Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2020, 02:24 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,276,819 times

Advertisements

Here we go again. Does anyone think this will work? I don't think the Feds would be too happy!!!

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...seek-escape-b/

Last edited by Countrysue; 02-22-2020 at 02:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2020, 03:06 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,256,608 times
The NY solution adds yet another level of government. So on Long Island a homeowner could have

State - Region - County - Town - Village

Or 5 levels of government.

Old 02-22-2020, 05:23 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,693,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post
Here we go again. Does anyone think this will work? I don't think the Feds would be too happy!!!

That's how you destroy the United States. Feed the separatist movement. Putin is having good success with the EU too. We're at war, and Americans are too dumb to notice.

Old 02-23-2020, 03:54 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,609,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrysue View Post

It would definitely work if we split the country just as Jefferson envisioned. We could call it the Confederate States of America. They won't dare to invade us because we won't have gun control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uRZYNcYR-w

Old 02-23-2020, 08:10 AM

7,263 posts, read 5,143,446 times
It's an unclear point of constitutional law whether the states, which have entered into the federation willingly, also have the right to leave willingly....But more to the point...Do we sensible members of the Union have the right to kick out CA, NY, MA ….?

I declared my 40 acres an independent country. Now, if I leave my property, I'm an illegal immigrant. Can I turn myself in and become eligible for free healthcare, an Obama phone, legal aid & immunity from criminal prosecution, etc etc?

Old 02-23-2020, 08:41 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,586,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
It's an unclear point of constitutional law whether the states, which have entered into the federation willingly, also have the right to leave willingly....But more to the point...Do we sensible members of the Union have the right to kick out CA, NY, MA ….?

I declared my 40 acres an independent country. Now, if I leave my property, I'm an illegal immigrant. Can I turn myself in and become eligible for free healthcare, an Obama phone, legal aid & immunity from criminal prosecution, etc etc?
The state's aren't trying to leave the union, the citizens that aren't being represented wish to create new state's.
Why not? There's a long history of precedent for this.

The original 13 colonies at one time claimed land by extending their borders to the Mississippi River, but look at all the states that are there now.

Washington, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming were part of the Oregon territory, later split and Montana and Idaho were the Idaho territory until split again in the 1860s.

Dakota territory split into North and South Dakota.

Utah at one time claimed area that became Nevada, Arizona, Colorado and New Mexico, California and parts of Wyoming and Oregon. Just Google Deseret.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...OZFp5kV-zZdQ&s

Perhaps this hasn't been done by fully established state's since the West Virginia split with Virginia, but it does establish precedent and since most of these examples with the exception of Illinois/Chicago would be joining established state's, really you're just moving borders not secession.

I think they could make the case and in a referendum of the counties that want to leave approve the move by vote, it could happen.

Steve state of Jefferson that would have split off from California had a referendum scheduled in 1942, but it didn't take place because of Pearl Harbor on December 7.

I think it could happen if the citizens of those areas want it bad enough.

Old 02-23-2020, 03:45 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,492,924 times
This country is becoming a tinderbox of partisan politics, into!erance, and racial divide. In particular, hatred of white Christian males has gotten way out of hand. Add this to the political trend toward disarmament of the law-abiding, and it's no mystery why secession movements spring up from time to time. Most of them will fizzle and go nowhere.

However, many conservatives are more seriously considering self-isolationist communities. While still part of a state and definitely part of the US, they plan to restrict entry to the community to those who are fully vetted politically, philosphically, and sometimes financially. The idea is to band with like-minded people to promote common interests. Among those who see a threat to Western Civilization, there is a strong desire for a separate lifestyle where their own values and ethics would be placed above those of the popular American culture.

Many people are unaware of these separatist movements. Perhaps because they are secretive and not looking to officially secede from anything, they go undetected and unreported. They shun publicity. But their impact could be far more significant than the clamoring masses that want to divide states and countries. After all, principles and beliefs are far stronger than political lines drawn on a map.

Old 02-23-2020, 04:33 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,438,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post

Sure, then receive your care, and retreat back to your plot where you never had an extradition agreement. BASE!

Old 02-25-2020, 05:42 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,941,631 times
Let's say we allow five new states to form (Inland Calif., upstate NY, lower Illinois, eastern Oregon, etc.). They would each get two Senators and several Congressional Representatives, plus Electors. That's effectively adding ten Republican Senators and dozens of new Republican reps. The GOP should be totally in favor of this plan. The only gotcha is if the Democrats catch on to the idea and try to split California into eight new mini-states along the coast, each of them super-liberal.

Old 02-25-2020, 07:16 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,693,981 times
The State of Jefferson was proposed in the early '40s, but the idea was dropped when the Japs bombed Pearl Harbor. It would have included Southern Oregon and Northern California. I don't know what they wanted to do with SE Oregon. Give it to Nevada, probably.

SOU still hosts Jefferson Public Radio. https://www.ijpr.org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness