetation grow so it will pose problems when the next hot, windy, dry spell occurs. There is some beautiful scenery; but you do have your problems. For now I am happy where I am at!
I visit there now during some holidays and try to keep up on the local news a bit. So, "you" no longer applies to me. I deserve a pat on the back. Last time I was there, the usual homeless outside in Starbucks parking lot. I heard the increase in fires is also due to reduced hours/manpower in their forestry division. it's not all global warming. So, literally nobody is removing the dead dry trees & shrubs that cause brush fires. Thanks to Gavin. This year & last my relatives said they have had colder winters.

Old 01-14-2020, 11:37 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
I visit there now during some holidays and try to keep up on the local news a bit. So, "you" no longer applies to me. I deserve a pat on the back. Last time I was there, the usual homeless outside in Starbucks parking lot. I heard the increase in fires is also due to reduced hours/manpower in their forestry division. it's not all global warming. So, literally nobody is removing the dead dry trees & shrubs that cause brush fires. Thanks to Gavin. This year & last my relatives said they have had colder winters.
Regardless if one believes in global warming or not; historically nature has cycles - some hot and some cold. One big game changer, that humans are responsible for, are invasive pest: https://www.theguardian.com/environm...risis-resource. With more dead wood (fuel) major fires can happen anyplace. If one thinks they are 'safe' in the deep woods; that might not be the case. Just look at Australia today. With the right conditions and more fuel; fires could happen anywhere.

On my five acre property, in just the last year, I have lost about 40 large Ash trees to the emerald Ash borer. Previously I lost 14 hemlocks to the wooly adelgids and 9 apple and pear trees to the fire blight. I do not know how many maple trees because the gypsy moths hit our area several times. My county is now quarantined for the lantern flies (which I have not seen so far, but have seen one mile away). And we are keeping our eyes open for the Asian long horned beetle.

I have been busy the last year just giving away my firewood because I do not want that much dead wood close to my house. For survivalist that live in the woods; this can be a major problem. Even if one has a underground bunker; how do you ensure that your air intake is not pumping in scorching hot air from the fires burning around you?

Old 01-15-2020, 03:03 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,867,350 times
Look im not going to bash the original poster article.

I think it's wise to research as many opinions as possible and gather as much information as possible.

Sooner or later you start running into contradictory information so you have to start weighting one argument or idea over another.

It's never a bad idea to question what you think you know or consider another idea.

Life is full of compromises there is no perfect location. You have to make an informed decision and hope you're right.

I've said in the past I think the actual best prepper region for the most outcomes is northern CA to southern OR west of I-5 to the coast. It's perfect, it's safe from civil unrest, upwind of all nuclear targets, low population density, mild climate, abundant resources etc... Except, you're at real major risk of major earthquakes and possibly volcano activity.

You can perform an analysis of any location and at best your location will be perfect for 75% of outcomes.

There is just too much future information we don't know to make a perfect decision on the best location.

Old 01-15-2020, 03:41 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,238,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Well, sorry I bothered you with it. I didn't realize it was 6 years old at the time. Sorry nothing here helped you. I'll refund all your money...

Here's a pdf link from the article for others who want to read more "garbage."

http://energyskeptic.com/wp-content/...and-Place1.pdf
Hey OP, my apologies for a knee-jerk response to a sketchy website. The article you linked to has actual text and figure titles to tell me what I'm looking at; and while I don't have access to the published version, this preview was helpful. I do still think it's dated, perhaps to the extent that the utility is lost. They do have newer publications to check out (though I haven't done that yet).

That said, I think it desperately needs an update. The IPCC has changed A LOT since '07, and this study is a bit too qualitative for my tastes. I would be interested in a review using models to calculate ecosystem services and economic impact, such as InVEST by the Natural Capital Project (which has also changed a lot over the last decade). There has been an explosion of available data over the last 3-5 years (that seems to be continuing exponentially, for better and for worse)... I would be interested to see what they would find with a more quantitative approach using newer data. It might be out there, but I haven't looked recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness