Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 01:59 PM

16,860 posts, read 10,496,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
CDC is warning to prepare for disruptions.

I was at Walmart yesterday and noticed a lot of stuff was not stocked, things like deoderant, toilet paper. I noticed in sporting goods flashlights and day packs were on the thin side. Could just be local, or perhaps chinese product deliveries are slowing.

I think we are going to increase our long life staples like tuna fish, pasta, boxed milk, etc. We normally keep about a month worth in the pantry.
Also about 6 weeks freeze dried long term food, think I might add another two weeks worth. Those are full diet figures, if we went to half rations we could probably button up for 6 months. Then we might have to put the neighbors on the menu...

https://abcnews.go.com/International...ry?id=69190968
I’m wondering how long will be too long to wait to greatly increase supplies vs. wasting money on a virus that might fizzle out as tge weather warms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2020, 02:00 PM

16,860 posts, read 10,496,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so how many days worth of food do you guys have stored?
Not a whole lot. 2 weeks maybe. 3 if stretched.

Old 02-26-2020, 02:26 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,584,595 times
CDC announced yesterday that people should prepare for an interruption in services. It's only a matter of time.

I'm rural, and we could live for three months on what's in the pantry. That's just part of rural living. I should probably do a Costco toilet paper run.

I hit Walgreens yesterday for Sambucol, dextromethorphan, and guaifenesin. The Sambucol was buy one get the second half price. I have plenty of aspirin, which is still the best febrifuge on the market, and two bottles of Drambuie, which may be the tastiest cough syrup ever invented. My wife has weak lungs, and needs to stock up on inhalers, but not yet.

I picked up a discarded oxygen concentrator, and it seems to work. The output makes a match burn really bright. I only have one canela, so need at least one more. If the hospital is jammed, home oxygen might be a life saver.

I saw this coming six weeks ago, and ordered 50 n95 masks. If I cut town trips to once a week, that's a year's supply. I also have two HEPA filtered respirators and a stack of HEPA filters for them, a case of sanitizing wipes, several bottles of 70% isopropyl alcohol, and several bottles of peroxide. I'll wait to pick up bleach because sodium hypochlorite has a lousy shelf life.

The kitchen herb garden this spring is going to be heavy on expectorants and decongestants.

Old 02-26-2020, 03:29 PM

11,370 posts, read 24,342,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
You're fortunate to have both deer and wild boar.
Yes, the scourge of the rural south has its benefits. I’m not that keen on venison, but it’s a good source of protein and easy to prepare. We might have to walk a few miles to get to the hogs, but I know where to find them.

I really doubt things will get too bad, but I did order a new pair of work boots in case we can’t buy them cheaply for awhile.

Old 02-26-2020, 03:45 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,725,737 times
Public utilities didn't go off in China. There's no way they're going off here. Some 80 percent of those infected don't get very sick. Many don't even have symptoms, so lots of critical workers will stay on the job. I don't think you need to worry about water, gas, electric going off. Oil delivery? Maybe, if it's a very small company and both their delivery guys get sick. Probably a good idea to call to fill the tanks now if you're on oil or propane.

The reason to stock up now, is that you don't want to have to go out, so that you won't get the virus and bring it home. Buy lots of your pet's food. Lots of toilet paper. Staples. Dried milk if you would use it. Flour and yeast, if you have a bread machine. The kind of dry or canned or jarred staples that you would use if you had to live just off what's in the pantry for four months. Ibuprofen and Tylenol, and your prescription medications.

I think that the sweep of this is going to be about three months - about 6 weeks buildup, 6 to 8 weeks intense activity, 6 weeks less and less, until it's gone. Like the flu. Like every other virus that sweeps through the community. Probably will reappear in the fall, and become one of the seasonal coronavirus colds, just worse. It's NOT going to be the zombie apocalypse.

Old 02-26-2020, 07:20 PM

4,376 posts, read 4,803,108 times
"Public utilities didn't go off in China. There's no way they're going off here. Some 80 percent of those infected don't get very sick."

Don't be too sure: China orders their people back to work at gunpoint. In the USA, the people have the guns.

Old 02-26-2020, 08:08 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,351,513 times
Just as with the 1918 flu pandemic there may be several waves of this virus.

Between September and November, a second wave of flu peaks in the United States. This second wave is highly fatal, and responsible for most of the deaths attributed to the pandemic.

Old 02-26-2020, 08:17 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,725,737 times
Not that many people got sick during the first, late Spring wave.

Anyway, community transmission of covid-19 has begun here. Case near Sacramento, CA, no known contact with any known infected people. We should have closed the borders two weeks ago. "And it's too late baby, now, it's too late."

Old 02-26-2020, 08:38 PM

10,104 posts, read 19,317,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I just placed a big order with Walmart.com for canned and dried soups, a thermometer, cans of peaches, tuna, canned meat, dried lentils, canned beans, large economy size juices, and forgot the flour and yeast. That'll go on the next order. All the tomatoes and tomato paste were sold out, as were the packages of mac and cheese. I'm having to do whatever I can without a car so online ordering is the way I'm going.

I've got plenty of paper goods, soap, and medical supplies, so it's mainly food I'm thinking about - except for the thermometer, which we should have had long ago anyway.
Stuff is selling out? Hope its replaced soon

Old 02-26-2020, 10:11 PM

10,104 posts, read 19,317,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I’m wondering how long will be too long to wait to greatly increase supplies vs. wasting money on a virus that might fizzle out as tge weather warms.
Keep your receipts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness