Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 03:47 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
if i was convinced it was Truly TSHTF for the foreseeable future: canned Dog Food.
it's complete with the necessary vitamins, and would taste better as time went on.

Good chance there will still be some left too. Everyone else will be fighting over the canned chili and you can really load up. Make ya feel a bit like Mad Max too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2020, 06:21 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,204,029 times
You have to remember people.. you DON'T HAVE ANYTHING ELSE TO MIX UP SOMETHING WITH-- no fresh anything or anything that has to be refrigerated----consider its the end of the world --WAR......be glad you have a can opener.... and maybe a spoon 1 CAN of anything, but as many as you want...thats all

The original poster said: You're at costco and can grab a case of *ONE* thing (but as many cases as you want). What do you grab?

Last edited by FlaLadyB; 02-11-2020 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 02-11-2020, 07:35 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
I cheated and looked at the nutritional values of various foods, so I’ll choose canned salmon. It’s high in protein, fat, vitamins & minerals, plus calories. Otherwise, I’d go with natural peanut butter. Less burn out potential. It’s a camping must-have.

Old 02-12-2020, 01:27 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Are you allowed to answer with anything other than SPAM, Terracore? It's Puna, after all! Wouldn't you need Spam musubi during a SHTF situation? But in a SHTF or TEOTWAWNKI situation are you gonna have time to get to Costco and back? It's on the other side of the island and everyone else (if there's truly a panic) will have already emptied the shelves. Although, usually, that's mostly Spam, rice and toilet paper that's cleared out first.

For me, though, I'd stock up on tuna fish. I like those big cans of tuna from Costco since there's bigger chunks of tuna in them than the small cans.

Although the chili, beef stew and other sorta meals in cans sound tasty, too. But the tuna fish may be more versatile. Tuna fish or chicken will go in salad and you'll always have greens in Puna if you've got the right kind of yard.

Have you tried making sausage during avocado or guava season? We get pigs with fat on them during avo season and sweeter pigs during guava season. Although a friend hit a pig last week, ran off the road, rolled and went down a ravine and ended up in a banana patch. She didn't even get to keep the pig although since her car was totaled she had other things to do than to sort out a dead pig.

Old 02-13-2020, 04:34 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,906,711 times
Funny you should mention that Hotcatz...

This year has been a bumper year for the feral pigs. Much of our property used to be a commercial guava orchard with over 700 trees and one of our neighbors has a derelict mac nut farm. We get more than our share of feral pigs, chickens, and even some pheasants. The pigs get a good amount of fatty mac nuts and sweet guava. So far in the last few months we've trapped and butchered 5 pigs. The first one was a plump young (but large for age) sow that had never been pregnant. We had never made sausage before but made bratwurst and breakfast sausage out of her. We did add a little commercial pork fat but not much. Our freezer is completely full in fact we had to turn on the backup freezer. We have a couple of turkeys to butcher so we'll be running two freezers for awhile.

Old 03-01-2020, 09:55 AM

193 posts, read 98,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
From experience- condensed milk has extremely short shelf life. You don't want to push on the expiration dates. By comparison there are canned products like Keystone meats that don't even have expiration dates on them. The condensed milk does turn brown and change smell/flavor letting you know its bad though.
I know someone who received a can of condensed milk from her local food pantry. The expiration date was 14 years old! The woman who gave it to her said it was still good, just discolored. She said they had used another can of it to make cookies which they then handed out to the senior citizens.

Old 03-01-2020, 06:08 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,880,867 times
I love Spam cooked any way , broiled, fried, grilled over a camp fire ,but never ever boiled.

Old 03-01-2020, 06:18 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,906,711 times
You haven't lived until enjoying a piping hot cup of Spam tea!

Old 03-19-2020, 10:36 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times
I would have a can of chicken soup.

Old 03-19-2020, 01:33 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,350,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
...could only buy/store ONE canned good, what would it be?

Christmas Tinner: Christmas Tinner

"...It's an entire Christmas Day meal, from morning to night, conveniently layered into one tin:

Layer one – Scrambled egg and bacon
Layer two – Two mince pies
Layer three – Turkey and potatoes
Layer four – Gravy
Layer five – Bread sauce
Layer six – Cranberry sauce
Layer seven – Brussel sprouts with stuffing – or broccoli with stuffing
Layer eight – Roast carrots and parsnips
Layer nine – Christmas pudding..."

A joke, but someone could have made a bundle if it wasn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness